Thread: Any Ex-Smoker Here???

Default Any Ex-Smoker Here???

Hi All,

would like to know fellow Cser who manage to quit smoke. what is the motivation of quiting smoke. how long have you smoke before you quit....

Default Re: Any Ex-Smoker Here???

Quote Originally Posted by spot89 View Post
    Hi All,

would like to know fellow Cser who manage to quit smoke. what is the motivation of quiting smoke. how long have you smoke before you quit....
    Me Confess heheh........Me lor... more then 10 yrs... Very hard to give it up. In the end I gave it up in a bout a week's time. All because I did not want to give the govt anymore money from my ciggies heheh.. g/f could not me to stop, friends also smoking, health was fine..was still cycling around island with no problem or doing 2.414m, I use to do promotions for Salem and Virginia Slims in my ex-company and get many cartons boxes of it to smoke ..how to quit? heheh... Tried so many times.....no way possible.

But all it took was just to see someone face in the paper proclaim he will be increasing the price again by 10 cents. and they only just did not too long !. My time was when a pack of Salem cost $5.00. as that tells you how long ago it was for me heheh...

So...yes...ex-smoker now. I do on very rare parties enjoy the occasional good quality cigars.

Hi All,

i quit just after new year, that was after 7 years of smoking, partly because of my 1 year old son, doesn't want to hurt him, sometime really cannot "tahan" especially good friends offer, always find reasons to "siam"....so far so good.....

Started at 12 yrs old and quited at 23 yrs old. 40 sticks of Camel, Lucky Strike or Marlboro. Got severe morning cough, so quited on advice by gf. That following 1 year was terrible, many nights having dreams of non-stop puffs and still can sense the nicotine pleasure, except without paying...in my nightmares. Sweet dreams ? but next morning have to struggle.

Quitted after 9 years. How? Changed jobs, changed lifestyle, stay away from your good friends who smoke for a while. Basically just take away all the familiar moments that you will smoke and go cold turkey.

Familiar moments include (but not limited to)
    - After lunch puff
    - Kopitiam talk **** puffs
    - Morning puff
    - After game puff
    etc, etc

It's hard staying away from your friends, but that will be the one that's most helpful to you. Don't worry, if they are good friends they will understand. After a few months, you can join them back and not be tempted again.

I'm trying to quit too but always fail..... being smoker for 20 years....hard. BtW does anyone save money more after quiting smoke. i wanted to quit because the saving from quiting smoke is huge $10 x 365 =$$$$ also don't want my baby to see me smoke and learn.... i started today till now smoke 4 liao.....
    you guys quit at once or slowly cut down the amount?

smoked 6yrs, quit for 7yrs
    for the 6yrs i tried to quit twice but unsuccessful

thers no way for u to cut everything at quit smoking ALL at once
    doing so will give u lots of symptoms everyday and eventually u will go back to them
    everything is about being progressive and set a achievable goal towards a smoke free lifestyle

since ur smoking like 2o sticks a day
    u should start reducing them from 16-14-10-8-5-3-0 probably in every 3-4weeks interval
    slowly but surely

i left my cigarette in the office so don't have any at home so far so good 5 stick today

Started in 1979, quit in June 2003. Why??? Money, health, troublesome, more and more places cannot light up, etc. Many reasons. Have to admit, it was the second time I tried. First time in 1991, stop for about 6 months. Then, went overseas. Duty-free cigs very cheap, so buy one carton, lah. After that... you know the story.

Anyway, not easy to quit. I have to say it's both a mental and physical thing. The first few weeks were the worst, especially after makan, when wake up in the morning and when there's nothing to do (idle mind and devil's workshop thing). Sometimes even dream of taking a drag when sleeping!

All the best to anyone trying to kick the habit. Stick it out and you will eventually succeed.

i left my cigarette in the office so don't have any at home so far so good 5 stick today

try 4 sticks per day next week, 3 sticks per day the following week...etc etc, eventually you'll be able to live without it....dedication & determination.

Started at 14 years old and quit at 29. Now I only smoke when I go for my ICT.. Dunno why? Wearing the green just makes me want to smoke and the moment I out-pro, the urge stops..
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

I started at the age of 16 and only stopped in 1993 (after more than 30 years) when I was on two packets a day.

You just have to go cold-turkey and not waste your time by phasing out in small stages.

Even when I got married and promising the wife to stop, I did not for many years.

Health reasons did not bother me and cost was not that much of an issue then.

Until I stopped, I did not realise that I smelled so badly. Now when a smoker walks by me I want to retch. It is marvellous what my wife, clients and friends had to put up with.

Basically it is down to whether you really want to stop. If you do, it is not so bad and may only be a few weeks of running nose (stops after a few days), irritation etc - not like what you see in the movies about drug users going cold turkey on Heroin.

You will feel much healthier, your sex life will improve tremendously, your body and clothes will not smell toxic and most importantly, your bank account will grow and grow - unless you throw it away on drinking, gambling and whores.

Yup cold turkey is the way to go. You try to wean requires a larger amount of will power not to increase back to same status as smoker. Cold turkey makes you think you have no way to go back.

Smoker for 8 years, Non smoker for 6 months Striving on day after day. Try to keep a calendar and mark off days as non-smoker. Once you finish month or so, gift yourself something. Initially its not about saving money but about feeling good. Slowly it becomes a habit and you lose the need to smoke.

Keep at it bro. You will surely succeed.
    Come visit my Flickr :)

Have many try on quiting.. manage to stop years or two and sometime for months.. but still pick up again.

Everytime i quit, i just dump away whatever left and stop.

Everytime i pick up again is either stress or friend.

Can avoid friends that smoke but how to avoid stress from work?

Just thrown away whatever left 2days ago.. so far so good but mind keep thinking of it..

been smoking for nearly 20 years... started with school friend.
    Last edited by soma; 17th January 2009 at 07:38 PM.

Well this is really an intresting one

Yeah i too quit smoking after 16 Years ..used to smoke almost 1 1'2 to 2 pack's everyday.

Well for me cigrate was my best friend always there with me i felt left out when ever i wasn't smoking..so i used to start it again ..

But what changed me one fine day 3 yrs back ,Post lunch Had a smoke ..my 2 years old daughter who came towards me to play simply rejected me ...and closed her nose....Well this hurt me the most .

Well i decided not to smoke and i was sucessful ...yes this is something when i have surprised myself.Yeah its one of my biggest achievment till date.

Well its difficult but then not impossible ..

Also you cannot stop smoking in phases by reducing the frequency ..one can only quit if u stop completely.

Tell everyone that you have quit smoking ..this helps

Cheers
    Sudhir
    Personality can open doors, but only character can keep them open

Motivation for me, was, in fact, money. In 2004 I had moved to HK and was working there but my pay was only half of the average office job there so I felt the pinch. Also, there were rumours of lots of new regulations against smoking in restaurants, parks, other indoor places etc.

Willpower is most important. Made several attempts to quit in the past but all half-hearted; I made those attempts not because of own will but because of factors like nagging by friends and family. Whatever method you use to quit, be it completely stopping, reducing in phases, nicotine replacement therapy etc., you can succeed but only if the will to quit is present; if there are any lingering doubts, you won't succeed. I was delighted with the fact that I managed to buy my first camera with the amount I would have spent on cigarettes for merely 3 months!

Me Me Me! I was a heavy smoker back in NS and my previous job. It all started when I was looking a for job after my poly days. Nothing to do so sharing a pack of cigarettes with some friends was our favourite past time. It was fun back then but now all the money spent on cigarettes is much better saved.

No need to go through rehab or seek help from friends to quit. If you want to quit just stop. That's what I did. Its all in the mind. No more sneezing or coughing.

Hi All,

the mind plays the most important part.

just like obese , they also want to stop eating , but they can't.....
    Objection !!!