• Bad quality

6 18.75%
  • Lousy

21 65.63%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Local TV shows

Default Re: Local TV shows

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Maybe they don't like the actor's voice?

Acting is another issue, some of them can't even act.
    Comes down to budget vs. talent pool vs. ROI.

The survey results are bad

Last time I actualy watch a full length of anything local ( apart from the documentaries which are pretty well done ) is like almost 20 yrs ago.

I can think of a few reasons for the quality of local shows:

1. Shows about the olden times have a longer shelf life.
    2. The target audience are usually aunties, mommies, grannies or older folks because the rest of the people are busy at work.
    3. They still have not forgiven themselves for airing VR-Man.
    4. Love, lies and greed... you can't beat the combination. Imagine a local sci-fi/action show. See point no 3.
    5. Tight budget because Singaporean's like it cheap.

LOL!

the thing that amazes me is that tcs never hesitates to brag about all the awards its won...makes me think wtf awards is this?! or how bad is the competition?!
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    the thing that amazes me is that tcs never hesitates to brag about all the awards its won...makes me think wtf awards is this?! or how bad is the competition?!
    They love blowing their own trumpet. It makes them feel purposeful because since no one has the bandwidth to offer them awards, they award themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    I can think of a few reasons for the quality of local shows:

1. Shows about the olden times have a longer shelf life.
    2. The target audience are usually aunties, mommies, grannies or older folks because the rest of the people are busy at work.
    3. They still have not forgiven themselves for airing VR-Man.
    4. Love, lies and greed... you can't beat the combination. Imagine a local sci-fi/action show. See point no 3.
    5. Tight budget because Singaporean's like it cheap.

LOL!
    Some chinese shows from 2000s are nice, like Beyond Axis of Thruth and Angels Wings (or Dreams) aka "Zheng Xiang".

Wonder where they get their scriptwriters from. Most of the times the storylines are all alike.

The english shows are bad too. I laugh at the comedies not because they're funny, its because they're trying too hard to be funny (Mr Kiasu, Brothers 4).

Then some are just plain lame.. VR Man anyone? Now Okto having their own version of "power rangers".
    Last edited by redstone; 5th January 2009 at 02:44 PM.

They love blowing their own trumpet. It makes them feel purposeful because since no one has the bandwidth to offer them awards, they award themselves.
    ya lor the truly great dun need to brag.

Then some are just plain lame.. VR Man anyone? Now Okto having their own version of "power rangers".
    That one I think...HARD FIGHT with " Master of the Seas"

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Last time I actualy watch a full length of anything local ( apart from the documentaries which are pretty well done ) is like almost 20 yrs ago.
    I watched the local productions with black and white TV and they were very good. We had the only TV set in the whole village.

just bring PCK back!
    have u seen the "light" yet?

I had a really REALLY hard time trying to explain the embarrassment that is Phua Chu Kang to my non-Singaporean friends when some boffin thought that he is a character that Singaporeans outside Singapore will miss, and hence brought him down to Singapore Day 2008 at Melbourne.

I had no where to hide my shame. not even the ground beneath my feet, which at the Sidney Meyer Bowl is located on some hill. it was filled and fully occupied by fellow Singaporeans trying to escape the lame jokes and not funny moments of comedy.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    I had a really REALLY hard time trying to explain the embarrassment that is Phua Chu Kang to my non-Singaporean friends when some boffin thought that he is a character that Singaporeans outside Singapore will miss, and hence brought him down to Singapore Day 2008 at Melbourne.

I had no where to hide my shame. not even the ground beneath my feet, which at the Sidney Meyer Bowl is located on some hill. it was filled and fully occupied by fellow Singaporeans trying to escape the lame jokes and not funny moments of comedy.
    My wife says her Aussie friends in Wollonggong thinks Singapore is one big PCK.

That one I think...HARD FIGHT with " Master of the Seas"
    Wah... that one is super classic 90s show man...or was it the 80s? Can almost fight with Days of our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post

PCK as a comedy is fine with me.. his Singlish is fine with me. But he's getting overrated. Still remember him appearing on Amazing Race when the race was in Singapore.

Wah... that one is super classic 90s show man...or was it the 80s? Can almost fight with Days of our lives.
    90s lah heheh.... some more...got star 1-2 failed Hollywood "ABC" actors that was "foreign talented" to come to SIngapore to act in it too...if I recall correctly or also failed Hollywood script writer(s) too.

Days of out lives, General Hospital or Peyton Place easily beat this show hands down man....

PCK as a comedy is fine with me.. his Singlish is fine with me. But he's getting overrated. Still remember him appearing on Amazing Race when the race was in Singapore.
    yalor yalor...that was the shocker back then..to think so many more viable things, places or iconic people they could have used and they choose "him". Hey I love Gurmit but comon!!!....

Oh ya...and Under One Roof... Remember how they play and praise that one hit wonder Executive Producer ( Andrea) who went all the way to London to study for her career in Show Productions and how she was the next big thing to hit the local show broadcasting. Where is that one hit wonder now? heheh.... Got lucky with one series and they made her out to be some "Arron Spelling" like that when all she did after which was do a cookie cutter template the same gendre to other productions (which failed) We seem to be very eager to pat ourselves on the back.

They don't have shows about other things except love, love and more love stuffs. Can't they be like hongkong, more on action less on the love. And, they must really stop praising government policy indirectly/directly in their dramas.

yalor yalor...that was the shocker back then..to think so many more viable things, places or iconic people they could have used and they choose "him". Hey I love Gurmit but comon!!!....

Oh ya...and Under One Roof... Remember how they play and praise that one hit wonder Executive Producer ( Andrea) who went all the way to London to study for her career in Show Productions and how she was the next big thing to hit the local show broadcasting. Where is that one hit wonder now? heheh.... Got lucky with one series and they made her out to be some "Arron Spelling" like that when all she did after which was do a cookie cutter template the same gendre to other productions (which failed) We seem to be very eager to pat ourselves on the back.
    need to be yogi masters like dhalsim to reach the broadside of this back

Quote Originally Posted by La Vida View Post
    They don't have shows about other things except love, love and more love stuffs. Can't they be like hongkong, more on action less on the love. And, they must really stop praising government policy indirectly/directly in their dramas.
    Kissing is easier to act than fighting action.

If not siam someone's face may get punched by another actor.
    Last edited by Sion; 5th January 2009 at 09:29 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast