Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 318232627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 'No Photography' Plz...

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

No. I believe it was the HOme Affairs Minister who was making a comment regarding photography in public places, in relation to some outcry about people taking photos everywhere, stomping and stuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post

Anyone has the scan of the recent TNP article? Would like ot take a look at what they reported.

You can find the link to the report on this thread

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530297

Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

Puzzled by shopping mall's ban on photography

LAST week, I had dinner with my family at a restaurant in Northpoint Shopping Centre in Yishun.

As we were leaving the mall, I decided to snap some photos of my family. A security officer came over and told me I was not allowed to take photos. When I asked him why, he told me to go to Basement 2 and seek permission there before I could take photos.

Northpoint is a shopping centre that thousands of people visit. Just imagine if everyone who wants to take a photo has to seek permission first.

If the mall has a 'no photo-taking' policy, it should be clearly stated.

Our day was spoilt as a result. I e-mailed Frasers Centrepoint Malls about this a week ago but have yet to receive a reply.

Hari Krishnan

vince123123
    Guests

Unfortunately, the shopping mall is well within their rights to do so legally speaking. That said, the security guard may be challenged as sometimes there is no mall policy but they take things into their own hands; get the building manager out or something

Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post

LAST week, I had dinner with my family at a restaurant in Northpoint Shopping Centre in Yishun.

As we were leaving the mall, I decided to snap some photos of my family. A security officer came over and told me I was not allowed to take photos. When I asked him why, he told me to go to Basement 2 and seek permission there before I could take photos.

Northpoint is a shopping centre that thousands of people visit. Just imagine if everyone who wants to take a photo has to seek permission first.

Our day was spoilt as a result. I e-mailed Frasers Centrepoint Malls about this a week ago but have yet to receive a reply.

Hari Krishnan

Hari Krishnan
    I will just shoot.

I will then leave.

I got my picture, and there is nothing they can do about.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Recently I was at Suntec and was told by one of their staff that I was not supposed to take photographs.

Doesn't seem to apply to the Caucasians with their dSLRs though. Perhaps I look like a terrorist?

http://www.photosecrets.com/law.take.html

You can photograph whatever you can freely see. If the public is allowed to enter, then you can take photographs. This includes shopping malls, the lobbies of office buildings, parks, and shops. If a place is open to the public then permission to enter (and thus photograph) is assumed. However, that permission can be revoked. If you are asked to leave and do not, you are then trespassing, which is a separate issue.

my frens and i finished dinner at crowne plaza the other week, and and we were leaving, we passed by the great looking lobby. wanted to take a few snaps of my fren sitting on the sofa...and was stopped by one staff there...she says if we wants to take photo there, must send letter to HR dept for permission...in the end we left without taking any photos...

ironically...some ang moh there can take as much photo as they want...
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    my frens and i finished dinner at crowne plaza the other week, and and we were leaving, we passed by the great looking lobby. wanted to take a few snaps of my fren sitting on the sofa...and was stopped by one staff there...she says if we wants to take photo there, must send letter to HR dept for permission...in the end we left without taking any photos...

ironically...some ang moh there can take as much photo as they want...
    Must look like tourist.. then they won't bother u... I shot plenty of food shots there. No issues.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Must look like tourist.. then they won't bother u... I shot plenty of food shots there. No issues.
    I've got to learn some Korean then. When they say anything, just reply in Korean

vince123123
    Guests

Japanese also can:

Guard: Ooi cannot shoot!
    You: Nan desuka?
    Guard: Did you not hear me?
    You: Sumimasen, ego ga wakarimasen. Nihongoga hanashimasuka?
    Guard: &&*(*(@(@ (and leaves you alone).

Settled

Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    I've got to learn some Korean then. When they say anything, just reply in Korean

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    carrying a big arsed camera bag with another tripod bag...don look like tourist from china enuf meh? wah, somemore speaking in chinese slang leh...

like vince said...may should try talking back in japanese...
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    carrying a big arsed camera bag with another tripod bag...don look like tourist from china enuf meh? wah, somemore speaking in chinese slang leh...

like vince said...may should try talking back in japanese...
    I dunno...

My frens always say I look more jap than local...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Let's ee.

Outside Fullerton 1, by the water, with tripod and a model. Security guard came and gave me hell when a bunch of German speaking tourists were shooting happily everywhere. Idiot said, photography is not allowed on private property. I just wonder, do they also owned the entire promenade outside by the water?

In front of the Scarlet Hotel. We are ON THE SIDEWALK, shooting a model. Idiot manager came out saying that we cannot shoot the hotel. Why not I said. She said we might sell the picture. So, it's guilty before the crime?

Chimjes, was there with another photographer, she is American. We have 2 other friends, females, with us. I got harassed and she did not. One of my friend videoed the entire thingy with her mobile phone video cam. We lodged a formal complaint to Chimjes management, she got a reply and I did not. Nice going guys!

