Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Donno which JC to go to..

  1. #21

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    I from NJC.... No JC went to Singapore Poly instead... then took a degree overseas.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    near e4
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by chisiang View Post
    I from NJC.... No JC went to Singapore Poly instead... then took a degree overseas.
    dont make fun of my JC.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    dont make fun of my JC.
    He wasn't referring to your JC, he was referring to his JC lah...
    Aiyohhh... like that also
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, Singapore
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    then i better! I is PHD!

    Poly Halfway Dropout...

    WIN!
    ((=

    oh but go NJC is good..if you're in sports ECA, can tell people that you are in "National Team" for soccer/badminton/tennis/synchronized swimming... very good to bluff girls. shiokable.
    Last edited by antacid; 14th January 2009 at 11:28 PM.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

  5. #25

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    dont make fun of my JC.
    so you also No JC? sorlie lah... why so next time become MP don't summon me can liao

  6. #26

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    dont make fun of my JC.
    It's just an instituition of education. Why the misplaced pride? Lighten up and take a joke.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by YSLee View Post
    It's just an instituition of education. Why the misplaced pride? Lighten up and take a joke.
    will I get sued for defame? slander?

  8. #28

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Hi I got a raw of 8 for my exams. My nett score is 7 after deducting a single bonus point-.- hcl fail FTL

    so i wanted to apply for a jc.

    1)tjc arts(7)
    2)vjc arts(6)
    3)acjc arts(7)

    any ideas? what do they mean by partial cut off point? i noticed vjc partial cop was 6. which means they dont accept 7 pointers? tjc and acjc i can get in but i rather i get posted to vjc. heard their ps uses canon equipment, more convenient for me.

    thanks.
    Goto the JC nearest to your home!

  9. #29
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Doubt it.

    Quote Originally Posted by chisiang View Post
    will I get sued for defame? slander?

  10. #30

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    its for arts stream lol. i got these scores from the jae 2009 guidebook.

    defintely not right somewhere... there will not be enough 6 pointers to fill up these JCs. There are still RJC to fill 1st...

  11. #31

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    yeah actually, very good point. pick somewhere near your place. i live in hougang, used to leave the house before sunrise, get home long after sunset (cos of ccas and all). i dont remember seeing my house in the day time for quite awhile, until i became a serial ponner. hurhur.

    its hella sian when everyone claims to be part of the damn cool '74 gang!' all because they take 74 (from bukit timah on), but deep down in your heart, you know youre the true lim peh/lim bu of the '74 gang' because you take it every morning at 550 in hougang. -shakes head-

  12. #32
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    I never did my pre-university in Singapore, so I wouldn't know the scores and what entry criteria you are assessed on here.

    but I can tell you. for the love of all things human and mammalian, choose a school that is
    1. convenient in terms of ease of access
    2. offers a proper scholastic education to you


    deciding on a school because it uses Brand A of cameras instead of Brand B of cameras isn't exactly the wisest thing to do, seeing how unless you are graded based on the brand of cameras, and that it affects your entry qualifications into university, it really is just a small bit part role in the otherwise important purpose of it all. that is, meeting new friends/girls, forming relationships with people/girls, and going to places where no person has gone to before with friends/girls (I am assuming you are a male of heterosexual orientation, that is.)

    sure, you may claim that because of the incompatibility with your existing system, that you will not be able to use your lenses.... but the companies who hire you in the future aren't really going to give two hoots about it, and neither will you when you reach my age and start reflecting on the wonderful friendships/moments of stupidity induced by stupidity and/or alcohol that were formed at the pre-university level.

    mate, in short... it's not about the destination, but the journey along the way.
    chicken fight!

  13. #33

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Choose a school that can offer what you like to study.
    Location is important as you want to cut down on travelling time wasted.
    Have you considered Poly as well? I find that Poly courses are very practical and those who went to Uni after that score very well.
    In future at work, it is not the "brand-name" of where you had studied, it is how you perform (and also how others deem you perform).

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    In future at work, it is not the "brand-name" of where you had studied, it is how you perform (and also how others deem you perform).
    That's not true... but perhaps only at University level will brand names come into importance in the future working world. Grades are definitely very important too... only for getting the job... after that... it is how you perform on the job. Nobody in the company cares that you got straight A's in an Ivy League if you can't do the job you were employed for!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, Singapore
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    when i was in ACJC, the teachers were only interested in retirement, and the students in having fun.

    during my math tutorial, the teacher sits at the table and says, "Ok, all of you start doing your tutorial now. any questions then you ask me." and she sits there for 90 minutes. and we have fun for 90 minutes.

    i also found that i knew more about economics after 3 weeks than my economics lecturer.

    granted, they did have good teachers who were motivated. but they were all "reserved" for the top few classes. this was easy, because there was only 1 or 2 classes of students with respectable prelim scores.

    no surprise that i moved out of acjc in a hurry after i got my o level results.

    best. move. ever.

    but your experience may vary. i'm sure other people would have had a good education over there. just not me, i guess.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

