Thread: I need your opinions! Contax vs Canon

Default I need your opinions! Contax vs Canon

Hey guys, I need your opinions to help me decide on whether to switch from Canon to Contax. Currently owning an EOS 3 , thinking of switching to Contax N1 for the sharpness and colour of the Carl Zeiss lenses.

However, I was told Contax N1 auto-focusing is slow and not so accurate.

And I have a hard time comparing these 2 brands.

Well, in any case, I need the SLR for commercial photography like food shoots, wedding photography, glamour photography and events/concerts coverage. Hope this helps you to give me some comments. Thanks!

Hi, my friend,
    Have you considered whether you can afford a DSLR from contax?

Current
    -------
    EOS 3 w/PB-E2
    EF 17-35mm f2.8L USM
    Tokina ATX Pro II 28-80mm f2.8
    EF 70-200mm f2.8L USM
    550EX
    RS-80N3
    Kenko 2X TC MC7 (x2)

Thinking of
    ----------
    Contax N1 w/P9
    Carl Zeiss N Vario Sonnar T* 24-85mm f3.5-4.5
    Carl Zeiss N Vario Sonnar T* 70-300mm f4-5.6
    Carl Zeiss N Planar T* 50mm f1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun
    Hi, my friend,
    Have you considered whether you can afford a DSLR from contax?
    Yup I have considered and I believe if I change over, I will get it someday in future. But if I change I'll still keep D30 and a lens.

More advice please! Thanks!

Chyeo, I don't see why you should migrate from your L lenses to CZ T* lenses. If you need the autotofocus speed, stay with Canon and your L lenses as there is non better, period.

But if you are into portraiture, landscape photography and other types of photography where focusing speed is not important but optical quality is, save your money and try out the manual focus stuff. For the price of a N1+24-85, you could easily get a AX/RX/ST + 28/2.8 + 50/1.4 + 85/1.4 set, easily some of the best lenses that money can buy. Only downside is that you don't get mirror lockup, cause it only comes in the RTS/S2. Forget about the zoom lenses as you will get better results with FFL lenses. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao
    Chyeo, I don't see why you should migrate from your L lenses to CZ T* lenses. If you need the autotofocus speed, stay with Canon and your L lenses as there is non better, period.

But if you are into portraiture, landscape photography and other types of photography where focusing speed is not important but optical quality is, save your money and try out the manual focus stuff. For the price of a N1+24-85, you could easily get a AX/RX/ST + 28/2.8 + 50/1.4 + 85/1.4 set, easily some of the best lenses that money can buy. Only downside is that you don't get mirror lockup, cause it only comes in the RTS/S2. Forget about the zoom lenses as you will get better results with FFL lenses. Of course, this is just my opinion.
    Hmm. Can sleep over your words tonight. Thanks.

More opinions/advice needed!

I'll second Parchiao's comments
    Quote Originally Posted by chyeo
    More opinions/advice needed!

Thanks meng. More opinions please!

IMO,if u are producing mostly prints,you won't see any diff between canon lens and carl zeiss becos most printing are done digitally now.
    Unless u are shooting slides where printing is not needed,u should stick with canon.
    i would put the $$ in Medium format if i were you

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    IMO,if u are producing mostly prints,you won't see any diff between canon lens and carl zeiss becos most printing are done digitally now.
    Unless u are shooting slides where printing is not needed,u should stick with canon.
    No I am still using conventional prints from a conventional machine, so I can see the difference well. I hate digital prints anyway.

Yes I shoot slides too.

And yes, I am already shooting medium format.

andylee
    Guests

I second that...the lens for contax is limited also. go get yourself a mamiya 7 better.for other peoples' work use canon,for your own work use mamiya 7.

Hmm looks like no one supports the idea of switching to Contax N system (perhaps too many Canon users here? ) Think I will stay on in Canon lah. But in future I will definitely get a manual Contax to ease my desire for Carl Zeiss lenses. Hehe... Thanks to all for the kind advice!

get yashica SLR can liao lor.so cheap,u can get it anytime.

get yashica SLR can liao lor.so cheap,u can get it anytime.
    Nah... the body is too flimsy...