Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DSLR with built in memory: Yes or No

Default Re: DSLR with built in memory: Yes or No

I prefer removable as it has a lot of advantages over in-built memory,
    1. in-built cost a bomb even at same capacity
    2. in-build, don't think vendor will put a lot of capacity in it and can't increase in capacity too, eg in PnP, only small capacity in it and basically no one use it.
    3. in-build can't share pictures easily
    4. in-build memory dead = cam dead
    5. price of removable drop fast
    6. removable uses standard tools for failure recovery
    7. removable can always bring spare card
    8. removable = life time warranty, in-build repair will cost a bomb too
    9. many many more reasons

eSata currently uses version 2 at 3GBits/sec, version 3 yet to be released in the market which is at 6GBit/sec. However, USB3 had already implemented by some suppliers which at 5GBits/sec
    D300 & P5100 :bsmilie:

personally in my view, it will be great to have the best of both world...
    having an in-built memory means that taking raw photos will be faster compared to memory cards,
    and also, who knows, your card may crashed

i would love to have things for "Just In Case" scenario.
    Li0nHeaRt's Multiply
    Nikon D300 | Nikkor 17-55 f2.8G | SB-900 | Fujifilm F11

Quote Originally Posted by li0nheart07 View Post
    personally in my view, it will be great to have the best of both world...
    having an in-built memory means that taking raw photos will be faster compared to memory cards,
    and also, who knows, your card may crashed

i would love to have things for "Just In Case" scenario.
    Best of both worlds doesn't make everything good. It just makes more complicated electronic set up, higher price, heavier system
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by rvxing View Post
    I prefer removable as it has a lot of advantages over in-built memory,
    1. in-built cost a bomb even at same capacity
    2. in-build, don't think vendor will put a lot of capacity in it and can't increase in capacity too, eg in PnP, only small capacity in it and basically no one use it.
    3. in-build can't share pictures easily
    4. in-build memory dead = cam dead
    5. price of removable drop fast
    6. removable uses standard tools for failure recovery
    7. removable can always bring spare card
    8. removable = life time warranty, in-build repair will cost a bomb too
    9. many many more reasons
    Good and pretty exhaustive reasons

[QUOTES]
    eSata currently uses version 2 at 3GBits/sec, version 3 yet to be released in the market which is at 6GBit/sec. However, USB3 had already implemented by some suppliers which at 5GBits/sec[/QUOTE]

This part I would beg to differ as we all know despite the fact that USB2.0 operates at 480Mbps and firewire operates at 400Mbps, still firewire works faster than USB2.0. Just like MP in camera doesn't dictate the performance of the camera, neither do Mbps in network. THe actual performance comes from practical examination, network structure design as well as the technology used to communicate between the devices and protocols. USB design is known to be rather weak, just that it is cheap and popular to implement.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

I wouldn't mind, so long as there is also an option to switch to memory cards if the user decides to. Otherwise, we might have to transfer the pictures when we use up the internal memory? Quite troublesome in the middle of a shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    This part I would beg to differ as we all know despite the fact that USB2.0 operates at 480Mbps and firewire operates at 400Mbps, still firewire works faster than USB2.0. Just like MP in camera doesn't dictate the performance of the camera, neither do Mbps in network. THe actual performance comes from practical examination, network structure design as well as the technology used to communicate between the devices and protocols. USB design is known to be rather weak, just that it is cheap and popular to implement.
    Be it USB, eSATA or Firewire, all are using burst mode, meaning that most of the time it is not running at it max speed mainly due to signal to noise ratio. So the average speed for each will depend on the construction of the cable and the interface. The price for a good hardware is a lot higher than an average version which most of us are using. Generally, firewire cable is of better construction than USB1/2 cable and a lot more expensive.

USB3 differ from USB2, it uses differentiate signal pair for TX/RX instead of single wire, so, the S/N ratio will improve greatly, which push the max speed to 5Gbits/sec. Again, comparing to the other interface on actual performance will depend on the hardware construction. So, we need to have actual and same level of hardware setup to see the comparison. Has yet to see any comparison between USB3 against SATA 2/3.

For SATA connector, at least on the hdd and motherboard ends, it has a very poor design, the weight of the cable alone can cause poor contact problem, so the cable dressing is very important.
    D300 & P5100 :bsmilie:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123