Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EOS 450D vs Fuji S5 Pro >> Which should I get?

Default Re: EOS 450D vs Fuji S5 Pro >> Which should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Whichever brand you choose, S$1,200 still isn't going to buy you much. But I recognize you point.
    Using a E520 (kit) + FL36 should be able to meet his budget....

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    well, if it helps in my evaluation and decision, i don't see a problem. i have utmost respect for you and all other posters, but if your don't want to contribute in this process of making a decision then don't.

thanks for your valuable advice upthread though. peace.
    i thought you were rather rude to be frank. what Rashkae said makes sense i am guilty of it at times too but in the end its up to you. since ts say 75% was it that he wants the 450d than get it.. whats the fuss about? if i say s5pro good so what if his mind has beeen fixed.

plus half the time i think you dunno if you are even sure of what you are saying especially about canon lenses are cheaper than fuji's . fuji uses nikon lenses right from the ai-s till now which translates to more choices and obvious some older mf lenses are alot cheaper with better optics and when coupled with the s5pro you get wonderful results.

to TS, get what you think is right. i used a nikon D80 before switching to a s5pro and i must say i have no regrets. the canon 450D is a great camera too so either way you will not be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird17 View Post
    i thought you were rather rude to be frank. what Rashkae said makes sense i am guilty of it at times too but in the end its up to you. since ts say 75% was it that he wants the 450d than get it.. whats the fuss about? if i say s5pro good so what if his mind has beeen fixed.

plus half the time i think you dunno if you are even sure of what you are saying especially about canon lenses are cheaper than fuji's . fuji uses nikon lenses right from the ai-s till now which translates to more choices and obvious some older mf lenses are alot cheaper with better optics and when coupled with the s5pro you get wonderful results.

to TS, get what you think is right. i used a nikon D80 before switching to a s5pro and i must say i have no regrets. the canon 450D is a great camera too so either way you will not be wrong

lol bigbird that one is me la, so the person your first para refers to is me hehee
    i am also the TS. lol. you left me very confused. haha now a wrench has been thrown in.
    someone has a brand new 400D kit for 888. grr

All in all.. to summarise everyone recommendation is to get 450D with a higher budget and a zoom lens with F2.8. Otherwise don't get it, worst you might even shoot poor pictures esp indoor wedding dinner.

Deregistered

lol bigbird that one is me la, so the person your first para refers to is me hehee
    i am also the TS. lol. you left me very confused. haha now a wrench has been thrown in.
    someone has a brand new 400D kit for 888. grr
    oops my bad.. i didnt know it was you the TS. anyway, dun be so up tight abt the pricing and all.. just get any body u like.. and as for lenses u might wanna get a cheap kit lens and than rent smth better during the wedding tgt with flash. since you are used to canon. get canon. and you prob get so sick of waiting for the buffer to clear on the s5pro. coming from a former d80 user. even the D80 or some day d70 is faster than the s5pro but i still love my s5pro...

why not,canon 40D? heard its a great cam tooo

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Using a E520 (kit) + FL36 should be able to meet his budget....
    Hmmm... Ok, you get built-in IS, but you're still missing low light / large aperture capability, which I believe is quite essential. Otherwise, a kit lens will do fine, I suppose, at about f/4.

Personally, I was thinking about the Sony Alpha 200 myself... But was left with the same problem... Those f/2.8 zoom lenses cost too much!

Hmmm... Ok, you get built-in IS, but you're still missing low light / large aperture capability, which I believe is quite essential. Otherwise, a kit lens will do fine, I suppose, at about f/4.

Personally, I was thinking about the Sony Alpha 200 myself... But was left with the same problem... Those f/2.8 zoom lenses cost too much!
    Which 2.8 telezoom doesn't cost a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird17 View Post
    you prob get so sick of waiting for the buffer to clear on the s5pro. coming from a former d80 user. even the D80 or some day d70 is faster than the s5pro
    Do you really think so? I handle a Nikon D70 and the Fuji S5 Pro very regularly, and I have never complained about the speed thus far. I mean, the Fuji S5 Pro is not blazing fast, and I wouldn't recommend it for sports or bird photography, but it is certainly a vast improvement over the S3 Pro and can definitely handle quick a sizeable chunk of data...

Unless you shoot RAW? Haha... Those Fuji RAW files are 25MB apiece man!

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post
    Which 2.8 telezoom doesn't cost a lot?
    Just wishful thinking!

Frankly speaking to me, a dslr without the LV feature (with Quick AF) is not in my consideration. That is one of the main reason why I choose the 450D instead of the D90.

You are right the F2.8 cost alot.... that why I rather invest on a better flash system than expensive lens...

Do you really think so? I handle a Nikon D70 and the Fuji S5 Pro very regularly, and I have never complained about the speed thus far. I mean, the Fuji S5 Pro is not blazing fast, and I wouldn't recommend it for sports or bird photography, but it is certainly a vast improvement over the S3 Pro and can definitely handle quick a sizeable chunk of data...
    I find that the color for the S5Pro very beautiful (very good DR)... even in high ISO. To me it is more ideal for Portrait Shots than event shooting....

Frankly speaking to me, a dslr without the LV feature (with Quick AF) is not in my consideration. That is one of the main reason why I choose the 450D instead of the D90.

You are right the F2.8 cost alot.... that why I rather invest on a better flash system than expensive lens...
    hmm k lemme see i have an external flash, Achiever brand, so for now that should suffice.
    if i get the 400D kit at 888 then i can buy a 50mm f1.8 that would still cost below 1000 allowing me to buy drybox and misc right? hmmm

but i dont know if spot metering will do much more than i think it would.

Why not ask whether fellow CS photogs are interested to help you out with the wedding shoot? That way, maybe they can get some experience for maybe a token fee or something, and you can slowly save up for a better camera system?

Just a thought.

I find that the color for the S5Pro very beautiful (very good DR)... even in high ISO. To me it is more ideal for Portrait Shots than event shooting....
    Oh, the colors and DR of the S5 Pro is wonderful, thanks to the SuperCCD. But noise is not well contained at high ISOs. I wouldn't want to go past ISO 800 with the S5 Pro. In fact, I prefer to stick close to ISO 400, which I must admit, may not always be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post
    Why not ask whether fellow CS photogs are interested to help you out with the wedding shoot? That way, maybe they can get some experience for maybe a token fee or something, and you can slowly save up for a better camera system?

Just a thought.
    actually thats what i thought too. Cause my cousin's running on a low budget so he just want a decent coverage of the ceremony. But i dont know man...

BTW, i would really like to thank all those who responded, giving me room for more consideration. I truly appreciate it

hmm k lemme see i have an external flash, Achiever brand, so for now that should suffice.
    if i get the 400D kit at 888 then i can buy a 50mm f1.8 that would still cost below 1000 allowing me to buy drybox and misc right? hmmm

Well, since you're pretty set on your setup, I can only say that you'd have to experiment and practise hard to acheive your desired results.

A point about your flash... You'd lose the i-TTL function right? Then you really have to be mindful of your flash. Manual flash control can be pretty tough in a situation where you attention is better spent elsewhere.

For Wedding shots... Spot Metering is not so important... I have no comment about your flash as I have never used third parties flash before (unless you consider a Olympus FL36 on Panasonic FZ50 an example )... If I remember correctly the 400D kit lens is 18-55 non-IS...

dont be too concern with spot metering, why?

a show of hands, how many cser uses spot metering, especially newbie.

also, you didnt tell use what mount is your achiever flash. becareful, old manual flash has high trigger voltage that may damage the hot shoe, if it dont immediately do that, it will someday.
    Last edited by denniskee; 10th January 2009 at 12:49 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

For Wedding shots... Spot Metering is not so important... I have no comment about your flash as I have never used third parties flash before (unless you consider a Olympus FL36 on Panasonic FZ50 an example )... If I remember correctly the 400D kit lens is 18-55 non-IS...
    yup no IS , hmm i wont know how much the IS i would be needing tho. is the kit lens without IS really unreliable? i was thinking budgeting. with such low cost, get a better lens with the rest of the excess cash i guess. or is that bad thinking? lol

Oh, the colors and DR of the S5 Pro is wonderful, thanks to the SuperCCD. But noise is not well contained at high ISOs. I wouldn't want to go past ISO 800 with the S5 Pro. In fact, I prefer to stick close to ISO 400, which I must admit, may not always be possible.
    If noise is a problem for you, it can always be "control" with some help...

For me if I am using my FZ50 for Wedding shots, I don't go over ISO 200.... But I need to control my flash very well...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast