Thread: Are there any public attorneys that handle bankruptcy cases?

Default Are there any public attorneys that handle bankruptcy cases?

Trying to help a friend who needs legal advice for filing bankruptcy, are there any public attorneys that can assist with such cases? Where to start with these things? Sorry, new to Singapore, relatively.

Default Re: Are there any public attorneys that handle bankruptcy cases?

You can try the directory in the law society website:

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/

Great, thanks for the link... Tried googling but results weren't as useful as the link you gave.

vince123123
    Guests

When you say public attorneys, do you mean you want to get free legal aid? It would be quite different from say a paying case.

The law soc directory is a good starting point as illustrated by the member above.

Well, free would be good as the person is already broke...

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    why don't u try the credit bureau?
    they might be able to help.
    personally i don't think filing for bankrupty is a good idea.

Far as I am aware.....it will cost you money to get yourself bankrupt. What most would do is get the bank or loan company to bankrupt you, they bear the cost. I think it is as much as $2,000 to get a lawyer to do this.

Banks would try to hassle you to pay up, go to your house to intimidate and embarrassed you and get the court's baliff to come to your place to tag your personal stuff for auction and if all else fail, then they will bankrupt you. That is what my accountant told me.

Bankruptcy should be the last thing you want to do. It can ruin your chance of securing another loan. Almost impossible and can take up to 6 yrs to be lifted from your credit record at the Credit Bureau. . Anything you buy beyond the basic is monitor by a court official who will be in charge of your money and purchase. He/she will also be approving or disapproving any oversea travels you have to make. I recall it is very troublesome and I heard bankruptcy is not like before where if you faithfully pay your debts for 3 yrs or so and they might agree to let you off..something to that effect. The new rule is, you keep paying till you finishing paying the entire debt. They do this as a lot try to make use of this to escape paying so govt put a stop to it. I think the banks are also happy for this as they don't have to write it all off. God know how long that will take. That's the general thing that I know. Hope it is accurate enough. If anyone knows better chip in to correct me.

Yeap exactly what sammy said. That should be the absolute last thing to do.

Thanks for the advice.

The thing is, the debt amount is quite high and spans over several banks. The subject is very ill (cancer, as mentioned) and unless they're willing to slash a HUGE % (like over 50%) and spread it over 5 years, there's no way he can repay the bank and pay for his treatments at the same time. If he's not ill, then his wage should be able to cover the debt if spread over 5-6 years, but since he's sick, that option guarantees death for him, literally.

Obtaining loans for a flat or car, or anything else would pretty much be out of the question and frankly, not in his plans as he's not a Singaporean either.

Medication and treatments will keep him alive and employed, the banks have been unreceptive with payment plans despite multiple requests.

BTW, please don't pass judgment (nobody have, but I'd expect some coming from flamers) assume that I'm asking for pity, I'm not, and I know he's wrong to have borrowed so much and spiraled down to this, but the problem is there already and I'm hoping that I can make his life a little easier by finding legal advice when he gets back to Singapore (he's abroad getting treatment as it's much cheaper and his records are back in his home country).

There's really no assets to speak of that can be recouped, I helped him clear out his abandoned rented flat (his rent payment will only last until January) and there's really nothing of value there, I'd say give or take a total of S$500 value, if not less.

He wants to come back to continue his life, and hopefully, be able to start over. The financial burden takes a back seat to his health, but once he gets his health back, the financial problem is still there.

I'm quite confused, though. Aren't you filing for bankruptcy because you can't afford to pay the debt? If you're still expected to pay the debt in full, then why file bankruptcy in the first place? Can't the debtor just continue paying the minimum and just leave it off when he/she dies? That's kind of like the same thing.

@Nisa/Sammy, thanks a lot btw

Thanks for the advice.

The thing is, the debt amount is quite high and spans over several banks. The subject is very ill (cancer, as mentioned) and unless they're willing to slash a HUGE % (like over 50%) and spread it over 5 years, there's no way he can repay the bank and pay for his treatments at the same time. If he's not ill, then his wage should be able to cover the debt if spread over 5-6 years, but since he's sick, that option guarantees death for him, literally.

Obtaining loans for a flat or car, or anything else would pretty much be out of the question and frankly, not in his plans as he's not a Singaporean either.

Medication and treatments will keep him alive and employed, the banks have been unreceptive with payment plans despite multiple requests.

BTW, please don't pass judgment (nobody have, but I'd expect some coming from flamers) assume that I'm asking for pity, I'm not, and I know he's wrong to have borrowed so much and spiraled down to this, but the problem is there already and I'm hoping that I can make his life a little easier by finding legal advice when he gets back to Singapore (he's abroad getting treatment as it's much cheaper and his records are back in his home country).

There's really no assets to speak of that can be recouped, I helped him clear out his abandoned rented flat (his rent payment will only last until January) and there's really nothing of value there, I'd say give or take a total of S$500 value, if not less.

He wants to come back to continue his life, and hopefully, be able to start over. The financial burden takes a back seat to his health, but once he gets his health back, the financial problem is still there.

I'm quite confused, though. Aren't you filing for bankruptcy because you can't afford to pay the debt? If you're still expected to pay the debt in full, then why file bankruptcy in the first place? Can't the debtor just continue paying the minimum and just leave it off when he/she dies? That's kind of like the same thing.

@Nisa/Sammy, thanks a lot btw
    okie... I am sorry for saying this.
    But i think it's better off for him to stay away from Singapore, unless he can get job which will help him to pay off.

I think he should try Credit Bureau frist before doing anything. SEriously, they have more experiences talking to the debtors than us individuals.

As for the future after bankruptcy... he will still have to pay off everything before they will release him from being a bankrupt. And he will need to give a detailed report to his OA every 3 month (I think) about his spending. And eben if he's dead... his OA will take away whatever is left in his CPF or whatever is left in his estate to pay his debts.

DEAD either way?!!! A small suggestion.... get him/her to call sos and tell them he/she is contemplating if suicide is the only way out due to this current situation with finances and health. SOS should be able to council him/her and point him/her towards legal and medical help. Even can even help escalate his/her plight to country high comm.

NISA: Thanks for replying again. He does have a job here and to add to Skiver's comment, he did go through that that's why he left SG last month, hoping to end everything (illness and debt) through that manner, which we (friends and family) were able to stop him in time. He does have a job here, as I was saying, and it pays decently (4.5K-ish pre-tax), then again, he'd probably need 1K+ for basic living (rent, food, PUB, etc) and quite a bit for his infusion treatments. He's going through radiation and chemo right now (not in SG), but he plans and wants to come back before March to resume his job (he's on extended MC right now).

Questions:

1) If he's employed, can he still file for bankruptcy?
    2) What do you mean by "released him from bankruptcy"?

What are your other suggestions? Clearly, he doedn't want to weasel out of the situation and want to handle it the "right" way, but on the other hand, the creditors aren't exactly cooperating with finding a balance between his medical and debt payment.

okie.. there are alot of complications as well.

1) yes he can file for bankrupty if he is employed. Sometimes his job doesn't allow a bankrupt to be hired.

2) well... i am sure one day he want to be a free man right? released = paying off the debts. but this would still remain in his credit record. I think at least for the next 7 years.

the thing is also i dunno how it work with a foreigner...

Thanks Nisa...

Issue 1 isn't a problem, he reports to me and none of the SG personnel has a direct say to his hiring/termination as we don't report to the local office.
    Issue 2 the credit record issue he can live with as I don't think he should or want to live with credit anymore hehe. Ideally, we hope that the bank can work out something with him that'll allow him to have enough money for his medication while paying off his debt.

Thanks again for your advice. I'll research more on these matters so he'll have less to think of as he's going through grueling chemo and radiation treatment for the next month or so.

Smile Re: Are there any public attorneys that handle bankruptcy cases?

one can file to make oneself a bankrupt. but, it does need some $. i do not know the procedures though.