Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: traveling lens to intro...?!

  1. #1

    Default traveling lens to intro...?!

    hi...wondering..is there any lens tat cover 18mm to let say..200mm or 250mm or even 300mm at low price of $500...or perhaps..$500 for 2nd and...?!
    if there is...will e lens function better than 18-55mm IS?...

    thx for readin..
    sorry if require some spoon feeding..but..it seems tat there is a nid to ask coz is pretty hard to google it since is hard to compare it through online..
    cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    hi...wondering..is there any lens tat cover 18mm to let say..200mm or 250mm or even 300mm at low price of $500...or perhaps..$500 for 2nd and...?!
    if there is...will e lens function better than 18-55mm IS?...

    thx for readin..
    sorry if require some spoon feeding..but..it seems tat there is a nid to ask coz is pretty hard to google it since is hard to compare it through online..
    cheers

    What camera body are you using? Sigma have some mega zoom for some of the mount.... but given the price I doubt it have OS

  3. #3

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    the tamron 18-250? or sigma 18-200 OS... but i think canon one is better, above ur but above ur budget... 18-55 should still have better IQ though.
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

  4. #4
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by EOS Revolution View Post
    the tamron 18-250? or sigma 18-200 OS... but i think canon one is better, above ur but above ur budget... 18-55 should still have better IQ though.
    I have tried the 18-55IS & the 18-200IS, personally I don't feel that the IQ for the 18-55IS is better... as it also suffer from barrel distortion at wide angle.

  5. #5

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Oh...i'm using 450D...
    actually hoh..i dunno wat's barrel distortion...will research when free..NS pull off lots of my time...sad

  6. #6
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    Oh...i'm using 450D...
    actually hoh..i dunno wat's barrel distortion...will research when free..NS pull off lots of my time...sad
    Try shooting with your kit lens in 18mm, and take photo of a few buildings on the extreme left & right side of your picture.

    You should see that the building does not look straight... but curve right? To me for mega zoom lens, the IS is very very important...

    The reason why I choose the Canon version instead of the Tamron (18-270mm), is because the Tamron version have an aperture of F6.4 but Canon only F5.6.

  7. #7

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    for TS..i think a slight distortion is very impt.

    so..18-250 or even the older 18-200 for Tamron is bang for bucks..

    just me 2 cents

  8. #8

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    yo bro..so...any idea how much would it b for 18-250 or 18-200?...
    when it comes to far range as in..200mm...will e IQ drop way a lot?

    so far..thx for e responses!
    cheers!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    for TS..i think a slight distortion is very impt.

    so..18-250 or even the older 18-200 for Tamron is bang for bucks..

    just me 2 cents
    I think IS is more important than distortion... coz it is easier to correction distortion than camera shake...

  10. #10

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I have tried the 18-55IS & the 18-200IS, personally I don't feel that the IQ for the 18-55IS is better... as it also suffer from barrel distortion at wide angle.
    Only problem is, the 18-200's barrel distortion at the wide end is even more pronounced than the 18-55's. Add the exorbitant price tag, and the higher corner-to-corner resolving power of the 18-55, the superzoom is unsurprisingly disliked by many, myself included. Biggest advantage of the 18-200 is the convenience factor.

    TS, a popular option to complement the kit lens is the 55-250, which definitely fits your budget. Worth considering if you don't mind changing lenses. If not, then I guess you're stuck with trying to get a second-hand superzoom.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    West Singapore
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Sigma 18-200 OS ...
    Regards

  12. #12
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Only problem is, the 18-200's barrel distortion at the wide end is even more pronounced than the 18-55's. Add the exorbitant price tag, and the higher corner-to-corner resolving power of the 18-55, the superzoom is unsurprisingly disliked by many, myself included. Biggest advantage of the 18-200 is the convenience factor.
    To me distortion is still distortion... Performing a PP correcting of 2% or 5% distortion take the same time... As for corner to corner IQ (18-200mm) it is still alright, unless you are pixel peeping on the the edge of the photo which most lens suffer from the same issue too...

  13. #13

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    To me distortion is still distortion... Performing a PP correcting of 2% or 5% distortion take the same time... As for corner to corner IQ (18-200mm) it is still alright, unless you are pixel peeping on the the edge of the photo which most lens suffer from the same issue too...
    Yes, but for that price? Like I said, the value of lenses is up to the individual to decide. In this case, it's convenience vs better IQ, which again is dependent on what you shoot. For some subjects, you don't need to pixel peep at extreme corners to see the difference in detail resolution. TS still has a budget to consider, and for that budget, the 18-200 doesn't fit.

  14. #14

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    yo morning...i think i'll go into 55-250mm IS..
    actually had this in mind for sometime..but tinking of changin lens...is quite a trouble...but hoh...for e sake of IQ wise....chaning of lens might b sort of only choice for my current budget ...
    hence..i'll jus go ahead wif 55-250IS bah..since it is pretty a versatile yet budget lens too..

    morning smileZ!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Yes, but for that price? Like I said, the value of lenses is up to the individual to decide. In this case, it's convenience vs better IQ, which again is dependent on what you shoot. For some subjects, you don't need to pixel peep at extreme corners to see the difference in detail resolution. TS still has a budget to consider, and for that budget, the 18-200 doesn't fit.
    Hmm... it seem like the ultra-portable (12.1 inch) vs the typical (14.4 inch) laptop... For the same specification the smaller laptop (excluding Netbook) cost more than the bigger version .

    For me it is the lens that you use frequent that is useful for you, and not the lens in the camera bag or dry box... I agree people have different shooting styles...

    To each own...

  16. #16

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    A brand new Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 lens shall cost about $600 (+/-).. I owned one and it served me well for several overseas trips. No hussle of carrying/changing bulky lens. I'm satisfied with the IQ, though not the best.

  17. #17
    Member skylet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    yo morning...i think i'll go into 55-250mm IS..
    actually had this in mind for sometime..but tinking of changin lens...is quite a trouble...but hoh...for e sake of IQ wise....chaning of lens might b sort of only choice for my current budget ...
    hence..i'll jus go ahead wif 55-250IS bah..since it is pretty a versatile yet budget lens too..

    morning smileZ!


    good choice to go with 55-250mm

  18. #18

    Default Re: traveling lens to intro...?!

    somehow...i got myself e 55-250..2nd hand for a proper price..
    though e zoom ring n focus ring isn't smooth..but..tat's not a matter too..go gym a bit often n problem will b solve...lol..kidding..
    er...some how..i feel tat..jus 55-250mm is gd enough for a 450d...the range seem jus nice..er..perhaps 18-55mm will jus b a spare lens tat will b hardly touch liao..
    lol...
    no regret for 55-250...after all..e price is sweet..
    next will b flash..haha...perhaps nissin 622i will do..
    hehe..
    cheers

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •