Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

  1. #1

    Default Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Anyone bought camera from CP using credit card installment payment before? How does it work?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by qing02051981 View Post
    Anyone bought camera from CP using credit card installment payment before? How does it work?
    They charge 3 to 5% additional for credit card installment/payment.

  3. #3
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    the prices they quote are fixed. credit card or not.

    they only accept 3 types of card, Citibank, DBS, cant remember the third one cos i dun haf.

    minimum purchase value of 500 to be able to do interest free installments. if you get a DSLR, confirm hit.

    PLEASE DO A MARKET RESEARCH ON THE PRICES OF THE CAMERAS THAT YOU ARE BUYING FROM CATHAY PHOTO, IF THAT ADDITIONAL 100-300 IS WORTH THE INTEREST FREE INSTALLMENTS. if you are not desperate to use that, i advice against you taking that interest free installments. end up paying more for nothing.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by qing02051981 View Post
    Anyone bought camera from CP using credit card installment payment before? How does it work?
    Interest free on purchased amount. E.g. $1200 charged today. 12 months instalment= Every month you must pay $100 on top of whatever minimum you have on your card statement. If not that $100 will incur interest the next month. The key to this plan is: You must pay the instalment sum plus balance minimum duely.

    Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    They charge 3 to 5% additional for credit card installment/payment.
    Interest free with UOB, 6 or 12 months. Pushing % to consumer is highly marked by CASE, can complain, sure kana.

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    the prices they quote are fixed. credit card or not.

    they only accept 3 types of card, Citibank, DBS, cant remember the third one cos i dun haf.

    minimum purchase value of 500 to be able to do interest free installments. if you get a DSLR, confirm hit.

    PLEASE DO A MARKET RESEARCH ON THE PRICES OF THE CAMERAS THAT YOU ARE BUYING FROM CATHAY PHOTO, IF THAT ADDITIONAL 100-300 IS WORTH THE INTEREST FREE INSTALLMENTS. if you are not desperate to use that, i advice against you taking that interest free installments. end up paying more for nothing.
    As above, UOB.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by 3in1c View Post
    Interest free with UOB, 6 or 12 months. Pushing % to consumer is highly marked by CASE, can complain, sure kana.
    Dont spoil market lah, this is fair transaction.
    I like to buy with cash and not get this, why should ppl buy with CC be paying the same as those pay with cash anyway, the shop has less profit cos have to pay CC company commission, plus they have to wait for settlement.
    This is why CASH is KING.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    I always ask... if paying cash got better offer or not...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Originally Posted by playplay
    They charge 3 to 5% additional for credit card installment/payment.

    Interest free with UOB, 6 or 12 months. Pushing % to consumer is highly marked by CASE, can complain, sure kana.

    i know its Installment free but there is additional credit card charges 3 to 5% as long as you swipe your credit card?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Dont spoil market lah, this is fair transaction.
    I like to buy with cash and not get this, why should ppl buy with CC be paying the same as those pay with cash anyway, the shop has less profit cos have to pay CC company commission, plus they have to wait for settlement.
    This is why CASH is KING.
    Unfortunately this is the way business is conducted, like it or not people use cc for points that they can redeem later. It is against the law for passing % to consumers, get it right. It is part of COGS and should not be term as lost of profit.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    Originally Posted by playplay
    They charge 3 to 5% additional for credit card installment/payment.

    Interest free with UOB, 6 or 12 months. Pushing % to consumer is highly marked by CASE, can complain, sure kana.

    i know its Installment free but there is additional credit card charges 3 to 5% as long as you swipe your credit card?
    As far as I know, CP doesnt.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    be wary of 0% credit card instalment plans, because if your card's annual fee happens to be due during the instalment phase, then you have no choice but to pay. Can't threaten to cancel in order to get a waiver...
    Exploring! :)

  11. #11
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    be wary of 0% credit card instalment plans, because if your card's annual fee happens to be due during the instalment phase, then you have no choice but to pay. Can't threaten to cancel in order to get a waiver...
    i never never never thought of this......

    do you think threatening to cancel right after all the plans are over, will work?
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  12. #12

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    the prices they quote are fixed. credit card or not.

    they only accept 3 types of card, Citibank, DBS, cant remember the third one cos i dun haf.

    minimum purchase value of 500 to be able to do interest free installments. if you get a DSLR, confirm hit.

    PLEASE DO A MARKET RESEARCH ON THE PRICES OF THE CAMERAS THAT YOU ARE BUYING FROM CATHAY PHOTO, IF THAT ADDITIONAL 100-300 IS WORTH THE INTEREST FREE INSTALLMENTS. if you are not desperate to use that, i advice against you taking that interest free installments. end up paying more for nothing.
    Thanks for the advice. So far I think only CP accepts credit card installments.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by 3in1c View Post
    Unfortunately this is the way business is conducted, like it or not people use cc for points that they can redeem later. It is against the law for passing % to consumers, get it right. It is part of COGS and should not be term as lost of profit.
    You think too much like a customer, try to think as merchant.

    The whole thing of not allowing to pass the cost is not actually a law, it is agreement between CC company and the merchant, same as nets. CC company and nets can punish the merchant but frankly speaking, they will be foolish to do that as Singapore is not such a big market to begin with. Merchant pay subscription fee to have those Credit Card machine or Nets machine.

    The shop can always say if you pay cash I can give you better price. Effectively with math that is just the same, just say it differently.

    Try selling something on ebay and you will realize how much cut the payment system actually takes to facilitate transaction and suddenly you want to deal with cash, especially when buyer and seller are local and prefer to meet up (also save money on postage).

    There are shop that does not practice cash cheaper, and I use my Credit Card.
    Do you think Credit Card give you cashback or loyalty point that that should benefit you?
    Calculate how much they are taking as profit first and compare with your cashback or loyalty point (and how much effectively you can use), and compare this with how much you safe for cash transaction.

    But then again, if you dont have much cash to begin with then you have to go by installment. Go check other shops too like Harvey Norman or Courts who offer installment plan and see which one give you better term.

    By the way, make sure you buy what you can afford and not to rely too much on credit. This whole financial crisis from US started with that.
    Last edited by aryanto; 10th January 2009 at 01:30 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    You think too much like a customer, try to think as merchant.

    The whole thing of not allowing to pass the cost is not actually a law, it is agreement between CC company and the merchant, same as nets. CC company and nets can punish the merchant but frankly speaking, they will be foolish to do that as Singapore is not such a big market to begin with. Merchant pay subscription fee to have those Credit Card machine or Nets machine.

    The shop can always say if you pay cash I can give you better price. Effectively with math that is just the same, just say it differently.

    Try selling something on ebay and you will realize how much cut the payment system actually takes to facilitate transaction and suddenly you want to deal with cash, especially when buyer and seller are local and prefer to meet up (also save money on postage).

    There are shop that does not practice cash cheaper, and I use my Credit Card.
    Do you think Credit Card give you cashback or loyalty point that that should benefit you?
    Calculate how much they are taking as profit first and compare with your cashback or loyalty point (and how much effectively you can use), and compare this with how much you safe for cash transaction.

    But then again, if you dont have much cash to begin with then you have to go by installment. Go check other shops too like Harvey Norman or Courts who offer installment plan and see which one give you better term.

    By the way, make sure you buy what you can afford and not to rely too much on credit. This whole financial crisis from US started with that.
    Thanks. Thinking if getting a D300 but it is a bit expensive for me. Thus, considering paying by credit card installment.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by qing02051981 View Post
    Anyone bought camera from CP using credit card installment payment before? How does it work?
    try going to harvey norman funan and check on the extended warranty and instalment plans
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    You think too much like a customer, try to think as merchant.

