Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Its a shame that...

  1. #1

    Angry Its a shame that...

    due to a bunch of black sheeps that now most ebay sellers are not shipping items to Singapore... below reply was what I've got from a seller when I emailed him to try my luck in purchasing one of his item (even though its less than usd$10) ...

    "Sorry, but every single time I got screwed from Singapore buyers was through PayPal concerning credit card fraud. It's a shame that legitimate buyers are affected by this, but I will have to stand by my rules. There are several other people selling them on eBay. I would suggest purchasing from them. Best of luck in finding what you're looking for. "

    He even specifically put Singapore so I guess it must be that bad.. so sickening.......

  2. #2
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Hi Charvy

    sad to hear but this is nothing new as there are a lot of legitimate retailers that refuse to ship here due to singaporeans who abuse the return policy especially for items like dvds. They just buy one, watch it and return it for another title. Yesh! there are such cheap skates around.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong
    there are a lot of legitimate retailers that refuse to ship here due to singaporeans who abuse the return policy especially for items like dvds. They just buy one, watch it and return it for another title. Yesh! there are such cheap skates around.
    wah that is really gross behavior

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong
    Hi Charvy

    sad to hear but this is nothing new as there are a lot of legitimate retailers that refuse to ship here due to singaporeans who abuse the return policy especially for items like dvds. They just buy one, watch it and return it for another title. Yesh! there are such cheap skates around.
    My gawd, these type of ppl existed?? No wonder now Singapore is blacklisted in some retailers' list... I hope the situation doesn't get worse else won't be able to get anything off from ebay or dvd retailers.. sigh....

  5. #5
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Sad.

    But I'm not surprised. I've met with similar experiences myself.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong
    Hi Charvy

    sad to hear but this is nothing new as there are a lot of legitimate retailers that refuse to ship here due to singaporeans who abuse the return policy especially for items like dvds. They just buy one, watch it and return it for another title. Yesh! there are such cheap skates around.
    I think some of reason may be due to singapore credit cards being on the blacklist for high fraud. (read a report saying that)

    Local banks's cards like DBS, OCBC and UOB tend to have a more difficult time being accepted as these banks do not have a reach in countries like US or Japan..etc

    They do not have many overseas branches and many places never even heard of such names. and are relucant to accept it.

    Banks like American Express, HSBC, Citibank, Standard Chartered, tend to have a worldwide network of branches, in many countries and cities and is more likely to be well received.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    63

    Default

    On the other hand, I got cheated big time (more than 3 digits) by a European seller for a 5700 on ebay! and all ebay said was, sorry dude, tough luck... and then on another occasion, I tried to buy another SLR body, I was almost about to pay the seller and ebay sent an e-mail saying that the seller had been suspended! So almost twice liao.

    But I can understand from the sellers point of view. I contacted the local police in Australia (for my first case) and they forward my case to Interpol. And while Interpol managed to track down the exact bank where the culprit took the money from, they were unable to do anything more. So for the sellers, it is hard for them too because they too have much to lose.

    But while I have lost trust in Ebay and other auction sites, I refuse to allow my experiences to hamper me from getting a good deal. I think it is unfortunate that some sellers think that ALL singaporeans are like that, makes us look like Nigerian money swindlers... But with internet perceptions, these things catch on fast and there is no hard and fast way to eradicate the misconception, that's the beauty of information liberalisation. sigh...

    Hope you find another bargain charvy!...and yes, I am enjoying my new toy immensely!

  8. #8

    Default

    Hey there cafe vienna... sorry to know u had such bad experiences.. I've done deals in ebay before.. so far so good... *fingers crossed*

    Doubt I can find a similar item as he's the only sellers that has it.. ah well..

    Glad that you're enjoying the cam! Told ya the stuffs are in great shape..


    Quote Originally Posted by cafe vienna
    On the other hand, I got cheated big time (more than 3 digits) by a European seller for a 5700 on ebay! and all ebay said was, sorry dude, tough luck... and then on another occasion, I tried to buy another SLR body, I was almost about to pay the seller and ebay sent an e-mail saying that the seller had been suspended! So almost twice liao.

    <snip> ..

    Hope you find another bargain charvy!...and yes, I am enjoying my new toy immensely!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Yes Thanks! I have also convinced people that the 5700 is the way to go (without showing them the lowlight incapability...heehee)

    Surprisingly, the video function on the 5700 is much sharper than a Sony DSC-p10 under the same conditions... how interesting

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •