Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regretted getting 1541T tripod.....

Default Re: Regretted getting 1541T tripod.....

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet100 View Post
    If given the budget.

My main concern is the height and weight.

I stood 1.8m and I have a high but heavy tripod. It ended up I have to tell myself not to carry it after a very bad experience of tracking for 5hours.

Hence, I may have to forego the height and comfort for the weight.

Having said this, 1.55m is really low hor....
    I'm 1.84. I have the same issue with weight more than height. If the tripod+head is 2-3kg I will have to pack less (maybe just socks and underwear only!). Hiking the whole day with 2-3 kg tripod you may not use is quite a problem.

My current solution with the 1541T is this. I use one of those cargo pants with knee padding, so if I know I need to have a stable tripod, I make sure I dont use the center column and I kneel down. Padding on the knee helps make it comfortable. If I need to use the center column for whatever reason, I use mirror lock-up on the camera, and that usually helps.

Again, for hiking, unless you have Sherpas to help you carry, weight is the issue. And for me.. better to have a short tripod than no tripod at all. Hope that helps.
    Leicanaut & Nikonaut @ http://nangka.org/events

if you like working out... not much of a problem to carry a slightly heavier tripod... i carry the 190proxb even when travelling, it's not really that much of a weight problem. but then again... what's 2kg compared to 80kg right, the better thing is, i get to look and share nice pics when i get home :-)

Quote Originally Posted by blee5325 View Post
    if you like working out... not much of a problem to carry a slightly heavier tripod... i carry the 190proxb even when travelling, it's not really that much of a weight problem. but then again... what's 2kg compared to 80kg right, the better thing is, i get to look and share nice pics when i get home :-)

What kinda travelling u r talking abt here?? Do u know that even 100 grams does a big matter for trekking / hiking??

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    What kinda travelling u r talking abt here?? Do u know that even 100 grams does a big matter for trekking / hiking??
    any type, just a matter of what you're packing into your backpack. most of the time, if i'm going trekking or hiking, i'll just pack to the minimum, usually only some dried snacks, a bottle of water, camera and tripod.

works for me :-) unless you're going for a speed hike, then i don't think you should bring anything but water.

sure there'll be different preference, that's why i think a lot of ppl actually wants a light tripod to bring along, because they mind the weight they pack on.

I believe proper weight distribution is important. As mentioned, a few kg on top of a person's weight isn't that much. I think a human should be able to easily carry an additional 10% of their own weight. The main problem is that the weight is normally concentrated on a few areas, increasing fatigue.

Also bulk is a problem. I have to say that's my main problem with bringing a tripod out.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I'm 1.84. I have the same issue with weight more than height. If the tripod+head is 2-3kg I will have to pack less (maybe just socks and underwear only!). Hiking the whole day with 2-3 kg tripod you may not use is quite a problem.

My current solution with the 1541T is this. I use one of those cargo pants with knee padding, so if I know I need to have a stable tripod, I make sure I dont use the center column and I kneel down. Padding on the knee helps make it comfortable. If I need to use the center column for whatever reason, I use mirror lock-up on the camera, and that usually helps.

Again, for hiking, unless you have Sherpas to help you carry, weight is the issue. And for me.. better to have a short tripod than no tripod at all. Hope that helps.
    Yes, I fully agree with you and I think we are totally alike in our takes in the need for hiking.

I usually spend a some time before hiking trip to think what to bring. I normally work along the line between the ratio of weight and enjoyment. I will try to minimize the weight I need to carry so that I will have more energy to spare on the trip for enjoyment. Of course, another of other many factors is the ease to deploy and keep the tripod.

Having said these, doesn't mean that other factors are not important but this just work for me in prioritizing items into my sack.

The very basic principle is that during my hiking trip, I shall not want to be reminded of the feel in doing road marching

OK. Maybe I can tell you a little more about what I do when I hike. I do plenty of day long hikes, and sometimes up to a whole week. I need to pack in clothes and food, camelbak and so on. But I go light, so 35-40L backpack is all. I strap my 1541T with Really Right Stuff's BH25 on the side of the pack, so I make sure I get compression straps on the side. 1541T+RRS BH25 is enough to handle... hmm. I've tried a Nikon D2 and 14-24 on it before. I think a 80-200 or 70-200 f2.8 lens is probably pushing it too much already. If you call up RRS they will tell you it should handle 70-200 lenses without a problem. I dont know the other ballheads unfortunately.

The whole tripod combo is probably 1.3 kg. I wrap the folded tripod in 1-2 camera wrap, protecting the ends, and it is all inside the free Gitzo cloth bag which doesn't add any additional weight. You will need the little ballistic nylon camera wraps, or anything with light padding to protect the ends becuase I have dropped the tripod on concrete before and it was not fun.

for longer multiday trips I usually will to pack in 1 DSLR (for serious landscaping), 1 Rangefinder (for people), and 1 point and shoot (for everything else) in a belt pouch for easy access. Its usually 2 lenses for the DSLR (either 12-24mm or 17-35mm and 105mm Macro) & 50mm for RF. Which is probably too much, but thats what I like to work with.

That's why need to find other areas to cut down on weight. I find that during hikes you almost always encounter slopes, or have to jump over gaps, so got to make sure, like you said, not like going to the army.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    OK. Maybe I can tell you a little more about what I do when I hike. I do plenty of day long hikes, and sometimes up to a whole week. I need to pack in clothes and food, camelbak and so on. But I go light, so 35-40L backpack is all. I strap my 1541T with Really Right Stuff's BH25 on the side of the pack, so I make sure I get compression straps on the side. 1541T+RRS BH25 is enough to handle... hmm. I've tried a Nikon D2 and 14-24 on it before. I think a 80-200 or 70-200 f2.8 lens is probably pushing it too much already. If you call up RRS they will tell you it should handle 70-200 lenses without a problem. I dont know the other ballheads unfortunately.

The whole tripod combo is probably 1.3 kg. I wrap the folded tripod in 1-2 camera wrap, protecting the ends, and it is all inside the free Gitzo cloth bag which doesn't add any additional weight. You will need the little ballistic nylon camera wraps, or anything with light padding to protect the ends becuase I have dropped the tripod on concrete before and it was not fun.

for longer multiday trips I usually will to pack in 1 DSLR (for serious landscaping), 1 Rangefinder (for people), and 1 point and shoot (for everything else) in a belt pouch for easy access. Its usually 2 lenses for the DSLR (either 12-24mm or 17-35mm and 105mm Macro) & 50mm for RF. Which is probably too much, but thats what I like to work with.

That's why need to find other areas to cut down on weight. I find that during hikes you almost always encounter slopes, or have to jump over gaps, so got to make sure, like you said, not like going to the army.
    Thank you so much on sharing the components that you bring along for different type of hiking.

For lenses, I usually bring along a wide angle (10-22), because is light, and my camera would be mounted with 24-105mm. Occasionally i will lug along my flash too.

After reading most of the tracks here on the tracking experiences, I very convinced that I would need a 1541T. Hence, I went for it already. Now I shall never look back like many pals shared here.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven100 View Post
    Thank you so much on sharing the components that you bring along for different type of hiking.
    For lenses, I usually bring along a wide angle (10-22), because is light, and my camera would be mounted with 24-105mm. Occasionally i will lug along my flash too.
    After reading most of the tracks here on the tracking experiences, I very convinced that I would need a 1541T. Hence, I went for it already. Now I shall never look back like many pals shared here.
    Yup, that is the sort of combo I carry when I trek in the mountains (Nepal, New Zealand, US etc). As for those who claim it's too light, that's a very simple issue to overcome. The tripod comes with a hook at the base so one can easily hang some weight from it for extra stability.

Quote Originally Posted by doodah View Post
    Yup, that is the sort of combo I carry when I trek in the mountains (Nepal, New Zealand, US etc). As for those who claim it's too light, that's a very simple issue to overcome. The tripod comes with a hook at the base so one can easily hang some weight from it for extra stability.
    Nice photos on your smugmug doodah... do I detect the use of graduated NDs on some of the landscape photos?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12