Thread: question....

Default question....

wanna ask you guys when you walk around in chinatown or places where u be taking shots for approx 1 -2 hours...

do you leave you camera in on mode with lenses cover off and your lenses locked?

just wanna ask for opinion.. cause i got friends who on / off all the time and put their lens cover in and out in minutes.. which i felt quite troublesome..

cheers.

Default Re: question....

Quote Originally Posted by integrasky View Post
    wanna ask you guys when you walk around in chinatown or places where u be taking shots for approx 1 -2 hours...

do you leave you camera in on mode with lenses cover off and your lenses locked?

just wanna ask for opinion.. cause i got friends who on / off all the time and put their lens cover in and out in minutes.. which i felt quite troublesome..

cheers.
    I would leave my lens cap off... coz I have a UV filter for my 18-200mm kit lens. However I only switch on the camera when I need it as the start-up time for the 450D is very short...

Camera off , lens cap off when on camera. Like what Anson mentioned, start up time issin that long.

But that is just individual preference.

Ryan

Camera On..... I used Battery Grip with 2 batteries.

Lens Cap Off..... I use Lens Hood most of the time, and that gives some protection against dirtying or scratching of the front element.

Lens Lock - NA..... Don't own any of those super zoom lens like 18-200mm or 18-270mm that suffer greatly from Lens Creep.

Scuba & Father... For Life

My camera is on with auto power off timer at 1min. It just needs a tip on the shutter button to wake up. Lens cap mostly off but lens hood on. I put on the lens cap when I take a break (e.g. eating something) or in places with the sign "no photography" (certain temples have it).

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    My camera is on with auto power off timer at 1min. It just needs a tip on the shutter button to wake up. Lens cap mostly off but lens hood on. I put on the lens cap when I take a break (e.g. eating something) or in places with the sign "no photography" (certain temples have it).
    Same here. I also make sure that the lens I mounted has the focal range I'll be using for at least 90% of my shots.
    Alpha

i think its entirely up to the individual? i switch my camera off, but keep my hood on and cap off! i think the hood and uv filter is enough to protect the front of my lens?

but i have friends who's cameras have those sensor cleaning systems, and they dont switch their cameras on and off as often, coz they say the camera cleans their system whenever they switch it off, and this drains battery. im not too sure about the validity of this though?

hood on during day, hood off at night time
    cap off, cant miss candid shot when have to remove cap
    camera on, but let the auto-off to save battery
    to protect lense I have UV filter

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Camera On..... I used Battery Grip with 2 batteries.

Lens Cap Off..... I use Lens Hood most of the time, and that gives some protection against dirtying or scratching of the front element.

Lens Lock - NA..... Don't own any of those super zoom lens like 18-200mm or 18-270mm that suffer greatly from Lens Creep.
    Exactly what I do. Went to Chinatown to shoot, and there was something interesting every few minutes.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by screamingsnapshots View Post
    but i have friends who's cameras have those sensor cleaning systems, and they dont switch their cameras on and off as often, coz they say the camera cleans their system whenever they switch it off, and this drains battery. im not too sure about the validity of this though?
    This can be switched off. For EOS450D it's described in the manual. Help your friends to save energy

Lens cap off, Hood on, Camera on for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zhiw3i View Post
    Lens cap off, Hood on, Camera on for me.
    same here. i have a tendency to forget to turn my camera on when i turn it off.. missed enough shots for me to realise that leaving it on will not drain the battery like a PSP being used for 3 hours non stop.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

usually my camera is on, len cap off...

How interesting to see photogs wondering about these things and it's even funnier to know that I actually enjoy sharing such. I always have my lens hood on and although I don't really observe the intervals of me having my caps on or off *LOL, I reckon it's usually off. It's only on when I wanna keep my camera back in my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    same here. i have a tendency to forget to turn my camera on when i turn it off.. missed enough shots for me to realise that leaving it on will not drain the battery like a PSP being used for 3 hours non stop.
    camera goes to standby after awhile, so yea, no worries on the battery life.

Usually, it's lens cap off, and camera off or standby...

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    This can be switched off. For EOS450D it's described in the manual. Help your friends to save energy

eh! i'll tell them about this! thanks for the info. any idea if nikon d60 is able to switch it off too?

wow... thanks...

think i will adopt a common practise... just went chinatown yesterday... saw some nice views and many people shooting their cameras away...

there was an old lady sitting lonely along one of the streets... took some shots of her.. she looks pitiful and i gave her some cash for meals... so if u guys gg there and saw her, give her some help too.. u can see her from my facebook photos.. - Cal Loh

Quote Originally Posted by screamingsnapshots View Post
    eh! i'll tell them about this! thanks for the info. any idea if nikon d60 is able to switch it off too?
    You haven't read your manual, right? Page 161, download here