Thread: Invisible People

gizmos314
    Guests

Post Invisible People

I found this blog entry about "Invisible People". I guess itís about the homeless and getting more alertness through a Photo book. The pictures are absolutely stunning (although sad in a sense as well). Overall, I think this is a great effort to gather more awareness.

I was and wondered what people thought of these photographs?
    How do you feel about gathering more awareness?

Original Post:
    http://www.kontain.com/foodstamp/#entries/entry/2503

Default Re: Invisible People

Thanks for sharing...
    I like the photos... very emotive...
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Thanks for sharing Very Nice Pic.

I am no so sure if all of these people are really homeless. When I was in London, I bumped into an old guy who was dressed in a really shabby manner. His clothing wasn't that clean looking, was unshaved and hair pretty messy like those people in the photos. During our conversation, I found out that he lived alone in a small terrance house, not the type we are familiar with, you need to see one to know what I mean. He had no immediate family staying with him, they were all somewhere else but still in the UK. He had few friends as most had passed on. What he likes to do daily is to hand around in the streets, even if it was cold, as he felt that it was just to boring to stay at home. He kept saying that he had no money, too poor to afford anything like cigarettes or drinks. He showed me a cigarette that he had in his pocket, a 'gift' from some other guy he met earlier in the day, kept it for use later in the day.

There are the professional beggars in the streets of America, and possibly many of the great cities.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ore.html?cat=3

http://www.lifeintheusa.com/everyday/panhandlers.htm

It's pretty hard to tell who's who anymore. To me the real invisible people are those that are dumped at the orphanage or old folks home. those who have gone insane and locked up in the asylum.

I am more willing to give to a busker, then someone who acts pathetic and ask for money.

No free lunch in this world.

I studied in UK as well and a lot of them chose to live their life that way

I once gave a man a few quid and when I returned after my shopping I saw him drinking beer (probably bought it with the money I gave him)

After a while, I realised that people would usually give food, socks, clothings instead of money coz they would blow the money away with alcohol and cigarettes and not necessities.

Quote Originally Posted by chisiang View Post

I once gave a man a few quid and when I returned after my shopping I saw him drinking beer (probably bought it with the money I gave him)

After a while, I realised that people would usually give food, socks, clothings instead of money coz they would blow the money away with alcohol and cigarettes and not necessities.
    beer is liquid bread u know.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post

but fibre is lacking...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

consider this, may be the poor chap has no teeth, like what i will be say 10 years down the road? liquid bread is easier to "eat".

also, beer got soluble fibre

http://www.poopreport.com/Doctor/Kno..._and_poop.html
    Last edited by denniskee; 14th January 2009 at 04:06 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by obfuscate View Post
    When I was in London, .......He kept saying that he had no money, too poor to afford anything like cigarettes or drinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    There are the professional beggars in the streets of America, and possibly many of the great cities.
    Pardon my ignorance... but don't these people get govt. handouts?

The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Pardon my ignorance... but don't these people get govt. handouts?

If handout so easy to get..... would anyone still wants to work ??

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    If handout so easy to get..... would anyone still wants to work ??
    That's why many of them are not working what... there was another thread talking about this...
    Not like in Sg lah... govt make us work till we die... cannot retire... retirement age later and later... seriously, after the retirement age, still got any lifespan left?!!

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    That's why many of them are not working what... there was another thread talking about this...
    Not like in Sg lah... govt make us work till we die... cannot retire... retirement age later and later... seriously, after the retirement age, still got any lifespan left?!!
    after official retirement age, got not enough savings den need to get re-introduced back into the labour market. that a meaningful life...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by chisiang View Post

Even worse, some of them are drug addicts and they use the money for "crack" instead.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

I believe most qualify for benefits, but usually the benefits will be converted into beer and ciggies

then some will try to sell you a copy of Big Issues

Actually they pay the big issue people a small fee for each paper and it's then up to them to sell it - in that sense the homeless are empowered as self employed.

i wonder who reads or writes those stuff in big issues... the moment it reaches my hands it will end up in the nearest bin available or I simply pass it to the next homeless I come across so they can sell again

I've my doubts about such 'invisible people'.

Being compassionate is what makes us all human, being overly-compassionate where one overlooks the real reason behind the individual's circumstances (of whether he opts into such a life or is truly being forced by circumstances) is being foolish.