Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadband

try download a big file from http://fun.s-one.net.sg . try to find a file which is more than 200MB. if you download average speed reaches around 180KB/s, your speed should be ok.

I used to be able to reach around 200KB/s, but lately the speed drop to 180KB/s max. Maybe Starhub did something and put the limit @ 180KB/s

1500kbps = 187.5KB/s

Quote Originally Posted by andylee
    How can we verify if it's really 1500kbps?? wanna do some research on whos' using scv in my block.....
    For your info, the 1500kbps is for local sites only.

For overseas sites, all broadband providers are limited to a max of 512kbps (That's kilo-bits not bytes)

For SCV, your bandwidth is shared by that 'segment', if your area, like Yishun or Jurong..etc has a lot of SCV users and a lot of them is logged in, your speed will be slower compared to another SCV user in Bedok, if there is not much user traffic in there.

Which is why many of my friends somethings curse when they surf during peak periods and their speed is only 10KBps or 80-100Kbps, only 2-3x faster than a dial-up user.

When they d/l some files from a website, their speeds are so slow and they called me to help them d/l it. When I d/l the same file, my speed is much faster (by several times) than theirs.

For ADSL, it's pretty much the same at any time of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston

For overseas sites, all broadband providers are limited to a max of 512kbps (That's kilo-bits not bytes)
    i'm not sure if this is true, unless microsoft and norton and quicktime (to name some) have servers based in singapore, cos i regularly get 1500kbps from these sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston

not true, try downloading this file :

http://download.nvidia.com/downloads...ArmyOps190.zip

i can achieve avg 170KB/s, which is around 1360kbps

Is anyone on Qala? Any comments? The virtual static IP sevice looks good! Thinking of swapping to it soon.

andylee
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    not true, try downloading this file :

http://download.nvidia.com/downloads...ArmyOps190.zip

i can achieve avg 170KB/s, which is around 1360kbps
    Hello Caseytan, why i cannot achieve that?? my download time is 11.05pm now.

Don't just rely on the bandwidth given to you by the ISP. Download smartly.

Read the FAQ

:Later,

Quote Originally Posted by andylee
    Hello Caseytan, why i cannot achieve that?? my download time is 11.05pm now.
    try using some software e.g. flashget, netants, getright etc to help when you want to download huge files.

andylee
    Guests

I try your link again,this time it's better,112KB/Sec....it's now 1.48 am,sat.....

start with cable, not ADSL. ADSL has too many hidden costs. when you terminate an ADSL line, there's still a $41 charge to 'terminate the ADSL signal line' from ur phoneline. just get cable. it's cheap and fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12