Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 617

Thread: 'No Photography' Plz...

  1. #181
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpartner View Post
    It seems that foreign people never get scolded.
    Uniquely Singapore.
    They need the tourism money... not our local one...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  2. #182

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    someone told me its even worse inside.
    It is, the staff would get very rude if they see you taking pictures inside. If you hang your DSLR around your neck when you walk into the library, they'll stop you and get you to keep your camera.

  3. #183
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Hahahaha, but I don't mind - I'm jsut a pm away

    My only regret is that I seldom encounter such instances but when I do, I make sure I stand up for what I believe

    But don't suka suka lah, must have a scenario where there is a high chance of trigger happy guards then call me Else wasted trip leh.

    The best cases of success are those pple who try to stop you from shooting when you are standing on the road, but aiming at their shop. That one I'll love to get involved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    thanks Lawyer !
    Like our MM, maybe next time I go shooting in public i bring along my lawyer Vince, bodyguards, bankers, etc....

  4. #184
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by danielli View Post
    It is, the staff would get very rude if they see you taking pictures inside. If you hang your DSLR around your neck when you walk into the library, they'll stop you and get you to keep your camera.
    i think must raise this loudly liao. its pretty bs.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  5. #185
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Another great example of a person who stand up for his belief What is sad however is that with the new Public Order Act (not sure when its going to be effected); the police will have wide enough discretino to possibly stop such things.

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    ISA dont apply that way lah. dont worry.

    well, i was once stopped by a TP for shooting an accident scene. he wanted me to delete
    the pic i took which i refused. i than wrote in to MHA and TP to clarify if taking photo in
    public places is not allowed. i received an apology call from TP name jason a week later.
    i was reaffirmed by jason that photography is allowed and always do in public places even
    if is an accident scene as long as we are not in the way of their officers investigation.

  6. #186
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Another great example of a person who stand up for his belief What is sad however is that with the new Public Order Act (not sure when its going to be effected); the police will have wide enough discretino to possibly stop such things.
    ya i brought this up b4.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  7. #187
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Well it is, at this time, merely a possibility. Will require some testing

  8. #188

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    This is the first time I heard NLB banning photography. I think I may try it out one day and test their security guard's knowledge and resolve.
    On heavy traffic days, it appears there is one guard roaming around outside the building stopping people from shooting. The guard seems to be very busy. I guess nobody would imagine there is a ban in such a public place. Seriously, what kind of a fool would decide on such a ban. Even on the pavements surrounding the building. Doesn't matter if you are shooting in the direction away from the building.

    I decided to take a moment and observe this curious ritual, after I was stopped from shooting my 3 year old with a Rolleiflex. At least the guard was fair and showed no discrimination. Old, young, brown, white, yellow, big, small, film, digital, everybody was shooed.
    Last edited by bernards; 4th May 2009 at 08:46 PM.

  9. #189
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Under NLB FAQs,


    2. Can I take photos or videos of your library?

    Photography or filming in the library is strictly not permitted unless permission is obtained in writing from the library management.

    But it does not mention anything about OUTSIDE the library... which normally does not fall under their perjury....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #190
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    PS : Inquiries to the NLB can be made thru

    Quality Service Manager (QSM)

    QSM Line : 1800-332 3370
    Fax : 6547 1975
    E-mail : qsm@nlb.gov.sg
    Mail : National Library Board
    50, Geylang East Avenue 1
    Singapore 389777
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  11. #191
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Anyone wanna organise a trip standing on the road and then aiming into the library? HEHEH

  12. #192

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Anyone wanna organise a trip standing on the road and then aiming into the library? HEHEH

    Let's do it. I will be there!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  13. #193

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    We can TFCD DP in sequined HAAWTT PEENNKKK G-sling bikini!!!

  14. #194

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Under NLB FAQs,


    2. Can I take photos or videos of your library?

    Photography or filming in the library is strictly not permitted unless permission is obtained in writing from the library management.

    But it does not mention anything about OUTSIDE the library... which normally does not fall under their perjury....
    I am no expert with Singapore libraries and their polices. But you probably won't be harassed outside the neighborhood branches. (Again, I never expected to be shooed from any library.) The National Library Building is another matter altogether. It's THE temple where the high priests of their tribe go on their power trips. Check it out for yourself.

    What is next? The Merlion? Terrorists might attack it, or opportunists might sell images of it.

  15. #195

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    canonised....i really cant help but feel angry for you.
    no shooting of the durians?!?!?and around the area?!?!?!?!??!?
    gosh...this has to be the ULTIMATE example of "NO PHOTOGRAPORE"!!!!!

    If i were you, I will challenge him to get his manager or supervisor out.
    i will bring this to the highest level if need be.

    this is totally absurb and BS.

  16. #196

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by bernards View Post
    I am no expert with Singapore libraries and their polices. But you probably won't be harassed outside the neighborhood branches. (Again, I never expected to be shooed from any library.) The National Library Building is another matter altogether. It's THE temple where the high priests of their tribe go on their power trips. Check it out for yourself.

    What is next? The Merlion? Terrorists might attack it, or opportunists might sell images of it.
    We can't shoot in the area outside the National Library? Anybody can clarify on this?

    Anyway, you'll probably attract more stares if a pro-DSLR holder was on the street taking photos, and compared to PnS.

  17. #197
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by dark72 View Post
    We can't shoot in the area outside the National Library? Anybody can clarify on this?

    Anyway, you'll probably attract more stares if a pro-DSLR holder was on the street taking photos, and compared to PnS.

    As long you're outside of their building plot, they can't stop you. It can be "public" grounds, like a plaza, but still within their own "private" property (within the building plot)

  18. #198

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by bernards View Post
    I am no expert with Singapore libraries and their polices. But you probably won't be harassed
    outside the neighborhood branches. (Again, I never expected to be shooed from any library.)
    The National Library Building is another matter altogether. It's THE temple where the high
    priests of their tribe go on their power trips.

    Check it out for yourself.

    What is next? The Merlion? Terrorists might attack it, or opportunists might sell images of it.
    No wonder it is designed as so ... to be nearer to heaven?




    It is said that the nett area usable percentage is really small for such big structure.
    You will see that the empty areas is more than the actual areas used for library books.
    Just go in to look.
    [ Flickr ]

  19. #199

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    canonised....i really cant help but feel angry for you.
    no shooting of the durians?!?!?and around the area?!?!?!?!??!?
    gosh...this has to be the ULTIMATE example of "NO PHOTOGRAPORE"!!!!!

    If i were you, I will challenge him to get his manager or supervisor out.
    i will bring this to the highest level if need be.

    this is totally absurb and BS.
    ya jeanie .... actually at that time i wanted to make a big fuzz but then when i looked at him, i felt really pity for his miserable face ...... so young and ignorance and stupid, and also i didnt want to stop the shoot for the other nice guys.

    if only i have time this week, i would have written to the management for their official statement on photography in and around the Durians, as well as the Walk.
    always the Light, .... always.

  20. #200
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: 'No Photography' Plz...

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlcs View Post
    No wonder it is designed as so ... to be nearer to heaven?




    It is said that the nett area usable percentage is really small for such big structure.
    You will see that the empty areas is more than the actual areas used for library books.
    Just go in to look.
    A huge part of the area is for the Drama Centre auditorium and offices of NLB

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •