Thread: why build something up only to tear it down again??

Default why build something up only to tear it down again??

i was just thinking today, after reading and listening the whole slew of articles and news reports on 938 - why build something up only to tear it down with your own hand again?

the government has been parading around the message of accepting and trying to remove the stigma of seeking treatment from the imh for the last at least one year, then now, because one of their holy breathren has been inflicted an injury, the man's name and imh are inseparable terms in the media. isnt this going to make the blind sheep in singapore reaffirm their stigma and misgivings of people who go to the imh in the first place?

just ranting.

Default Re: why build something up only to tear it down again??

Quote Originally Posted by pfurr View Post
    why build something up only to tear it down with your own hand again?
    question.

who built it up? who tore it down?

iirc, hpb cos i used to remember listening to radio segments where they tried to get rid of the misconception. and IIRC, this one i'm really not sure, there might have been a lousy drama from mediacock about it.

about the tearing down, go take a look at all the different news channels and papers, the imh and the man's name all exist within the same sentence.

well, different people tore it down. that's the way it is.

more importantly, is how society reacts. it seeks to condemn, to judge, rather than to attain understanding of such conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    more importantly, is how society reacts. it seeks to condemn, to judge, rather than to attain understanding of such conditions.
    eh, who u refering to as 'it'?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    eh, who u refering to as 'it'?
    i believe society is not a "he" or "she".

it is an "it".

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i believe society is not a "he" or "she".

it is an "it".
    okie.

pity the trust is being destroyed so soon, liddat who dare to step into IMH...?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Stigmas and discrimination, for various reasons, will always exist, sad to say.

It stems largely from ignorence, and blind fear, and the channels through which they transverse are herd instincts.

If you thought Singapore was bad, even racism exists in so called 'more open' countries except that fanaticism for political correctness seems to have altered the balance a bit.

I donlt think what hpb did or was allowed/funded to do was enough, and certainly niot sustained for long enough for the message to penetrate. At most, it had no to minimal impact (I suspect, but there again, any survey and stastitic can be skewed). I don't see that as 'building up' something, really.

Even if they did, or perhaps especially if they managed to move past penetration and onto information and ideally, consideration, something like what happened would have little or no impact because people would have been informed enough to know better. They would be able to think and discern.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 13th January 2009 at 12:26 AM.