Thread: harsh light - warm light

Default harsh light - warm light

I took this picture indoors under warm yellow lights in a restaurant. I was having dinner there after a whole day out in the streets trying to learn and experience the effects of different light conditions on pictures.

After dinner, i looked up against the walls and noticed that there was a fluorescent light positioned beside a yellow warm bulb and the different lightings it casted on the walls.

I felt it summed up my day around east coast learning the uses of light.

I would like CnC on how i could better compose this shot.

I would also like to know if i should have used flash. This picture was taken without flash.

Any other comments and critique most welcomed.
    Nikon D90, Tokina 12-24mm F/4, Nikkor 18-55mm VR, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, SB600

Default Re: harsh light - warm light

Think about how light makes shape, texture, etc. You've taken an overall scene here, get flush against the wall and shoot abstract on the wood planks. Give attention to texture, shape, shadow & pattern. No need to use flash, unless you have a coloured filter or an offshoe to provide a bit of fill off frame (depending on your composition of course).

Quote Originally Posted by macrolandscape View Post
    After dinner, i looked up against the walls and noticed that there was a fluorescent light positioned beside a yellow warm bulb and the different lightings it casted on the walls.

I felt it summed up my day around east coast learning the uses of light.

I would like CnC on how i could better compose this shot.

I would also like to know if i should have used flash. This picture was taken without flash.

Any other comments and critique most welcomed.
    I like how the warm light lit the wall. I think this picture has a lot of potential but you need to work on the blown highlight and you probably used a too wide an aperture here that's why the right half is soft, a bit blurred really. I suspect you did this or was auto set by the camera if you were in P/A/S mode to shoot hand-held and reduce hand shake. Good that you didn't use flash otherwise all those lovely colors would have vanished. Maybe bring a tripod next time and raise your aperture value to improve DOF.

I'd experiment some more especially on the composition. If you look especially at the top or bottom edge of the image you'd get a feeling of imbalance.

In any case, you saw abstract art and took the shot. I'm sure next time you go back you'd get a better image.

Keep it up!
    Last edited by gpjuson; 11th January 2009 at 05:07 PM.

thank you! lol. i would take all ur critiques seriously, all except the one to use a tripod. i would certainly love to. but it would be pretty weird setting up a tripod in the restaurant just after dinner. haha.
    Nikon D90, Tokina 12-24mm F/4, Nikkor 18-55mm VR, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, SB600

Quote Originally Posted by macrolandscape View Post
    but it would be pretty weird setting up a tripod in the restaurant just after dinner. haha.
    You're absolutely right. Foolish me!

Nice work.. But I find the warm lighting too orange than warm..
    Regards