Thread: What Lens to get?

Default What Lens to get?

Hi Guys,

I have been using my Canon 40D with 17-85mm f4-5.6 for the past 8 months. now i wanted to try other Canon lens or Tamron lens.... I am more into portraits and sometimes walk around town taking candid photos.

Anyone able to advise mi what to get? New lens how much? 2nd hand lens price range how much?

Thanks alot,

Default Re: What Lens to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Hagalogy View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have been using my Canon 40D with 17-85mm f4-5.6 for the past 8 months. now i wanted to try other Canon lens or Tamron lens.... I am more into portraits and sometimes walk around town taking candid photos.

Anyone able to advise mi what to get? New lens how much? 2nd hand lens price range how much?

Thanks alot,
    What is your portrait style? Headshots? Half-body? Full body?

What is your walkaround, candid photo style? Your kit lens is more than good enough for all your needs. You just haven't learned to maximize it's use so far.

As for second-hand prices, there's a "Buy and Sell" section here. Go look. For new prices, look at the pricelist posted in the Canon forum.
    Alpha

second hand... 70-200/4 L.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagalogy View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks alot,
    Since you are more into portraits I recommend that your next lens has an aperture of f/2.8 or lower. Wide apertures are key for shooting portraits. Here is a list for you. The prices reflect new equipment.

Canon 135mm f/2.0 $1380
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 $488
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8 $1560
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS or non-IS $2183 for IS version
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 $495
    Canon 100mm f/2 $561

Also check to see if the lens is specifically designed for APS-C cameras. The lenses above will work on both full frame and APS-C cameras. If you decide to upgrade to a full frame camera, a lens designed for APS-C camera will not work on a full frame. Here is some more information for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C.

Happy shopping
    www.vanhattenphotography.com
    5D, 70-200 f/2.8IS, 50 f/1.4, 24-70 f/2.8, 20 f/2.8, 580EX II

Cool Re: What Lens to get?

i agree with the lenses mention.

basically, prime lenses will be the best options for portraits, esp the 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, 135mm.
    to begin with a small budget, u may try out lenses like 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.4 or 135mm f2.8 (with soft focus).

of course, a zoom lens is helpful when u walking around, so 70-200mm will be good.