Thread: Feature or flaw? When the edge is occupied by some small thing..

Question Feature or flaw? When the edge is occupied by some small thing..

ICI Dulux paint commercials always have something in one edge of the picture..
    Without it, the pictures look weird.. How to explain that?

http://www.dulux.com.sg/eventsnpromos/allinonepromo.jsp

Default Re: Feature or flaw? When the edge is occupied by some small thing..

which "items in one edge" are your referring?

all I can see is having some items at the foreground, as such, it create depths in the photos.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    which "items in one edge" are your referring?

all I can see is having some items at the foreground, as such, it create depths in the photos.
    You must click "Continue" to see the icons on next page..
    Every icon has either half a chair, half cup, edge of a small table etc on either left or right edge..

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    You must click "Continue" to see the icons on next page..
    Every icon has either half a chair, half cup, edge of a small table etc on either left or right edge..
    Those items are deliberately framed there to break the symmetry. Symmetrical composition usually looks clinical and unpleasant.

I think this thread could have been under General instead of Kopitiam because it is related to photographic art.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 12th January 2009 at 06:56 PM.

I guess it somewhat prevents people from looking at the photos like there's a smiley face inside?

It also gives the perception of depth. Especially for this spot, you can't play with lights and shadows on the walls because that's the main product. Without it, it will seem like a slide show of still image panning across the screen.

The foreground object also provides continuity so viewers don't feel a weird jump in shot size from shot to shot when it transits.

It isn't a flaw, but rather just one of the many methods of film languange
    Last edited by viix; 13th January 2009 at 01:09 AM.

Interesting observation!
    This is one of the more interesting topics I've come across here... makes me think...
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by viix View Post
    It also gives the perception of depth. Especially for this spot, you can't play with lights and shadows on the walls because that's the main product. Without it, it will seem like a slide show of still image panning across the screen.

The foreground object also provides continuity so viewers don't feel a weird jump in shot size from shot to shot when it transits.

It isn't a flaw, but rather just one of the many methods of film languange
    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Those items are deliberately framed there to break the symmetry. Symmetrical composition usually looks clinical and unpleasant.

I think this thread could have been under General instead of Kopitiam because it is related to photographic art.
    thanks.. what kind of books can one read to learn such knowledge?
    does it fall into the school of art or school of mass communication?

thanks.. what kind of books can one read to learn such knowledge? does it fall into the school of art or school of mass communication?
    You can read it in books on film making and books on aesthetic sciences.. it's presented quite palatable for beginners..

I read it from Art History though.. Mass comms is more about concept and advertising/PR than the visual language. All these are derivatives from the era of the renaissance masters (could be earlier but mostly documented in this era sans the Egyptian pyramids) where art and science were deeply studied and theorized.

Along the lines came about the "De Divina Proportione", Golden Ratio, and the often misquoted rules of third in here to the various art movement that created the various film languages dominated by both Realism and surrealism school of thoughts (and their sub culture movement and other not so prominent movement)

It's quite a lot to read but there are some dominant works that theorize almost every art form we see today. Be it film, art, photography, architecture, fashion, politics..

You can probably read some of davinci's work and start from his concept of aesthetic science.. Along the way as you read, you see how politics, culture and religion changed the world and art landscape as we evolved.. It can be pretty confusing and once you go deep into it, you'd start to take sides with certain art movements

(PS: I ain't a art historian major so I may have misquoted but it's definition is somewhat along that line~)
    Last edited by viix; 13th January 2009 at 04:04 PM.