Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: What tripod to buy?

  1. #1
    Member JosephTang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default What tripod to buy?

    I did some quick search on tripods and I must say I am still quite confused about the different types of tripods and their functionalities.

    What should I look when buying a tripod, besides stability and able to hold the weight of my camera?

    Is it only restricted to brand such as Manfrotto and Gitzo?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by JosephTang View Post
    I did some quick search on tripods and I must say I am still quite confused about the different types of tripods and their functionalities.

    What should I look when buying a tripod, besides stability and able to hold the weight of my camera?

    Is it only restricted to brand such as Manfrotto and Gitzo?

    Thanks in advance.
    As they are trusted brands for more then 30years. others do include Slik/Velbon

    Why not you go down to shop like cathay photo or TK foto and ask them about tripod advise. You are also advice to bring down your MAX camera equipment that you want to load on the tripod and test out. See, touch and feel the quality so that you can appreciate the quality of Manfrotto or even Gitzo.
    Last edited by jnet6; 6th January 2009 at 05:27 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Weight and size of the tripod.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    If you have no idea what to buy and have not much of a budget, I always recommend getting the basic YongNuo Gitai 3section Tripod from JLphoto. My review here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433241

    But if you have a budget (a healthy one-- S$300 will be good), a Manfrotto 190xproB + Manfrotto 486rc2 head will be good.

    Check the "Others" forum for a brief guideline on tripod selection.

    Cheers,
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  5. #5

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    I think you may wanna state your budget (which is an important factor becos the price range for tripod can be very wide). Another thing will be weight (if you wanna bring it for overseas shooting, you might want to consider getting a lighter tripod).



    Hi Zexun,
    I tried to submit an enquiry regarding the YongNuo tripods via the JL blog but failed to get any response. In the end, I bought my tripod elsewhere. Just wanna find out how can I place my order for other products found in JL? By PM-ing you?

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    also take note what type of photography you'll be concentrating on most of the time, portraits, landscapes, macro/close ups. macro/close ups might require you to get really near to a subject that is in odd angles and a flexible tripod leg can be advantageous.

    i personally find a ball head mount much easier to use and gives tremendous flexibility for almost any situation.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    I think you may wanna state your budget (which is an important factor becos the price range for tripod can be very wide). Another thing will be weight (if you wanna bring it for overseas shooting, you might want to consider getting a lighter tripod).



    Hi Zexun,
    I tried to submit an enquiry regarding the YongNuo tripods via the JL blog but failed to get any response. In the end, I bought my tripod elsewhere. Just wanna find out how can I place my order for other products found in JL? By PM-ing you?

    Thanks!
    The man is right. A heavy tripod would be a pain to lug around on a holiday-- you might leave it in your hotel room and then end up needing it for a particular shot 100km away or something.


    Regarding the JLphoto issue.. No, by emailing admin@jl-photo.net he usually responds at night. Perhaps your mail was overlooked? I'm just a pleased customer that always goes back to him for many products.

    Cheers,
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  8. #8
    Member JosephTang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    I think you may wanna state your budget (which is an important factor becos the price range for tripod can be very wide). Another thing will be weight (if you wanna bring it for overseas shooting, you might want to consider getting a lighter tripod).
    My budget is in the range of $200 to $300. Weight is definitely a consideration factor. I have a light weight SLIK tripod but it barely could support my DSLR when I mount the 17-85 lens. I won't even dare put my 70-200 on it.

  9. #9
    Member JosephTang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by blee5325 View Post
    also take note what type of photography you'll be concentrating on most of the time, portraits, landscapes, macro/close ups. macro/close ups might require you to get really near to a subject that is in odd angles and a flexible tripod leg can be advantageous.

    i personally find a ball head mount much easier to use and gives tremendous flexibility for almost any situation.
    Common usage of tripod for my case would be when I need to take group photos or night scene landscapes. Not fully into Macro yet.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    As they are trusted brands for more then 30years. others do include Slik/Velbon

    Why not you go down to shop like cathay photo or TK foto and ask them about tripod advise. You are also advice to bring down your MAX camera equipment that you want to load on the tripod and test out. See, touch and feel the quality so that you can appreciate the quality of Manfrotto or even Gitzo.
    I also checked Manfroto, Gitzo ... price high. According to the dpreview lots switching to this brand = BENRO ,, It availiable on ebay as well as Sim Lim SQ 6th floor -Oriental Photo.

    I brought the tripod model: M0058n6 (The M-series carbon fiber tripods ) and the Ball type header is (KB-0), with these combination it cost S$350 and it Carbon - Very light (Less than 1Kg)

    I hugged it for 5 hrs walking aroung without sweat.

    See this thread for specification: http://www.benro.cn/ENbenro/AA_index.asp

    Happy shopping

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by JosephTang View Post
    Common usage of tripod for my case would be when I need to take group photos or night scene landscapes. Not fully into Macro yet.
    cathay photo in peninsular plaza has a good range of tripods (legs and heads) in that range 200-300. Drop over and have a look at what's right for you, and like what jnet6 said, bring your gears down to try it out as well, if it's too much, just bring the heaviest setup you have.

    one more info, if you haven't already know, get a tripod that at the fully extended legs(neck not extended), with head and camera, the viewfinder should be around your eye level.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    West Singapore
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Got a quote from Cathay today.. But I wanted the SLIK Pro 330DX..

    This is the promotion they gave me:
    Offer: SLIK Pro 340 DX @S$138.30

    Free: Case, Lenspen Sensor Klear, Op/Tech Rain Sleeve, Akarui Dual Bubble split level micro fiber cloth,

    And Jumbo Blower brush. Offer whilst stock last
    Regards

  13. #13

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    If you have no idea what to buy and have not much of a budget, I always recommend getting the basic YongNuo Gitai 3section Tripod from JLphoto. My review here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433241

    But if you have a budget (a healthy one-- S$300 will be good), a Manfrotto 190xproB + Manfrotto 486rc2 head will be good.

    Check the "Others" forum for a brief guideline on tripod selection.

    Cheers,
    Zexun
    my height is 175, Manfrotto 190xproB + Manfrotto 486rc2 suitable for me?

  14. #14
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by kokoki888 View Post
    my height is 175, Manfrotto 190xproB + Manfrotto 486rc2 suitable for me?
    can try 055 also if you find it abit short.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    can try 055 also if you find it abit short.

    how much price diff?055 got so many model....

  16. #16
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by kokoki888 View Post
    how much price diff?055 got so many model....
    see if you like XproB (alu) or CXProB(CF) price difference will be a lot but not as much as gitzo.

    Check out my BnS.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    I'm 164 165, 190xproB + ballhead + camera, I still have to bend down a bit. 055xproB will suit you more if you're taller.

    Look here:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=529785
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  18. #18

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    see if you like XproB (alu) or CXProB(CF) price difference will be a lot but not as much as gitzo.

    Check out my BnS.
    thanks,because my budget max 500 ..

  19. #19
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by kokoki888 View Post
    thanks,because my budget max 500 ..
    Its a long term investment and do take into consideration for how often are you going to use the tripod for.

    I've also changed many tripods over thes 4yrs.

  20. #20

    Default Re: What tripod to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    Its a long term investment and do take into consideration for how often are you going to use the tripod for.

    I've also changed many tripods over thes 4yrs.
    i see,any idea selling how much? Manfrotto 055xprob and 488RC2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •