Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parents sue Mindef over compensation issues

Default Re: Parents sue Mindef over compensation issues

aiya, just compensate lor, anyway it is tax payers money, our money.
    Objection !!!

Family wins suit

The family of comatose ex-NSF have won their lawsuit against the Defence Ministry. -ST

Fri, Jan 16, 2009
    AsiaOne

THE parents of a former full-time national serviceman, comatose for more than three years after an incident in camp, have won their lawsuit against the Defence Ministry.

The High Court decision paves the way for the family of Jeremy Tan, now 26, to seek disability compensation and medical benefits from Mindef.

On Aug 3, 2005, Mr Tan, then a corporal rostered as duty storeman at Seletar East Camp, was found unconscious at the foot of a building where his bunk was located on the third-level.

Ex-NSF's parents insist he was on duty

THE parents of a former full-time national serviceman (NSF) who has been comatose for more than three years after an incident in camp insisted in court yesterday that he was injured while on duty.

Mr Tan Kian Lee, 50, and Madam Hor Hong Kiow, 47, have taken the Ministry of Defence to court seeking disability compensation and medical benefits for their son Jeremy, who is now 26.

The crux of the case, which opened in the High Court yesterday, was whether Mr Jeremy Tan was injured while he was on duty. Mindef, which has classified his case as a non-service-related injury, stopped subsidising his treatment at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) from March 2007.

Mr Jeremy Tan, then a corporal, was the scheduled duty storeman at Seletar East Camp on Aug 3, 2005. At about 6pm, he was found unconscious on a grass patch at the foot of the block where his bunk was located on the third level. He was later taken to TTSH with severe head injuries.

Although the injuries are consistent with a fall from a height, there were no eyewitnesses and findings by Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) investigators remain inconclusive as to what led to his injuries. The evidence did not point to suicide.

Mr Jeremy Tan's father contended yesterday that his son was on duty as he was still wearing his army T-shirt, trousers and boots when he was found. Mr Tan insisted that his son, who was holding the store keys, was still on duty and was waiting to hand them over to his replacement.

But government lawyers asserted that Mr Jeremy Tan was not at his place of duty at the time. And minutes before he was found unconscious, he had been seen resting in his bunk, pointed out State Counsel Shawn Ho.

Madam Hor told the court that Major Linda Quek from Mindef's Manpower Branch, the liaison officer assigned to the family, had told them the SAF would take care of the hospitalisation costs. 'She told us she would help us appeal to Mindef to cover the medical fees for my son as his injuries arose in the course of his duties.'

Madam Hor said she understood that to mean that Mindef would pay the medical costs until her son recovered.

Major Quek, one of the four witnesses for Mindef who took the stand yesterday, denied making such a promise. Questioned by the couple's lawyer Lau Teik Soon on why she told them she would do her best to help them, she said it was her job to submit all information to the relevant agencies to get the subsidies they are entitled to.The trial continues before Justice Tay Yong Kwang.

This article was first published in The Straits Times on Jan 14, 2009.

Source :- http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/As...16-115218.html

a victory for the people.

i'm glad for the family.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    a victory for the people.

i'm glad for the family.
    the need to seek lawyer's help, this victory is bitter sweet...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    the need to seek lawyer's help, this victory is bitter sweet...
    the significance is deep.

it sent a clear message.

and i dun mean the lawyer part.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    the significance is deep.

it sent a clear message.

and i dun mean the lawyer part.
    u got a point.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Arrow Re: Parents sue Mindef over compensation issues

I'm glad that the family won, their son could have been our friend, brother, father or ourself.

I wish the family all the best when most of us here have forgotten about this case, January 2009.

This is the end for the Clubsnap Kopitiam lawyers for this case as it has been settled by the real lawyers.

I hope they got what they need.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123