2 friends and I were shopping at one of the store on the ground floor of Paragon, one facing Orchard Road. Together we bought enough to buy an L lens, and it's not the f4 varieties. Friends want to take a picture of themselves in front of the display window. So I wiped out a PnS, took a few shot, and at the corner of my eye, a mad woman came out asking me what are we doing. I said it's none of her business, call the police if she wanted to, and if she did, we would want to return everything we just bought. She backed off. I wrote to the company's HQ in the US, got an apology. But so what, there will always be a sour taste in the mouth.

This is my favorite one. I was staying at one of the 5* hotel in Singapore. I was a guest. I was told, by another idiot wearing the hotel's uniform, that I cannot shoot the hotel lobby. I ask why? The answer was, I am using professional camera. It was my 20D and my friend, she was using a Leica. Oh well. Of course, what do you expect DP to do in this particular instance. I spent the next hour chewing more holes into the front desk manager, the duty manger and then the resident manager. I was compensated, but I should have have to have this experience.

And then ...

Shooting a model in front of HSBC headquarter in Hong Kong, on the tram track, on a Sunday morning. Police came by, told us to be careful, don't get run over by the tram.

Shooting a nude outdoor in one of the gardens in suzhou. Security came by and ask what's going on. My mandarin is well, what mandarin. The 2 security guards knew what was happenning, we smoked a cigarette or 2 together, shoot went on, they kept watch, all went well.
    Didn know got such thread.
    Nice one la, I like the last part man. What an s, those people. XD
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

the following is featured on ST forum today. someone was not happy with our bros.
    personally, how do you think??

Shocked to witness fashion shoot at War Memorial Park

LAST Saturday at 7pm, when I visited the War Memorial Park at the corner of Bras Basah Road and Beach Road with my family, I was dismayed and saddened to see the centre of the memorial crowded with six to eight photographers working on a fashion shoot with a female model. They were playing rock music as well.

Shocked, I approached them and asked two of them quietly if they thought what they were doing was appropriate. Responses were 'we are doing this in the right spirit' and 'there is no law against it'. I am still trying to work out what the 'right spirit' is.

The exchange was quiet and polite. I think the photographers were genuinely surprised that I had brought the matter up. It really did not occur to them that a public war memorial might not be the right place for a fashion shoot. I told them I was saddened by their actions and left them.

Are there guidelines on how the public should behave at a war memorial? If not, perhaps there should be. It looks like some people do not respect the fallen as they should.

D'Costa Rosanna Mary (Ms)

Erm, I was at central mall at clark quay, Ya kun, took out my small RF for a snap shot of my friend, got the whole "oh, you cant shoot in here"

damn... Whats the diff if I use my mobile to shoot a picture really?

Bo bian. With people wielding the power of internet by posting to Stomp and don't know what sites out there, people are now scared of cameras.

the following is featured on ST forum today. someone was not happy with our bros.
    personally, how do you think??

Shocked to witness fashion shoot at War Memorial Park

LAST Saturday at 7pm, when I visited the War Memorial Park at the corner of Bras Basah Road and Beach Road with my family, I was dismayed and saddened to see the centre of the memorial crowded with six to eight photographers working on a fashion shoot with a female model. They were playing rock music as well.

Shocked, I approached them and asked two of them quietly if they thought what they were doing was appropriate. Responses were 'we are doing this in the right spirit' and 'there is no law against it'. I am still trying to work out what the 'right spirit' is.

The exchange was quiet and polite. I think the photographers were genuinely surprised that I had brought the matter up. It really did not occur to them that a public war memorial might not be the right place for a fashion shoot. I told them I was saddened by their actions and left them.

Are there guidelines on how the public should behave at a war memorial? If not, perhaps there should be. It looks like some people do not respect the fallen as they should.

D'Costa Rosanna Mary (Ms)

i just wonder why rock music is played during photography. i dun shoot models, so i wonder if that is a practice.

anyway, singaporeans probably behave differently. there is no difference of the attititude towards the war, but somehow it is not projected through or towards the memorial, unlike other places who placed their memorial in a more important position. so unlike what the above writer wrote, some people do respect the fallen as they should, but they do not see or respect the memorial as it is, and whether this dissociation is right or wrong, i left that open.
    Last edited by zoossh; 21st December 2009 at 10:50 PM.

these photographers are creating trouble for us. If is there is one thing I hate about the Singaporean photography scene besides "GWC professional photographers" it is these "workshops" where the main aim is not photography, but oogling.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Unfortunately, the shopping mall is well within their rights to do so legally speaking. That said, the security guard may be challenged as sometimes there is no mall policy but they take things into their own hands; get the building manager out or something
    Correct. But on the other hand, before they ask you to leave (and assuming there is NO no photography sign), you can snap as much as you want, ain't broken no laws

Now if they ask you to leave and you don't then you end up as a trespasser, so you're wrong.

But what happens when they ask you to delete your pictures? This, I have no idea falls into which category.

Darn. I'm getting rusty.

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 318232627282930 ... LastLast