Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virgin post: Dilemma of a newbie...

Default Re: Virgin post: Dilemma of a newbie...

There is another thing i love shoot... food! :P

Thanks for your advice, will take them into consideration.

u all got watch jue dui wan mei? the cosmetic surgeon got blinded by flash.

Better be safe than sorry.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

I think you could just ask your photographer friend to take some shots for you.

OR

invest on a DLSR body + 50mm 1.8 (get to it straight away, LOL)

say a canon 1000D or 450D to compliment your IXUS

flashless shooting with babies is much preferrable than bounce-flashing.
    Work with what you have~

Quote Originally Posted by diiva View Post
    There is another thing i love shoot... food! :P

Thanks for your advice, will take them into consideration.
    Food? Then you can take a look at my flickr... plenty of food shots there... mostly with prime 50mm lens.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

for sure get a DSLR. 2nd hand ones quite reasonable. If you like it, can upgrade later. If not, can re-sell at small loss.

Use both Ixus and DSLR. I always have my Powershot S80 with me even when I'm carrying my 450D. I use it for movie mode or when I'm lazy to change lens on the SLR.

The EF 50mm 1.8 ideal for your purposes.

Question: My doc says can bring camera in for C section. BUT. can bring in DSLR? He exact words: " you can bring in a small camera" haha. Maybe i start another thread on this.
    Last edited by unfiltered; 16th January 2009 at 06:42 AM.

Gratz, saw your post that your doc given the "all system go" for bringing your 450D to welcome your newborn.

Ok I have with me a borrowed 40D with dual kit lens for 4 days. Did some test shots of the baby cot in low light situation w/o flash at f3.5 18mm (Av mode), pretty ok.

Tried doing the "front focus background blur" thingy, not so successful. Hehe...

Will try to play around more before returning. I know this is a silly question but how else to test out a dslr? take the same pict with the 40D and my ixus 800IS?

Quote Originally Posted by diiva View Post
    Gratz, saw your post that your doc given the "all system go" for bringing your 450D to welcome your newborn.

Ok I have with me a borrowed 40D with dual kit lens for 4 days. Did some test shots of the baby cot in low light situation w/o flash at f3.5 18mm (Av mode), pretty ok.

Tried doing the "front focus background blur" thingy, not so successful. Hehe...

Will try to play around more before returning. I know this is a silly question but how else to test out a dslr? take the same pict with the 40D and my ixus 800IS?
    Thanks! Baby doing well
    40D is a great camera but if you have only the 18-55 kit, its pretty limiting. Try to borrow or buy the 50 1.8. It shper cheap, street price at $120, try and sell 2nd hand at around $100 also can.

Sending you a PM for more discussion...
    I know I'm a lousy photographer. I just enjoy the PROCESS of taking a picture. EOS 450D

Sorry, a tad late.
    Before you jump onto the DSLR bandwagon, do strongly consider the bulk and weight of the system.
    If you are pretty sure of where your interests lie (newborn baby, food, travel etc), it makes it a lot easier to narrow down the camera format.
    In theory, DSLRs should trash the performance of itty-bitty point & shoots, but the areas where they excel may occur only at the extremes of your shooting preferences. For example, in low light or in cases where you need long long focal lengths that a fixed lens cant match. But, how often would 'you' encounter those scenarios? If the answer is 'rarely', then dont trade the convenience of a small camera for the advantages that you may never need. No point having a do-it-all wonder if its sitting at home cuz it wont fit into a diaper bag.
    About better image quality. How do you intend to use the images that you capture? Sharing over the web? Prints? And if prints, what size would you be printing at?
    Regarding performance, the following link does strongly hint that big ain't always better. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6468-7844

cheers

rf

Thanks unfiltered and rf for your posts.

I only used it on Sun and yesterday night due to need to help out in my uncle's wake. Did occur to me to play around the camera at the wake but I think my aunt would turn me into minced meat.

Looking thru the viewfinder takes abit of getting use to (especially since I'm wearing glasses). And as rf point out, DSLR is alot heavier, esp 40D. But that aside, I find myself can't stop snapping (yesterday's object was my wife's bump). Most shots didn't turn out as I like but I attribute that to not reading the manual and knowing the controls well enough to make better use of the camera. Likely print 4R and for baby blog. Also planning a 100 pict montage project for baby full month...

I think I'm ready to jump in. Looking forward to more guidance from you guys.

Thanks rf for the article. His photos are very well composed and very nice.
    Last edited by diiva; 21st January 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Default And my journey begins...

Hi guys,

Gong Xi Fa Cai to all.

Just thought I update abit on what's been going on. Got my new gears so no more dilemma. Used during the CNY to play around with it. Not a good idea. I should have played around with it earlier and read more.

Noob lesson 1: There is no fixed apenture for everything and its your fault if you forgot to change apenture, turn on IS or focus the wrong things.

Seem like majority of my shots were blur due to me setting too shallow dof (f2.8), not changing it or dunno what to change to, to get all parties in focus (when there are two or more faces) or simply forgetting to use IS (fren told me to turn it off every time I off my camera... ^^).

Noob lesson 2: Having two monitors and both showing different colour (one warmer than the other).

Making editing photos a challenge. Anyone have the same problem and is there any other ways to "calibrate" both to the correct colour without using hardware calibration? One monitor is Viewsonic and another is Dell. Viewsonic has a "sRGB" colour setting, while Dell do not have but can customise R, G, B individually. Been trying to get the Dell to look like the Viewsonic but no success (currently Dell looks more warm and vibrant than Viewsonic).

But overall was a good experience. Gonna be reading up more and shooting more to practise. And yes, experience need to be earned and is not replaceable with gears.

Default Re: And my journey begins...

Something else to add. I using LR2 trial to edit the photos. Seems like I made a mess of it as I took a series of photos but are unable ot copy and paste the settings across all of them (they look different, some too bright some colour off) so I manually set of each and as you may guess, the colours are also off between photos of the series... Anyone else face this before and how do you guys overcome it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12