Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice: Entry to the photography world and of DSLR budget

Default Re: Advice: Entry to the photography world and of DSLR budget

woah thanks for all the advice and insight especially zoossh long review...that was really useful..I never really owned a digital camera yet but I did use my dad's powershot tx1 for a trip before and also a company's D70 for an event that I took photographs for the company but mostly dabbled with the auto settings and the focus/zoom. Did enjoy using DSLR for the first time. Btw, I went to Cathay Photo and tried the D90 and 50D and I think in the end I prefer the D90. Its also a bit lighter and I feel better holding it somehow haha. Got to learn more about the manual settings and apeture/shutter playing around.

Do you think I should get the 18-105mm or the 18-55 + 55-200 dual kit? I think I am going with the D90 and 18-105mm which I think will be sufficient enough for me for some time of playing around with it before upgrading to a higher one if I want to. $1720 for 18-105mm with 4gb and $1880+ for the Dual Kit + 8gb + bag. I also checked the dry cabinet price and its around $113 at Cathay.. is it really important to get one immediately? Thanks.

Edit: Checked with Alan Photo and they seem to sell the D90 with 18-105 at $1669 with free 4gb + nikon bag which definitely a better deal. I think I will get from there and the D90 stock will come in next week only. The nikon bag seems very big and they said I could exchange it for uv filter + lcd protector. Have two choices. The bag is indeed pretty big and any other good camera bags to recommend? Of course the lower budget the better . Smallest dry cabinet at $118.

Oh yeah does the D90 kit include a lens hood as well and if not, how much is one and is it really necessary to get before going for holiday? Seems that budget is going to burst with all these accessories included lol. Am I worrying too much here for my first buy? Haha
    Last edited by Morozov; 11th January 2009 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by exofo View Post
    u might want to reconsider in getting D90 for its video, try it out and u know. shift it while recording...
    I did not try the video function though...did a limited test with the D90.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    do educate me on prosumers, cos i thought most prosumer accessories are not compatible on DSLR.

and i wonder if it is realistic to expect that "leica" 35-420mm zoom to produce results similar to and expected of leica e.g. rangefinder lens. also are we able to compare the "leica" 35-420mm zoom to a 3rd party 18-200mm or 18-250mm lens of similar price range?

I am using my Panasonic FZ50 as a prosumer comparison, it's uses the same 4/3 TTL flash system as those found in the Panasonic & Olympus System. To my current knowledge it is also the only prosumer camera that offer full dslr control (including manual zoom & focus rings) and have an external TTL flash control. Plus it have a lens thread of 55mm, hence it accept a wide range of filters (with the same thread). Hence if the TS choose the FZ50 & "move on" to a 4/3 dslr, he could use the same "prosumer accessories" (please correct me if I am wrong).

Personally comparing the my FZ50 (Leica 35-420mm F2.8~3.7) & my 450D (Canon 18-200mm F3.5~5.6), under good lighting condition the FZ50 does not lose out much to the 450D. I agree that the IQ of a prosumer camera suffer under high ISO conditions & have a limiting DoF when compared to a dslr. However I never regret starting out on a prosumer camera (FZ50) instead of jumping straight to an entry-level dslr. This is because I "learn" how to take photos first before I had to deal with the lens (BBB virus) & dust issues. Comments & suggestions are welcome?

Quote Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
    I did not try the video function though...did a limited test with the D90.
    There is no AF for the video function found in the D90, another dslr which offered the video function is the 5DM2 whereby you have to press the AF button but video AF is very slow...

I have also heard of this Canon G10 as a cheaper prosumer cam alternative like the LX3? Anyone have experience with it to compare with the DSLRs like 450D or D90? I think the 50D is also quite overpriced and pretty heavy at 822g... the 40D has also same features/weight and is cheaper to get too.

I have also heard of this Canon G10 as a cheaper prosumer cam alternative like the LX3? Anyone have experience with it to compare with the DSLRs like 450D or D90?
    LX3 have a better low-light performance compared to the G10, however the IQ (in high ISO) still lack the 450D... But compared to most Prosumer & PnS camera, it is consider very good...

I have also heard of this Canon G10 as a cheaper prosumer cam alternative like the LX3? Anyone have experience with it to compare with the DSLRs like 450D or D90? I think the 50D is also quite overpriced and pretty heavy at 822g... the 40D has also same features/weight and is cheaper to get too.
    Quite a few reviews already. DPReview compares them directly too. I suggest you try searching.
    Alpha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12