Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Photography

Default Re: Why Photography

Because I don't like to have my photo taken, so I usually volunteer to take pictures for others.

when i was younger, around 14 or 15, i worked part time for my uncle. he took pictures for a living. he was quite a renowned commercial photographer. had assignments from the big departmental retail outlets. he didnt make me do much work. all he wanted me to do was click the shutter release. adjust the shoes in a particular way. iron the dresses and shirts before the models put them on. make tea and coffee for clients.

one day when he wasnt looking, i tried fiddling with the camera and somehow, tripped over a wire on the floor, knocking over the tripod and camera. when the camera landed, the lens smashed and my uncle rushed into the studio. he didnt say anything. he didnt even pick up the pieces. he broke down n cried.

3 months later, he passed away. i found out later from his wife that he told her about the cancer the doctor found in his stomache two days before the camera smashing incident. and that when he saw the shattered lens, he knew he was not able to provide and care for the family anymore. she was 7 months pregnant at that time.

everytime i click the shutter, i think of how photography may mean nothing to many, but to the photographer, there will always be a story behind everything.

Have been exposed to photography from young, though wasn't serious at the point of time... I started out loving landscapes and photos I've seen on NatGeo, and always loved to shoot like that one day..

Quote Originally Posted by macrolandscape View Post
    when i was younger, around 14 or 15, i worked part time for my uncle. he took pictures for a living. he was quite a renowned commercial photographer. had assignments from the big departmental retail outlets. he didnt make me do much work. all he wanted me to do was click the shutter release. adjust the shoes in a particular way. iron the dresses and shirts before the models put them on. make tea and coffee for clients.

one day when he wasnt looking, i tried fiddling with the camera and somehow, tripped over a wire on the floor, knocking over the tripod and camera. when the camera landed, the lens smashed and my uncle rushed into the studio. he didnt say anything. he didnt even pick up the pieces. he broke down n cried.

3 months later, he passed away. i found out later from his wife that he told her about the cancer the doctor found in his stomache two days before the camera smashing incident. and that when he saw the shattered lens, he knew he was not able to provide and care for the family anymore. she was 7 months pregnant at that time.

everytime i click the shutter, i think of how photography may mean nothing to many, but to the photographer, there will always be a story behind everything.
    *Pats on back*

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    For me I think I am obessed with the army shooting range. Got marksman 4 times, then after national service cannot shoot anymore. So chose to shoot photographs instead... Ha Ha Ha...
    this got me laughing hard... lol.. good one..
    A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make mistakes.

To capture THE moment before it's lost ... till now still trying.
    D700|D300|24-70 f2.8|28-300 VRII|20-35 f/2.8|85 f/1.4|18-200VR|Toki 100 f/2.8 Macro|

*hugs and pats on back*
    A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make mistakes.

For me, taking a photo is a moment that requires a lot of concentration. I think it's because my skills and experience are still quite low.

The concentration needed from seeing a scene, visualizing a shot and setting up for the shot helps me to stop thinking of work and other issues in life. So I guess photography is a form of escapism for me...

For me is I used a compact digital camera last time.... every time i go holiday I bring and take pictures . One day i went Shanghai to watch a Tennis match and i realise the photo i took all blur and low quality over exposed ...etc... in short...the picture is nt nice.

Therefore, i learn about the cameras DSLR range and skills etc.........

The to explore and capture moment thru your own lenses is quite fun

Quote Originally Posted by NormanTan View Post
    Hi Cser,

I have been pondering by this question,"Why u like Photography"and"Why did u choose Photography as you Passion/Hobby?".i know i like Photography but i am jus unable to express it out in words and I have not been able to get an answer after a long time... Ever thought of this question yourself? if have, care to share it with me?

Regard,
    Norman
    a window to my world, the view as seen through my eyes, my perspective, my visions, photography manifests those brilliant memories and my thoughts into a tangible form of medium.

Everyone has a point but as for me, photographly is more on composing (which direction do you look things) Right?

So I practice photographly, it taught me looking at things from different views. This can put into practice in my daily works beside hobby.

Cheers!!!!

to get close with pretty models!!!!!!hahha.kidding

Quote Originally Posted by stanycjw View Post
    Everyone has a point but as for me, photographly is more on composing (which direction do you look things) Right?

So I practice photographly, it taught me looking at things from different views. This can put into practice in my daily works beside hobby.

Cheers!!!!
    ya.. true.. it oso makes u more observent
    Nikon D300|MB-D10|Nikon F2|Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G ED|Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D|SB-80DX|Next:70-200mm

A very touching story... that's the greatest fear every parent has....

Hi Cser,

I have been pondering by this question,"Why u like Photography"and"Why did u choose Photography as you Passion/Hobby?".i know i like Photography but i am jus unable to express it out in words and I have not been able to get an answer after a long time... Ever thought of this question yourself? if have, care to share it with me?

Regard,
    Norman

It started off as a camera for my sister school work but i began to realise....i can do more with a DSLR camera...

Capture moments which will not come again, treasure every moment of time

Capture moments in good photo quality vs low end compact camera photo quality

To share the fun of photo taking with own group of friends, camera can be pass around to friend whom may shoot a photo shot in their unique taste.

To gain different perception perspective to common life and things i take for granted like sky, food, local environment, etc.

With the whole load of photos taken, can leave behind a legacy for the future.
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

very touching story
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Hi Cser,

Regard,
    Norman
    Because I sux at drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by xylestesins View Post
    So, i got the noisiest/most solid shutter i can find. A monstrous metal curtain shutter Praktica MTL50
    That's about the only brand which can call it's own name.

When you release the shutter it literally goes 'PRAK-tica'.

i was forced into it.

my mom appointed me as her in house photographer from my primary sch days and I have never stopped since. :P

...because destiny calls

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast