View Poll Results: Parents, do you have a maid?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 45.00%
  • No

    22 55.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Parents, do you have a maid?

  1. #1

    Default Parents, do you have a maid?

    Just curious. My wife insist that we do not get a maid.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Under the Son
    Posts
    2,685

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    Just curious. My wife insist that we do not get a maid.
    what's the reason? look for a good agency that can offer change maid if she's not capable to do the job; until you satisfied with the maid, unlimited change normally they give.

    use them mainly to do the house cleaning and not to take a look your kids, well maybe sometimes its ok.
    ubans.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Not me. Can't afford one...

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    I am a maid in my home.

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I am a maid in my home.
    got any self portrait to show or not?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Sometimes, night86mare come over my place to help me with the laundry.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by xl1 View Post
    what's the reason? look for a good agency that can offer change maid if she's not capable to do the job; until you satisfied with the maid, unlimited change normally they give.

    use them mainly to do the house cleaning and not to take a look your kids, well maybe sometimes its ok.
    unlimited? I dun think so leh.... if there is no major problems, cannot keep on changing maid lah. I think only can change twice. If maid run away or refuse to work, then can change maid... otherwise, i think only limited to 2 change per contract (2 years). If within 2 years and you change more than 4 times (I think), MOM will actually call you up for an interview to enquire whats the reasons of changing and they have the right not to let you hire another maid if you do not have a valid reason......
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  8. #8

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    What kind of maid? the Jap type?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    Just curious. My wife insist that we do not get a maid.
    a maid is like opening a brand new can of worms.

    i agree with your wife, but contradictingly, i cant do without one.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    a maid is like opening a brand new can of worms.

    i agree with your wife, but contradictingly, i cant do without one.
    The other way is also true.......don't only look from your side only, very selfish

  11. #11

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    its nice to have a maid from japan. I am sure your wife will agree to one.

    well, it is being singaporean to have one. couples are generally independent from external help to care for children. in many other parts of the world, it is a luxury to have a maid at home. it is just a way of living singaporeans are so used to. some homes have two maids as they need to carry the handicapped elderly (to help the person shower, clean up, get onto a wheel chair, etc). if you can afford one, its not a sin to hire one.

    But the ailing economy may see some changes soon.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    a maid is like opening a brand new can of worms.
    And I personally don't like the way you put it so negatively, as if maids are the bad kind of people in our society. They are doing a job, and you as a boss has your duty to take care of them as well. There are very bad bosses too who treat maids like slaves, so please open up your mind

    HS

  13. #13

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    I have one but wife and I insist on taking care of our kids. The domestic help spends very little time with our kid. Her duties involve cleaning, washing and cooking. This gives us more time and energy for our kid.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    a maid is like opening a brand new can of worms.

    i agree with your wife, but contradictingly, i cant do without one.
    It is true hiring a maid is not an easy experience for both employers and employees. Sometimes its luck to find a perfect match. It is easier to train an employee than for employee to train the employer. hence there are more guidelines to protect the employees.

    my mom had a maid that tried to practice black magic on the family, stole coins, money and jeweleries. for the black magic part, my brother found out, then showed her a little box containing several thai gods, enough to give her a shock what the underworld is capable of doing. her black magic were useless folk tales actually. she was fired eventually.

    so, its really not easy experience to hire a maid or to change one. But good karma will bring good luck to a family usually.

  15. #15
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    It is true hiring a maid is not an easy experience for both employers and employees. Sometimes its luck to find a perfect match. It is easier to train an employee than for employee to train the employer. hence there are more guidelines to protect the employees.

    my mom had a maid that tried to practice black magic on the family, stole coins, money and jeweleries. for the black magic part, my brother found out, then showed her a little box containing several thai gods, enough to give her a shock what the underworld is capable of doing. her black magic were useless folk tales actually. she was fired eventually.

    so, its really not easy experience to hire a maid or to change one. But good karma will bring good luck to a family usually.
    Or simply ....good old self reliant. With all the modern appliances and technology compared to the days of our fathers and before. With the primative means of doing stuff...family with more then 2 kids are still able to make ends meet and raise some fine adults. There is always the question of conveninence versus laziness. I suspect it is both but a little more bias to the latter.

  16. #16
    Moderator LOTUSfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    3,337

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I am a maid in my home.
    sama sama..
    蓮花仙子

  17. #17

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    sama sama..
    You are a fairy, still want a maid for what?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Or simply ....good old self reliant. With all the modern appliances and technology compared to the days of our fathers and before. With the primative means of doing stuff...family with more then 2 kids are still able to make ends meet and raise some fine adults. There is always the question of conveninence versus laziness. I suspect it is both but a little more bias to the latter.
    it is a lifestyle the affluent society chooses. sometimes i feel ashamed that some wealthy families i visited overseas do not have a full time maid. they just hire part time cleaners to clean up once in a while. and when they want a cup of water, they get it themselves.

  19. #19
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    it is a lifestyle the affluent society chooses.
    Affluent??? My HDB neighborhood? The one that buys a Rolex but buy all the cheapest brands of clothing and match it with some china slippers and hope upon hope..people would look upon them and think they are rich and affluent??? That Affluent you mean??? heheheh... I see that as being... what they see the rich have...they also want it...abeit cheaper hired helped as oppose to Butler and Man Servants? I know of 2 in the past 10 yrs in which they made their maid sleep in the store room...with the doors open of course so they are not looked upon as being wicked and cruel.

    In any case...to each their own. You want a pet. The Maid really is the pet's owner. You want a kid or two. The maid is the real mother of the kid or two. You thought your wife looks after the home while you work. Actually the Maid is. The wife is out having fun with her kakis or playing mahjong. Not a sweeping statement mind you but well I know of quite a few....and some married to friends I know.

    Here's a classic one from someone close to me I know. On his wedding day, the mother in law pull him aside after he spent a ton of money to come thru the door of the bride's home to get her. The mother said them as a reminder to look after her daughter and that in no uncertain term, the daughter is to do housework. It's him or a maid which they will have to get, once they have their own home. Mind you, the lady's family is not well off but stays in a 3 room flat. You would expect they should know about living less then well off. Classic!!!.. just classic.....

    As I said...so long as you can afford one and well...you can justify it, I guess everyone have that right to do so. But hopefully most will treat her like human.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Parents, do you have a maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    And I personally don't like the way you put it so negatively, as if maids are the bad kind of people in our society. They are doing a job, and you as a boss has your duty to take care of them as well. There are very bad bosses too who treat maids like slaves, so please open up your mind

    HS
    excuse me, i have 3 maids in my family.
    all of them have been with us for more than 3 years.
    we treat them well, but well= they take things for granted.

    if you dont agree with what i commented, it means you obviously do not have a maid before.

    so please open up your own mind and mentality and your eyes (especially) before you even try to comment on what i've commented.


    i dare say, in singapore, there are less than 5% of singaporeans who treat maids as well as my family treat them.

    i dont even want to list out their priviledges in case fellow employers think i'm one of those who 'spoil-market'.

    get things straight guy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •