Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101518192021222530 ... LastLast

Thread: 'No Photography' Plz...

Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlcs View Post
    Maybe we can start a thread listing the commercial establishments that explicitly disallow
    photography in or near their premises, by signage or verbal instructions.

This way we can have an idea of the "no photography plz" situation in Singapore.

if that's the case, you literally have to name ALL of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    if that's the case, you literally have to name ALL of them.
    if we have to be that comprehensive so be it. we can always go back to the newspaper with a story for them to follow up on.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Hi yeobt, you've really has done us proud. Your passion to bring this issue to the next level is very potential for MP nomination.
    I think all photographers in Singapore should read this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlcs View Post
    Maybe we can start a thread listing the commercial establishments that explicitly disallow
    photography in or near their premises, by signage or verbal instructions.

This way we can have an idea of the "no photography plz" situation in Singapore.

i suggest inclusion of date (at least year and month) and a standardised way of format so that ppl can add on the list without the need for someone to maintain it meticulously.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    i suggest inclusion of date (at least year and month) and a standardised way of format so that ppl can add on the list without the need for someone to maintain it meticulously.
    The case about Biopolis seems a bit extreme to me. It's not as if our cameras are about to take pictures through the walls or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    Hi yeobt, you've really has done us proud. Your passion to bring this issue to the next level is very potential for MP nomination.
    I think all photographers in Singapore should read this thread.
    thank you.

MP? cannot lah, i bo ta chek (no education).
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

in ST forum today...

No double standards on photos but too many flouted rule, says Esplanade

I REFER to Monday's Forum Online letter by Mr Do Su Ern, 'Why double standards on taking photos at Esplanade?'
    As a general rule at Esplanade, the taking of pictures or recording of videos is disallowed at all times during a performance. These restrictions are often imposed by the artists themselves to ensure that their interests and the rights to their work are protected. To ensure that audiences are aware of these restrictions, in-house announcements are made before the start of each performance and signs are put up at all entry points to the venue.

Cats was presented by Lunchbox Theatrical Productions, an external hirer which booked our venue to present the show. As part of the performance experience, cast members dressed as cats would roam the venue during the last 10 minutes of the 20-minute intermission to interact with audiences.

During that period, an exception was made for audiences to interact with the 'cats' and take pictures with them, but on strict condition that no flash photography was allowed. This is because the bright lights from camera flashes will compromise the night vision of the cast members who had to climb and run around the darkened theatre as part of this special intermission experience. The no-flash-photography rule applied to all patrons in the theatre.

Beyond this stipulated period during the intermission, no photography or video recording of the performance was allowed.

Our ushers tried their best to advise patrons accordingly, but within a large venue it was not always possible to stop all errant flash photography.

We apologise if the manner in which the usher approached Mr Do came across as overly forceful. However, we seek his understanding that while photography was allowed with the 'cats' during the intermission, using flash posed an immediate safety risk to them. We recognise that our ushers need to strike a delicate balance between being polite while also remaining firm in such special circumstances.

We thank Mr Do for his feedback and have shared it with our ushers to ensure they are more mindful and tactful when enforcing such restrictions. We seek his understanding on this and hope he will continue to give Esplanade his support. We look forward to welcoming him back soon.

Ravi Sivalingam

Director of Operations

The Esplanade
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    in ST forum today...

I REFER to Monday's Forum Online letter by Mr Do Su Ern, 'Why double standards on taking photos at Esplanade?'
    As a general rule at Esplanade, the taking of pictures or recording of videos is disallowed at all times during a performance. These restrictions are often imposed by the artists themselves to ensure that their interests and the rights to their work are protected. To ensure that audiences are aware of these restrictions, in-house announcements are made before the start of each performance and signs are put up at all entry points to the venue.

Cats was presented by Lunchbox Theatrical Productions, an external hirer which booked our venue to present the show. As part of the performance experience, cast members dressed as cats would roam the venue during the last 10 minutes of the 20-minute intermission to interact with audiences.

During that period, an exception was made for audiences to interact with the 'cats' and take pictures with them, but on strict condition that no flash photography was allowed. This is because the bright lights from camera flashes will compromise the night vision of the cast members who had to climb and run around the darkened theatre as part of this special intermission experience. The no-flash-photography rule applied to all patrons in the theatre.

Beyond this stipulated period during the intermission, no photography or video recording of the performance was allowed.

Our ushers tried their best to advise patrons accordingly, but within a large venue it was not always possible to stop all errant flash photography.

We apologise if the manner in which the usher approached Mr Do came across as overly forceful. However, we seek his understanding that while photography was allowed with the 'cats' during the intermission, using flash posed an immediate safety risk to them. We recognise that our ushers need to strike a delicate balance between being polite while also remaining firm in such special circumstances.

We thank Mr Do for his feedback and have shared it with our ushers to ensure they are more mindful and tactful when enforcing such restrictions. We seek his understanding on this and hope he will continue to give Esplanade his support. We look forward to welcoming him back soon.

Ravi Sivalingam

Director of Operations

The Esplanade
    again where's the announcement b4 hand that no flash photography when mingling with the cast? also how come never address the issue of the overzealous jaga?

i think it can be seen that they are mainly afraid that pictures of good optical quality may affect sales of their side-products, hence why DSLR is targetted and not camera handphones/compact cameras, despite higher likelihood of flash from compact cameras. They will continue to claim no double standards but continue to practise it, i think.

in ST forum today...

Ravi Sivalingam

Director of Operations

The Esplanade

the handsome lawyer says:

everybody has the right of photography in public places. and owners are not allowed to
    impose any fee even if their shop is shot in a frame. in the event if the negative or camera
    is taken away for no reason, it is a case of robbery. if is pushed, it is a case of assault.

plz safe keep the article for reference.

i think it can be seen that they are mainly afraid that pictures of good optical quality may affect sales of their side-products, hence why DSLR is targetted and not camera handphones/compact cameras, despite higher likelihood of flash from compact cameras. They will continue to claim no double standards but continue to practise it, i think.
    This still doesn't address the issue of "no photography" within the other areas of the buildings. Like around the public areas around the theatre and inside the shopping mall.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    This still doesn't address the issue of "no photography" within the other areas of the buildings. Like around the public areas around the theatre and inside the shopping mall.
    i think the issue of shooting within performance and concert can be treated as a separate issue.

i think the issue of shooting within performance and concert can be treated as a separate issue.
    Yea... but they should also address the issue of shooting outside of the performance halls.

The guards/ushers should jolly well know that DSLR flashes need to be turned on to flash, while most PnS's flash needs to be turned off, else it will fire. But its the dslr users who's always being targeted, and may I say, local DSLR users.

Well, I went for the Cats performance last month. I dropped them a line before bringing my camera along & checked here as well. It is explained to me like what the report above said that photography is allowed during the break time when the "cats" interact with us. Anyway, I took just one since I was there to watch & not shoot. Well, the slapping mirror did make me quite conscious

The security check-in had no problem with my SLR. Well, come breaktime & the casts mingled with us & I have to agree that it was a nuisance when people started snapping away indiscriminately with their flashes even after the show started. It was like white flashes of fireworks.....

I find a problem with the people here is that many of us do not respect certain rules & basic attics.

It is a well known fact that when you visit museums & places of worships, you do not use flash in there. It's a shame that most Singaporeans don't heed this basic "rule of respect". I have seen so many times that our tourists are being "shooed" by EU locals when they do that, yet they keep repeating the same mistakes. Do you know that special lights are used in quality museums as regular spotlights damage the exhibits? I don't know about flashes but it can be an eye sore for other visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Yea... but they should also address the issue of shooting outside of the performance halls.

The guards/ushers should jolly well know that DSLR flashes need to be turned on to flash, while most PnS's flash needs to be turned off, else it will fire. But its the dslr users who's always being targeted, and may I say, local DSLR users.
    yes, but then the letter written to them is specifically on the intermission and maybe during performance, hence the reply is as such.

the latter is our other concern, but neither raised in the initial letter and hence not replied on.

unfortunately they always target the wrong people, so the problem will never be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by NineEleven View Post
    Well, I went for the Cats performance last month. I dropped them a line before bringing my camera along & checked here as well. It is explained to me like what the report above said that photography is allowed during the break time when the "cats" interact with us. Anyway, I took just one since I was there to watch & not shoot. Well, the slapping mirror did make me quite conscious

The security check-in had no problem with my SLR. Well, come breaktime & the casts mingled with us & I have to agree that it was a nuisance when people started snapping away indiscriminately with their flashes even after the show started. It was like white flashes of fireworks.....

I find a problem with the people here is that many of us do not respect certain rules & basic attics.

It is a well known fact that when you visit museums & places of worships, you do not use flash in there. It's a shame that most Singaporeans don't heed this basic "rule of respect". I have seen so many times that our tourists are being "shooed" by EU locals when they do that, yet they keep repeating the same mistakes. Do you know that special lights are used in quality museums as regular spotlights damage the exhibits? I don't know about flashes but it can be an eye sore for other visitors.

unfortunately they always target the wrong people, so the problem will never be solved.
    the issue here is that management is lazy and doesn't properly train or brief the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    the issue here is that management is lazy and doesn't properly train or brief the staff.
    well i guess they are after profit sales rather than customer satisfaction. but must say they have tip top quality service when big big ppl are ard.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    well i guess they are after profit sales rather than customer satisfaction. but must say they have tip top quality service when big big ppl are ard.
    exactly. but i wouldn't be surprised if the instructions come from the top. they are more worried that if people can take good shots, nobody will buy their merchandise, than say if any interferences from flash and clicks.
    Last edited by zoossh; 9th May 2009 at 01:19 AM.

Which reminds me... there were plenty of goondus who used flash in night safari too... and worse of all, against those nocturnal animals...

Haiz.... wat to do?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101518192021222530 ... LastLast