Thread: Canon or Nikon

Default Canon or Nikon

Hi,newbie here.
    Just wondering if which one i should get
    canon 1000D,450D, Nikon D60,D40x

which one is a better choice for a long term usage?

Default Re: Canon or Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by hanselpencil View Post
    Hi,newbie here.

Given only the 4 camera models I would choose 450D if you don't want to upgrade anytime soon...

oh no you didnt!

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    oh no you didnt!
    Huh??

DSLR's these days are pretty much all very, very good cameras. Things to consider:
    [Ergonomics]
    You should really physically try them out and see which one feels comfortable in your hands. How are the controls layed out, and are the functions you need easy to reach?

[Access to advice / lenses]
    Do you have relatives or friends that are experienced with DSLRs? do they have lenses that you can share? As an example, a friend is going Nikon because his brother already has a Nikon DSLR and a few zoom lenses while he gets primes...

Since you are new to DSLR, you may not know what you exactly want. Try not to get stuck on what brand yet. Instead, pick up a DSLR, read up on photography and go out and shoot. Once you become more experienced at shooting a DSLR, you will appreciate features that the camera has or notice things that is lacking. Since these are i'm guessing body plus kit lens, it's not too much to switch between nikon or canon. That being said, if you can afford it the better body is just better (ie. 450 > 1000, espcially since the price is pretty close).

Another friend is in the same position as you and he's trying out all the brands, olympus, sony, canon, nikon, but he's lucky enough that his work has all these DSLRs for him to take home and try.

Hope this helps.

Hi,newbie here.

If you are new to photography, suggest you pick the cheapest option for cam+(kit)lens+flash. cuz you do not know how much you want to commit in the long run. Get your first set with the midset of testing out the hobby rather than setting up a system as commonly advised.

Once you got your basics right, and confirm you like to stick to photography + enough time and $$$ to invest... then take the next step in looking for a sutiable system... which you have to consider if you are sticking with crop or going FF or even pro-body... then you consider what all manufacturers are offering, hopefully by that time, all of them would come out affordable wundercam.

Last... to answer your question directly... currently for body only 450D... cuz the next step, the better body atm is (IMHO) still D300... and a step further, D700... and D3.

Lens... if you shoot kit, Nikon would be better, Zooms, Nikon better from 14mm - 70mm, Primes, Canon better....

So you see... it depends on how far you want to go and what you need for your preferred genere of photography.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Go to the shops like courts or Best Denki which has display sets for you to play around with and feel the ergonomics in your hand. Try out other brands like pentax, olympus and sony if you got the chance as well.

The hand grip for entry level dslr is usually fairly small so go with the ones that feels the best in your hand. If the ergonomics suits you, you will carry it around and shot with it more. The more you shot, usually the better you'll get. Eventually, you will reach a state of knowing what you really want from a camera system and then you can upgrade or switch system to those that meets your photography wants.

Like others have mentioned, if you have someone that you know willing to share lenses, flash etc, that is one thing to consider as well.

Image quality wise, the entry dslrs are very close. So don't worry about IQ between them too much.

If given all else are equal , go for the name you like best

Yet another Canon/Nikon thread.

Do some research online for the camera specs
    Go down to shops
    Have a feel of the cameras you interested in
    See which camera ergonomics suits you
    Once decided on the brand/model, go for it
    Don't look back

Hi,newbie here.

Sad to say, none. Maybe consider a D90 or a 40D.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Sad to say, none. Maybe consider a D90 or a 40D.
    Why not the 50D instead?

I asked this before to myself and then my answer is .... Olympus. LOL.

D90 is more value for money, IF you got the money.
    IF you can afford it, you wont regret buying it.
    IF you didnt buy it, you will regret it.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100