Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 71215161718192227 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 617

Thread: 'No Photography' Plz...

  1. #321

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    this sat i'm going to another renown restaurant for mother's day dinner.

    and because of this thread, i'm going to shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot like there's no tomorrow.
    really eager for some manager to come approach me.


    keep this thread update...
    Last edited by Gizmore; 7th May 2009 at 09:23 AM.

  2. #322

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    this sat i'm going to another renown restaurant for mother's day dinner.

    and because of this thread, i'm going to shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot like there's no tomorrow.
    really eager for some manager to come approach me.
    Why do you want the manager will stop you? Doubt he will stop you this sat. It's good business on this weekends. he will be too busy to be bother with you but more interested in your wallet.
    D80|50mm f1.4|Raynox DCR 250|Sigma 105mm|

  3. #323
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    comon,
    a pns can even have better resolution than a dslr.
    and if i'm a terrorist, of course i would rather carry a pns as opposed to a d3x with 70-200 afs.

    dont these people use their brains?
    that's exactly it. they have no brains.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  4. #324

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by kira7812 View Post
    Why do you want the manager will stop you? Doubt he will stop you this sat. It's good business on this weekends. he will be too busy to be bother with you but more interested in your wallet.
    why would i want the manager to stop me?

    so that i could ask him about photographic rights.i would love to get into this hot topic right now.
    and with my entire family of about 20 pax, i would love to see my family walk out on a 2k-per-table dinner due to disagreement on taking family photos.

    I'm sure they wouldnt want a scene like that.
    and I'm there to prove my point of whyi couldnt take photos of a family dinner gathering....IF i'm ever stopped.but i doubt i will be.

  5. #325

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    for many things in singapore that i observed...it reminds me of a quote from "Twins" where danny devito says, "Money talks, bullshit walks". and as observed many times before oso, unless somebody stands up and answer back, it's ussualy "security guard talks, we walk"...
    おれのflickrださ

  6. #326
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    comon,
    a pns can even have better resolution than a dslr.
    and if i'm a terrorist, of course i would rather carry a pns as opposed to a d3x with 70-200 afs.

    dont these people use their brains?
    Problem is, mebbe the brains aren't even used much... almost brand new.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #327
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    HooKit Hwatok
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Let's be fair here..

    For people who tells the story from their side or point of view, the end story, of course, will be made to cater to their whims and what have you not..

    In any case, to cut a long story shot. I watched Cats this coming round as well.. albeit not on the same day as Ms Do Su Ern and I witnessed a similiar occurrence to what she described... Only that, I wasn't part of the picture grabbing group that got stopped by the ushers and was able to observe the situation.

    Yes, although there was a standard no video nor photo signage outside the theatre entrance, but it is not as if the Esplanade bothers to take them down from show to show... and of course photography is allowed during the intermission and show as the announcer set the records straight from the onstart of the show. the only conditions were, NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY, as they may blind the actors vision during the show. and why mar the performance for the people sitting around you with your camera clicks anyway?

    And while some of them may think that no flash does not apply during the intermission, it does not mean the the actors were not affected by it. The actors were kindly posing and interacting with the audience as part of an interactive experience as mentioned by Ms Do. But what I saw, was over zealous audience, who put a point and shoot camera 15 cm away from their face and flashing away... U can tell the poor actress, in this case, was visibly disturbed by it, thou she still kept her cool and finished what she set out to do there, and went away. I noticed she went up to an usher and whispered something into her ears, and that was when they intervened...

    They went up to a person whose camera just flashed, and just put a hand infront of them and said nicely, sorry, no flash photography, and to that. the person rudely replied. "I did not flash what" I was like ........ U did not, but ur camera did.. and she brushed the usher aside and continued chasing the pictures.... I was honestly appalled by it, and what do you expect the usher to do other than to be more firm about it?


    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    today on ST.

    Why double standards on taking photos at Esplanade?

    I WAS at the Esplanade last Friday evening to see the musical Cats. During the intermission, some members of the cast, dressed in cat costumes, came off stage and mingled with the audience, many of whom were children. Many cast members posed for photographs with them. This was not an isolated occurrence throughout the theatre area.
    I thought this was a unique part of the overall experience.

    However, when I was taking a photo of a few cast members with some of the audience, an usher came up to me and curtly told me not to take photos.

    My surprised and automatic response was: 'Everyone else is doing it.' But she raised her voice and said: 'No flash.' I was bewildered and a little upset at her response.

    I have a few questions:

    - Is the Esplanade management practising double standards? Although a sign outside the theatre said 'no photography or video recording', certain members of the audience were allowed to do so, particularly those in more exclusive seating.

    - Is that particular Esplanade usher, among others, inadequately trained? Why did she address patrons in such a rude manner without sufficient explanation?

    - Is photography allowed during the intermission or after some performances?

    - If it is allowed, why does the use of flash during the intermission matter? And again, why are some people allowed to do so but others prohibited?

    I hope my experience at the Esplanade will not be marred in this fashion in future. There is little reason to spend a considerable sum to have an otherwise pleasant performance spoilt by such an incident.

    Do Su Ern

  8. #328
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by Itsbits View Post
    Let's be fair here..

    For people who tells the story from their side or point of view, the end story, of course, will be made to cater to their whims and what have you not..

    In any case, to cut a long story shot. I watched Cats this coming round as well.. albeit not on the same day as Ms Do Su Ern and I witnessed a similiar occurrence to what she described... Only that, I wasn't part of the picture grabbing group that got stopped by the ushers and was able to observe the situation.

    Yes, although there was a standard no video nor photo signage outside the theatre entrance, but it is not as if the Esplanade bothers to take them down from show to show... and of course photography is allowed during the intermission and show as the announcer set the records straight from the onstart of the show. the only conditions were, NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY, as they may blind the actors vision during the show. and why mar the performance for the people sitting around you with your camera clicks anyway?

    And while some of them may think that no flash does not apply during the intermission, it does not mean the the actors were not affected by it. The actors were kindly posing and interacting with the audience as part of an interactive experience as mentioned by Ms Do. But what I saw, was over zealous audience, who put a point and shoot camera 15 cm away from their face and flashing away... U can tell the poor actress, in this case, was visibly disturbed by it, thou she still kept her cool and finished what she set out to do there, and went away. I noticed she went up to an usher and whispered something into her ears, and that was when they intervened...

    They went up to a person whose camera just flashed, and just put a hand infront of them and said nicely, sorry, no flash photography, and to that. the person rudely replied. "I did not flash what" I was like ........ U did not, but ur camera did.. and she brushed the usher aside and continued chasing the pictures.... I was honestly appalled by it, and what do you expect the usher to do other than to be more firm about it?
    in that case esplanade is also at fault for not setting the record straight.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  9. #329

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    if only cameras can suck ppl souls. oh boy!
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  10. #330
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by Itsbits View Post
    Let's be fair here..

    For people who tells the story from their side or point of view, the end story, of course, will be made to cater to their whims and what have you not..

    In any case, to cut a long story shot. I watched Cats this coming round as well.. albeit not on the same day as Ms Do Su Ern and I witnessed a similiar occurrence to what she described... Only that, I wasn't part of the picture grabbing group that got stopped by the ushers and was able to observe the situation.

    Yes, although there was a standard no video nor photo signage outside the theatre entrance, but it is not as if the Esplanade bothers to take them down from show to show... and of course photography is allowed during the intermission and show as the announcer set the records straight from the onstart of the show. the only conditions were, NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY, as they may blind the actors vision during the show. and why mar the performance for the people sitting around you with your camera clicks anyway?

    And while some of them may think that no flash does not apply during the intermission, it does not mean the the actors were not affected by it. The actors were kindly posing and interacting with the audience as part of an interactive experience as mentioned by Ms Do. But what I saw, was over zealous audience, who put a point and shoot camera 15 cm away from their face and flashing away... U can tell the poor actress, in this case, was visibly disturbed by it, thou she still kept her cool and finished what she set out to do there, and went away. I noticed she went up to an usher and whispered something into her ears, and that was when they intervened...

    They went up to a person whose camera just flashed, and just put a hand infront of them and said nicely, sorry, no flash photography, and to that. the person rudely replied. "I did not flash what" I was like ........ U did not, but ur camera did.. and she brushed the usher aside and continued chasing the pictures.... I was honestly appalled by it, and what do you expect the usher to do other than to be more firm about it?
    am i rite to say that probably only non-mirror (ie non SLR) and non electronic zoom (ie non compact) cameras, e.g. rangefinder with manual zoom or prime lenses, is the only way to go for concerts? i'm not sure if digital rangefinder is noisy or not.

    honestly, the mirror slap and noise from AF/zooming is probably the only issue. flash is unnecessary as the stage is so far off anyway.

  11. #331
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Lets be fairer here.

    1. if no flash photography then state that, and do not enlarge it to no photography.
    2. if flash photography happen be it DSLR, p&s or even mobile phone, please impose fine.
    3. have CCTV footage as proof.
    4. dont anyhow put people who bring DSLR into same category of people who bring p&s. Seriously p&s user are the worst offender in flash photography because they have set all at auto they even take flash photo of fireworks! DSLR users are normally more careful on what to set. And if it says no tripod, then I should be allowed to bring monopod!

    Quote Originally Posted by Itsbits View Post
    Let's be fair here..

    For people who tells the story from their side or point of view, the end story, of course, will be made to cater to their whims and what have you not..

    In any case, to cut a long story shot. I watched Cats this coming round as well.. albeit not on the same day as Ms Do Su Ern and I witnessed a similiar occurrence to what she described... Only that, I wasn't part of the picture grabbing group that got stopped by the ushers and was able to observe the situation.

    Yes, although there was a standard no video nor photo signage outside the theatre entrance, but it is not as if the Esplanade bothers to take them down from show to show... and of course photography is allowed during the intermission and show as the announcer set the records straight from the onstart of the show. the only conditions were, NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY, as they may blind the actors vision during the show. and why mar the performance for the people sitting around you with your camera clicks anyway?

    And while some of them may think that no flash does not apply during the intermission, it does not mean the the actors were not affected by it. The actors were kindly posing and interacting with the audience as part of an interactive experience as mentioned by Ms Do. But what I saw, was over zealous audience, who put a point and shoot camera 15 cm away from their face and flashing away... U can tell the poor actress, in this case, was visibly disturbed by it, thou she still kept her cool and finished what she set out to do there, and went away. I noticed she went up to an usher and whispered something into her ears, and that was when they intervened...

    They went up to a person whose camera just flashed, and just put a hand infront of them and said nicely, sorry, no flash photography, and to that. the person rudely replied. "I did not flash what" I was like ........ U did not, but ur camera did.. and she brushed the usher aside and continued chasing the pictures.... I was honestly appalled by it, and what do you expect the usher to do other than to be more firm about it?

  12. #332

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    all signages of 'no photography' in chinatown have gone in 60 sec.
    the WB journalists called me this morning when they were there trying to capture it but
    couldn't find them anymore. think the SM journal has 'beat the bushes and scare off the snake' liao.

    i'm buying the papers this evening.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  13. #333
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Any further updates from the Chinese media? Would appreciate if someone will post the article for those who does not have access to it.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  14. #334

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    HOORAY!!! news out on papers liao.

    will post the article later, let me finish my dinner first.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  15. #335
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Lets be fairer here.

    1. if no flash photography then state that, and do not enlarge it to no photography.
    no, i think it should be stated plainly as "no flash is allowed", without putting photography in, so as to avoid confusion.

  16. #336

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    why would i want the manager to stop me?

    so that i could ask him about photographic rights.i would love to get into this hot topic right now.
    and with my entire family of about 20 pax, i would love to see my family walk out on a 2k-per-table dinner due to disagreement on taking family photos.

    I'm sure they wouldnt want a scene like that.
    and I'm there to prove my point of whyi couldnt take photos of a family dinner gathering....IF i'm ever stopped.but i doubt i will be.
    This is indeed strange behavior. I admit I don't take pictures of food in the local restaurants. But, the times when I do take group shots, nobody has ever said no. If it's a European fine dining. I indicate to the staff and nobody has ever said no.

    My wife takes pictures of all the restaurants and food when we travel. From chai stalls to french fine dining. I have never encountered an incident where the staff are unhappy we take so much interest in their food and establishment.

    What is the source of this strange behavior we encounter here?

  17. #337
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by bernards View Post
    This is indeed strange behavior. I admit I don't take pictures of food in the local restaurants. But, the times when I do take group shots, nobody has ever said no. If it's a European fine dining. I indicate to the staff and nobody has ever said no.

    My wife takes pictures of all the restaurants and food when we travel. From chai stalls to french fine dining. I have never encountered an incident where the staff are unhappy we take so much interest in their food and establishment.

    What is the source of this strange behavior we encounter here?
    maybe they think that you're trying to reverse engineer the recipe from the photos.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  18. #338

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    I think that with the onset of blogging and our "famous" STOMP, some of these
    food outlets may have received some bad publicity for the bad customer service
    or poor quality food. So, they restrict photography to contain any damage to the
    business.

    BUT, the problem is that when you are bad, without pictures, people still can write
    bad reviews.

    Well, kudos to those that allow photography.

    And, those that do not, you are killing yourself in the age of internet.


    Quote Originally Posted by bernards View Post
    This is indeed strange behavior. I admit I don't take
    pictures of food in the local restaurants. But, the times when I do take group
    shots, nobody has ever said no. If it's a European fine dining. I indicate to
    the staff and nobody has ever said no.

    My wife takes pictures of all the restaurants and food when we travel. From chai
    stalls to french fine dining. I have never encountered an incident where the staff
    are unhappy we take so much interest in their food and establishment.

    What is the source of this strange behavior we encounter here?
    [ Flickr ]

  19. #339

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...



    anyone needs translation?
    Last edited by yeobt; 7th May 2009 at 09:42 PM.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  20. #340

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post

    anyone needs translation?
    Haahaa. Translation please. Smart fella in the suit, who is he?

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 71215161718192227 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •