View Poll Results: Will you bring an SLR or compact cam for hiking/ trekking?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bring SLR

31 43.66%
  • Bring compact camera

18 25.35%
  • Bring both

19 26.76%
  • Bring none

1 1.41%
  • Not sure

2 2.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiking - To bring SLR or compact camera?

Default Re: Hiking - To bring SLR or compact camera?

If possible, plan what you're carrying well. I would say bring both the consumer pns and the dslr.

When on long walks where dslr is kept in your bag, dish out the small consumer and snap away. When at slightly slower pace or a rest point where you wanna experiment with your wide angles or other glasses, dish out your camear.

I doubt your dslr will stay on your neck all the while. Its gonna be heavy and cumbersome.

If weight is an issue, just lug around the dslr and forget the consumer. As mentioned earlier, you most probably gonna do this once in a lifetime and never again. You wouldnt want to reach the top and realised, ah..why didnt I bring my dslr along?

Or get an EVIL inbetweens...
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

It depends on whether you are expecting fantastic views or its just a walk. Actually if you have a high end compact camera, it might capture images as well as your SLR, in that case just bring a compact if weight is an issue. But if response time is critical to get the shot, eg. candid shots of people, than you would need a DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    With the weight of hiking gear and physical strain of trekking long distance and hours, wonder how many people would still choose to bring their SLR + lens + mono/tripod(?) and how many would opt for a lighter photography solution like prosumer or compact cams.
    I'd guess it depends on the trek.
    I don't like to shoot just trees & grass, cos I dunno how to make it look interesting.
    But if its scenic e.g. mountains then I'd consider bring SLR.

IMO if the walk / hike takes you to places with really good scenery, its worth the weight.

Without my DSLR, I would have missed a lot of the good shots.

Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by Pokka View Post
    If possible, plan what you're carrying well. I would say bring both the consumer pns and the dslr.

When on long walks where dslr is kept in your bag, dish out the small consumer and snap away. When at slightly slower pace or a rest point where you wanna experiment with your wide angles or other glasses, dish out your camear.

I doubt your dslr will stay on your neck all the while. Its gonna be heavy and cumbersome.

If weight is an issue, just lug around the dslr and forget the consumer. As mentioned earlier, you most probably gonna do this once in a lifetime and never again. You wouldnt want to reach the top and realised, ah..why didnt I bring my dslr along?
    This is very good advice, and is exactly what I do.

I'm an avid trekker and climbs mountains often (many of them above 5000m). Normally I would bring my S5pro + 18-200VR and keep them in my backpack, plus a fuji compact camera in a pouch strapped to the chest strap of my backpack. When I'm on the move where it is not convenient to stop and take out the DSLR, or when I just need a quick snap, I would use the compact. For beautiful sceneries that warrant a stop, I would take out the DSLR from my backpack.

Of course bringing both will increase the load that I'll need to carry. But with some good training I'm able to handle it.
    Last edited by ziploc; 15th April 2009 at 01:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12