  16. #36

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    I never did my pre-university in Singapore, so I wouldn't know the scores and what entry criteria you are assessed on here.

    but I can tell you. for the love of all things human and mammalian, choose a school that is
    1. convenient in terms of ease of access
    2. offers a proper scholastic education to you


    deciding on a school because it uses Brand A of cameras instead of Brand B of cameras isn't exactly the wisest thing to do, seeing how unless you are graded based on the brand of cameras, and that it affects your entry qualifications into university, it really is just a small bit part role in the otherwise important purpose of it all. that is, meeting new friends/girls, forming relationships with people/girls, and going to places where no person has gone to before with friends/girls (I am assuming you are a male of heterosexual orientation, that is.)

    sure, you may claim that because of the incompatibility with your existing system, that you will not be able to use your lenses.... but the companies who hire you in the future aren't really going to give two hoots about it, and neither will you when you reach my age and start reflecting on the wonderful friendships/moments of stupidity induced by stupidity and/or alcohol that were formed at the pre-university level.

    mate, in short... it's not about the destination, but the journey along the way.
    i love your philosophy man and i totally agree with it... if only there were more people like you in singapore .
    to my young TS friend...a poly education isn't all that bad either..it's practical and you learn loads...if you want to look at it from a paper perspective, wouldn't a diploma, coupled with a degree be better than an A level cert and a degree? i was in acjc for awhile and didn't quite like it..found them a little stuck up (i'm an ac boy btw)
    Last edited by agentmonkey; 16th January 2009 at 10:46 AM.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    okay the thing is, i dont find tjc suited for me. I need a change of environment as well, after going to bedok every day for the past 4 years(used to study at anglican). For me, I plan to take an arts course with 4H2s. Geog, Hist, Econs and Chemistry. I have friends a year older than me who have studied at TJC for a year, and they tell me the culture there is very relaxed. I do not want to screw my A levels up as I have done with my O's. On the other end of the spectrum, MJC/AJC, which are notorious for their mugging cultures, don't suit me because first and foremost, I am not cut out for mugging. It doesn't matter how close a JC is to my home if I find myself to be incompatible with the kids/lifestyle there.

    By the way, those scores are after deducting bonus points. You have to get 2-4 to get into RJC/HCJC I believe.

    Anyway, I've thought it over. The camera thing's a joke, I just want to get into VJC because as of now, I feel that it is the institution that most suits my needs. Most of my acquaintances are heading there so I won't have to waste time trying to adapt to the new environment. I've submitted my JAE form, VJC arts 1st choice and TJC arts as second. Hopefully I get in. If not, I'll appeal with my prelim results and some of my past achievements. Worst come to worst, its TJC.

    Thanks guys for your input.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Did you put MJC as your 3rd choice???

    Last yr VJC was partial 5, TJC should only be 1 point behind which make it 6. So you might up with your 3rd choice... and if your 3rd choice is popular, you might not even end up there though your points are low enough...

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    I have friends a year older than me who have studied at TJC for a year, and they tell me the culture there is very relaxed. I do not want to screw my A levels up as I have done with my O's. On the other end of the spectrum, MJC/AJC, which are notorious for their mugging cultures, don't suit me because first and foremost, I am not cut out for mugging. It doesn't matter how close a JC is to my home if I find myself to be incompatible with the kids/lifestyle there.

    Anyway, I've thought it over. The camera thing's a joke, I just want to get into VJC because as of now, I feel that it is the institution that most suits my needs. Most of my acquaintances are heading there so I won't have to waste time trying to adapt to the new environment. I've submitted my JAE form, VJC arts 1st choice and TJC arts as second. Hopefully I get in. If not, I'll appeal with my prelim results and some of my past achievements. Worst come to worst, its TJC.
    Wowww... how times have changed! During my time (over a decade ago), TJC was the kiasu muggers and AJC was super slack wan lor! Among those known for being slack were also ACJC (known playing bridge all day long [it's a card game]), CJC, TPJC, etc. And no MJC yet. VJC was quite balanced. I do think VJC is quite a good school to go to. It's not that far from your house too, still East, and so if you feel that the culture suits you, that's a good choice! I hope you get into VJC too!
    Last edited by WuffRuff; 17th January 2009 at 08:34 AM.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  20. #40
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Donno which JC to go to..

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    i love your philosophy man and i totally agree with it... if only there were more people like you in singapore .
    to my young TS friend...a poly education isn't all that bad either..it's practical and you learn loads...if you want to look at it from a paper perspective, wouldn't a diploma, coupled with a degree be better than an A level cert and a degree? i was in acjc for awhile and didn't quite like it..found them a little stuck up (i'm an ac boy btw)
    aww thanks for the compliment. I guess this philosophy was inculcated into me via experiences that I spent away from Singapore and its education system. to me, grades is one thing (because it bloody gets your university placements/job placements, that's why), but the experience to go along with it is equally as important, if not more important (I am a psychologist in training so... I tend to be more associative to cognitive functions and emotions rather than real world occurrences. heh!)


    by the way. were you ever into reef keeping (ala marine fish tank)?
    chicken fight!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •