Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless in Singapore... NOT!

Default Re: Wireless in Singapore... NOT!

So far, most major airports which I have visited like Abu Dhabi, Dubai, SFO, HK, KL, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo have free internet access. Which is good enough to check emails and surf the net.

Changi Airport is ok lar but can be improve further for those visitors who like to use their own personal laptops instead of those free kiosk which is only 15 mins of usage. I would call it a world class airport but not world class internet connection.

As for Wireless@SG, I really do not know why some have signal but no access. They say it's free usage but only certain hotpots are workable. I rather use 3.5G Broadband as you can surf almost anywhere.......without interruption with a price to pay lar.

As a matter of fact, why are you working classified business info in the public, and expect to use the public free network to transfer data of such, it is a terrible bleach of security. I dont wish to get too technical, but if you are not log on with an account that can identify who you are and where you are, it is very hard to know who is the user, and this prove a big issue if someone is to misuse this to commit crimes.

Hack some guy in the airport, get his personal particulars, log in his whatever bank account and do whatever you want, then, people will start complaining why is this happening to me.

The same goes for EXIF file, you will complain why it is so technical, and aint photography is all about art? When you lost your photo to some guy misusing it for commercial uses and then you will realise luckily i have the original raw EXIF to prove the photo is mine.

Sure wireless@sg is slow and one hack of lousy customer experience, but at least it is safe, sucessful in the security end.

I tell my workers that they can go off for CNY, that is work. I wonder how much can that business information fetch.
    You got my point on the EXIF wrong. Read again.
    Wireless@SG is not safe, it is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    In this forum we are guiding and pointing numerous newbies to read and learn the very basics of photography, telling them that without understanding exposure and other details it is just lucky trial & error to get good pictures. But when it comes to other topics suddenly just clicking on "Connect" buttons on trial & error basis is acceptable?
    I do understand user perspective: it has to work, preferable easy and more preferable reading the user's mind in advance. To a certain extend I agree here but in the same way as we know that a car needs petrol and oil service it helps to understand (wireless) networks a bit.
    Information required would be: OS, hardware of WLAN adapters (laptop as well as AP), WLAN settings on both sites, additional security features / firewalls / other programs activated. With these information a proper error tracking can be done. The same as we ask people here in forum to leave EXIF intact.
    Has anybody filed an official report with Changi airport about this? Or is it just silent complaining here?
    Btw: I have tried the wireless access at Changi, it worked on the spot. But that was 3 years ago. Not sure what they have changed in between.
    Bravo.

So, why don't you go to Changi and try.

At the end of the day, lots had complained, lots had moved onto other options. That does not make Changi so call free wifi any less responsible for horrible service.

At the end of the day, a service is advertised, and it does not work. I do not care any thing about hardware and software, it's Changi's responsibility to have a configuration that works for the majority of the users.

If the travellers from Heathrow has their wifi working there, and has their wifi working in HK next, don't give me any BS excuses about this hardware and that hardware, it's not the fault of the travellers, but wireless@SG. Period.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Notable
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlcs View Post
    And the government was supposed to provide a subsidy of $30 million
    for the so-called $100m infrastructure.

Does it feel like $100 million to anyone yet?

By the way, the "free" Wireless@SG will end in Dec 2009.

IDA Link
    I don't feel it either! Wireless is only good if you have the right hardware. I am not a hardware person so i don't know much. Probably the wi-fi works on wap-enabled handphones?

I was in KL recently and no luck either with their free internet too. So what's the big deal. I was at a starbucks in KL and same rubbish too.. No free WiFi for non malaysians..

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnchan View Post
    I was in KL recently and no luck either with their free internet too. So what's the big deal. I was at a starbucks in KL and same rubbish too.. No free WiFi for non malaysians..
    Great. Comparing to KL.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

We have world-class facilities.... only when you show us world-class $$$

The rest, make do loh.

I frequently use W@sg. The thing is that SH was not part of the original consortium, thus 2 areas under SH network got no W@sg access. Changi and Suntec.

The thing about W@sg is that it's a common access platform in island wide hotspot, which I doub't those mentioned countries provides. Thus there is some 'admin' process to it to facilitate long-term usage for the benifit of residents here.

QOS is so far satisfactory, especially if it's free. Also because of being free, you might experience network overload. So if I observe a few lappies around, expect slow/dropped access especially when DHCP refresh.

Lastly, there might be user error on 1st access. Especilly when your user name is tied to the service provider and you need to ensure 1. correct service provider is selected. 2. correct user name (xxx@xxx) including the service provider's @extension. 3. correct password.

I suspect article writer is not aware of (2). Do note that FF script block needs to let the login page through.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Arrow Re: Wireless in Singapore... NOT!

Waiting for IDA reply, blah-blah-blah you cannot compare with this countries.

you want to compare it to australia??
    no free wireless anywhere. you have to pay for it every where and i is not cheap. even when you pay for it it is not reliable.
    the 3g network is coming up and in a short time this network will be used alot in Singapore, especially with the release of the I phone.
    Wireless @ SG is a pain to use although that is technology. If everyone wants ease, then please go and use the 3G network. At a small fee it is fast and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
    you want to compare it to australia??
    no free wireless anywhere. you have to pay for it every where and i is not cheap. even when you pay for it it is not reliable.
    the 3g network is coming up and in a short time this network will be used alot in Singapore, especially with the release of the I phone.
    Wireless @ SG is a pain to use although that is technology. If everyone wants ease, then please go and use the 3G network. At a small fee it is fast and easy.
    Or maybe that is why wireless in SIngapore is not that good becos they waiting for 3G to finally take hold...let's see if they will again...extend the free wireless beyond 2009.

The last time 2G and 2.5G too costly and not everyone willing to pay and not many phone choice but now...almost all the smart phone is one. So as they lower access point or what have you and maybe start to charge you for it. You will go 3G. How much are they charging rignt now with all the telcos?

i dont want to sound racist, but would you agree that had Oon Yeoh be a ang moh, not a chinese, he would have gotten much better service in the air-port?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i dont want to sound racist, but would you agree that had Oon Yeoh be a ang moh, not a chinese, he would have gotten much better service in the air-port?
    not on the phone he wouldn't
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    not on the phone he wouldn't
    i know, thats why i say in the air-port.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i know, thats why i say in the air-port.
    he can call and complain in the airport ma.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12