Thread: starry effect on light

Default starry effect on light

long exposure to light = stars

how to remove the stars but at the same time its long exposure time?

use filter?

Default Re: starry effect on light

The starry effect is more a result of a smaller aperture. You could use a larger aperture and ND filters.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkm View Post
    long exposure to light = stars

how to remove the stars but at the same time its long exposure time?

use filter?
    Why do you want to remove the stars? People like them more than bright dots. Filters sold like star 4, star 5, star 8 just to get these...

Anyway the stars on bright light source is caused by small apperture. Enlarge until you don't see star anymore.

I have not try this but may be it works, add circular polarizer. It might make the picture very dark though...

The smaller the aperture, the more prominent the stars become. Shoot with a large aperture if you prefer to have balls of light.

As mentioned, you'd need to cut the amount of light to retain the same exposure timing, so you'd have to use ND filters. Of course, we are assuming that you are at the lowest ISO setting already.

With large aperture, you'll lose out in DOF... the BG may be blurry... do you want that effect?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Why do you want to remove the stars? People like them more than bright dots. Filters sold like star 4, star 5, star 8 just to get these...

Anyway the stars on bright light source is caused by small apperture. Enlarge until you don't see star anymore.

I have not try this but may be it works, add circular polarizer. It might make the picture very dark though...
    CPL filters doesnt remove sparks outrightly, they reduce though. Not necessary dark when you rotate the outer ring 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    With large aperture, you'll lose out in DOF... the BG may be blurry... do you want that effect?
    I am assuming TS not enjoying night landscaping yet. If not, must be shooting at IR too often.