    The whole thing of not allowing to pass the cost is not actually a law, it is agreement between CC company and the merchant, same as nets. CC company and nets can punish the merchant but frankly speaking, they will be foolish to do that as Singapore is not such a big market to begin with. Merchant pay subscription fee to have those Credit Card machine or Nets machine.

    The shop can always say if you pay cash I can give you better price. Effectively with math that is just the same, just say it differently.

    Try selling something on ebay and you will realize how much cut the payment system actually takes to facilitate transaction and suddenly you want to deal with cash, especially when buyer and seller are local and prefer to meet up (also save money on postage).

    There are shop that does not practice cash cheaper, and I use my Credit Card.
    Do you think Credit Card give you cashback or loyalty point that that should benefit you?
    Calculate how much they are taking as profit first and compare with your cashback or loyalty point (and how much effectively you can use), and compare this with how much you safe for cash transaction.

    But then again, if you dont have much cash to begin with then you have to go by installment. Go check other shops too like Harvey Norman or Courts who offer installment plan and see which one give you better term.

    By the way, make sure you buy what you can afford and not to rely too much on credit. This whole financial crisis from US started with that.
    Thanks

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    谁是你
    Posts
    2,706

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    ask for cash payment... u can save up to 5% of the credit card price.

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    the prices they quote are fixed. credit card or not.

    they only accept 3 types of card, Citibank, DBS, cant remember the third one cos i dun haf.

    minimum purchase value of 500 to be able to do interest free installments. if you get a DSLR, confirm hit.

    PLEASE DO A MARKET RESEARCH ON THE PRICES OF THE CAMERAS THAT YOU ARE BUYING FROM CATHAY PHOTO, IF THAT ADDITIONAL 100-300 IS WORTH THE INTEREST FREE INSTALLMENTS. if you are not desperate to use that, i advice against you taking that interest free installments. end up paying more for nothing.

  18. #18
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    there are a few other shops that accepts too.

    benphoto for one that i cant remember right off my head now.. deep inside i know there is at least another "recommended" shop or 2 with that plan..
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  19. #19
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    i never never never thought of this......

    do you think threatening to cancel right after all the plans are over, will work?
    It all depends on the timing.
    For example,
    - You sign up the 12-month 0% instalment plan in June.
    - Your credit card annual fee renewal is due in December.

    With 6 more months to go, there's not much you can do.
    The only possibility I can think of is that if you have enough cash in the bank, you can suggest to pay off the final 6months of instalment in one go, and cancel the card. MAYBE they'll offer a waiver. You must be prepared to go through with your threat. Don't cry wolf!
    Also be careful of the rewards points system. If you have enough points to deduct for annual fee waiver, that's what they'll do! There goes your free movie tix or whatever it is you wanted to redeem!
    Exploring! :)

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Camera Purchase Credit Card Installment

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    It all depends on the timing.
    For example,
    - You sign up the 12-month 0% instalment plan in June.
    - Your credit card annual fee renewal is due in December.

    With 6 more months to go, there's not much you can do.
    The only possibility I can think of is that if you have enough cash in the bank, you can suggest to pay off the final 6months of instalment in one go, and cancel the card. MAYBE they'll offer a waiver. You must be prepared to go through with your threat. Don't cry wolf!
    Also be careful of the rewards points system. If you have enough points to deduct for annual fee waiver, that's what they'll do! There goes your free movie tix or whatever it is you wanted to redeem!
    You can try this if you feel lucky, please read the T&C of how much they can "fine" you when you terminate the interest free installment.

    We can all scream unfair (yes it is unfair), but you don't have to get that credit card and get that interest free installment so I dont think CASE can help. Paying all 6 months ahead is still considered as termination of agreement and they can still "fine" you.

    Do not trust what I say above, read your Credit Card fine print. I am serious. We are all adult and be bound by law as adult so please be careful when signing any contract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •