Thread: For prints and scanning, use slide film or negatives ?

Default For prints and scanning, use slide film or negatives ?

Would slide film or negatives be better , if my final product would be viewed as medium size prints ? I seemed to have read somewhere that negatives are better suited for printing, and when slides are being printed, some quality may be lost due to conflicting processes. However, almost every other professional out there seem to shoot slides, and they have their photos printed in books or as art pieces in galleries. So......... what say you ?

For film scanning, ... will slides provide greater detail and better colour accuracy ? Negative seems like hard work for my Canoscan 5000f.

It depends if you want large quantity of prints or just a single print. If you want more prints, its much cheaper to do it with negatives. If money is not a problem, slides look much better than negatives. When printing slides, you will definately lose some quality. The print will not look as good as the slide, but they will still be quite good.

For me, the prints from slides seem to come out better than the prints from negatives. I dont know if this is because of the way it is printed, or that I am more careful when shooting with slides.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhi
    It depends if you want large quantity of prints or just a single print. If you want more prints, its much cheaper to do it with negatives. If money is not a problem, slides look much better than negatives. When printing slides, you will definately lose some quality. The print will not look as good as the slide, but they will still be quite good.

For me, the prints from slides seem to come out better than the prints from negatives. I dont know if this is because of the way it is printed, or that I am more careful when shooting with slides.
    Hi,
    hope u can help me with a few queries:
    1. How much is developing slides?
    2. How much is the processing charged?
    3. U mean there's loss of quality when processing photos, but it is still better than negatives?
    4. What film would u recommend?
    I'm thinking of trying out slides for my friend's wedding(just for fun), but
    am not so sure how much the total cost per roll will be.

Thanks