Thread: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable - PISSED

Unhappy The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable - PISSED

Hi all,

I bought a CFI 4-bay enclosure recently. Everything working well until the a few days ago when out of the blue 2 of my HDs went offline. The error msg is "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I was STILL pretty OK because those two did not contain critical information and I could just do a re-partition and re-format.

The last straw came when the 3rd one also went out on Sunday evening. Same msg. Now I am mighty pissed because I basically saved my whole life on this HD. So far I lost 1 terabyte of data.

Running Win XP SP3 and using Firewire connection. My last backup was about a month ago and there was very very important data saved since then. There is no physical issue ie. no bad sectors, no click clicks, NO virus. I also used another Vantec enclosure and the HD remains unaccessible. TESTDISK says filesystem is damaged.

Can anyway assist? Getting a data recovery guy to do the work will be a very very very last resort. I am very sure the data is still there. Just the MBR or file record or metadata is screwed up. TIA!!!
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

Default Re: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable - PISSED

MBR can be fixed.

iirc there is a command... but you have to know, what is that enclosure using. If its using a proprietary OS to run that, then you'll have a problem... esp if its one that will format the hdd to run Linux and samba.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

vince123123
    Guests

I have been using CFI enclosures and do not have any problems with them so far. In fact I have 2x8bay enclosures

I do suggest you can try this program (you do need to pay for it, but it's far cheaper than any data recovery centre). Active Undelete.

It does quite a good job of recovering data that is already there, but is somewhat inaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by babykailan View Post
    Hi all,

I bought a CFI 4-bay enclosure recently. Everything working well until the a few days ago when out of the blue 2 of my HDs went offline. The error msg is "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I was STILL pretty OK because those two did not contain critical information and I could just do a re-partition and re-format.

The last straw came when the 3rd one also went out on Sunday evening. Same msg. Now I am mighty pissed because I basically saved my whole life on this HD. So far I lost 1 terabyte of data.

Running Win XP SP3 and using Firewire connection. My last backup was about a month ago and there was very very important data saved since then. There is no physical issue ie. no bad sectors, no click clicks, NO virus. I also used another Vantec enclosure and the HD remains unaccessible. TESTDISK says filesystem is damaged.

Can anyway assist? Getting a data recovery guy to do the work will be a very very very last resort. I am very sure the data is still there. Just the MBR or file record or metadata is screwed up. TIA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I have been using CFI enclosures and do not have any problems with them so far. In fact I have 2x8bay enclosures

I do suggest you can try this program (you do need to pay for it, but it's far cheaper than any data recovery centre). Active Undelete.

It does quite a good job of recovering data that is already there, but is somewhat inaccessible.
    Thanks bro. Program looks good but have you used it? If so can I chk does it recover FILENAMES as well? I got about 10,000 files and dont think recovering them with filenames as serial nos. will be helpful. I will probably pull my hair out sorting them. LOL...

Any other ways to accessing a unreadable or corrupted file / directory or damaged filesystem? Can anyone shed light if fiddling with the MBR, partition tables or FAT will help or something? I strongly believe it is a case of software screwup.

vince123123
    Guests

Yup, I speak from personal experience. In my case, it recovered everything, directory structure, filenames everything.

Quote Originally Posted by babykailan View Post
    Thanks bro. Program looks good but have you used it? If so can I chk does it recover FILENAMES as well? I got about 10,000 files and dont think recovering them with filenames as serial nos. will be helpful. I will probably pull my hair out sorting them. LOL...

Any other ways to accessing a unreadable or corrupted file / directory or damaged filesystem? Can anyone shed light if fiddling with the MBR, partition tables or FAT will help or something? I strongly believe it is a case of software screwup.

I ran TESTDISK and discovered BOTH the MFT and MFT mirror are damaged. Goodness. So is there no other way apart from buying a data recovery software?

What could had caused this?