Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D90 or D300 ??

Default Re: Nikon D90 or D300 ??

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    I'm deciding between these 2 cameras as well, but will probably opt for the lighter one. So I think it must be the D90.
    Sometimes I feel so weird. Why would someone call D300 heavy ? Hold a D3 you will feel D300 also feel like a feather, of course, that makes D90 feels like a speck of dust. Kidding.....

Maybe it's just preference, that's okay. I have handled a D90 before, the feeling of lens heavy and body light is really so weird. People keep on complaining D300 heavy, train up please, train up....

Weigh should really be the last thing to consider after the features are assessed. If you are on DSLR, the bulkiness of the body is already quite a turn off to say. You cannot squeeze it into your back pocket at least

D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

The size & weight would be very important if you freq bring your dslr during travels...

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Sometimes I feel so weird. Why would someone call D300 heavy ? Hold a D3 you will feel D300 also feel like a feather, of course, that makes D90 feels like a speck of dust. Kidding.....

Maybe it's just preference, that's okay. I have handled a D90 before, the feeling of lens heavy and body light is really so weird. People keep on complaining D300 heavy, train up please, train up....

Weigh should really be the last thing to consider after the features are assessed. If you are on DSLR, the bulkiness of the body is already quite a turn off to say. You cannot squeeze it into your back pocket at least

Actually, the D300 isn't that bad as I've tried my friend's one, but compared to mine it is bulky in feel. I think I'm just not ready for a D300 just yet and besides I think there will be another D90 just around the corner.

But speaking of weight and model preference, I got my D50 for the following reasons :

- I treat my camera as a tool, and it gets tussled about like one too. I don't treat it like a million dollar or wrap it up in baby diapers. Getting something expensive will probably make me worry more.

- The camera is stored in a similarly small and lightweight pouch bag which I use to carry around while holidaying, hiking, climbing, cycling you name it. Weight and durability is the key. If I had to lag around a couple of bodies, a backpack of lenses and a towel with me every time I need to take a shot then I might as well forget all that and just take pictures for a living. I would probably enjoy my holidays a lot less if I had to worry about all the stuff I would need to bring just for taking photos (I am going through that right now).

- I hate looking like a photo geek. Just the other day while taking photos at the 12 apostles, I saw 2 other guys with tripods, cokin filters you name it. I had my tripod too but didn't want to open it until people left. I guess its the "hate-to-show-off" mentality. I could tell that most of the people there probably thought we were on some secret mission.

Before I got my D50, I was looking at the D70 which must be nearly a decade old by now. That was bigger and a little heavier and had a few extra features worth having (like a lit LCD screen on the top). It was a toss up really but it was the smaller and lighter camera that won me over, especially knowing that I will eventually be buying lenses that will be on the heavy side. 1.5KG is the most I would accept for camera/lenses weight. Add in the fact that I also have to bring my notebook around at the same time, that would be about 4KGs.

So why haven't I upgraded to a D40, D60 or D80? I've heard that they were either too basic, worst in IQ performance or not worth the money compared to what I have. DSLRs, unlike mobile phones shouldn't have to be an upgrading exercise. I think most people can be satisfied with their first one until they see a real need for additional features like video, CA correction (if they have constant problems with CA) and so on.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

well go for something more pratical so that it help u more... for D90 alot of choice and the feature are quite attractive. For the price wise... erm.. no comment la... each have it own view... just work it out from ur budget then u will know.

Im looking to get a camera soon too...
    been asking around, and reckon the most important advice ppl around here have given so far is that you should go and try the cameras, trying holding them, get a feeling for them see which one fits your hands and feels the most natural.. (of course consider the requirements u need as well)

if u do decide on the D90, after trying it out, could u give a quick over view of the difference between the D60 and D90?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shmuckerz View Post
    Im looking to get a camera soon too...
    been asking around, and reckon the most important advice ppl around here have given so far is that you should go and try the cameras, trying holding them, get a feeling for them see which one fits your hands and feels the most natural.. (of course consider the requirements u need as well)

if u do decide on the D90, after trying it out, could u give a quick over view of the difference between the D60 and D90?

thanks!
    once you have a d60.. u will wana d90..
    once you have a d90.. u will next wana a d300..
    get d300.. u want to go full frame and then get d700..
    have d700.. thn want to buy d3x..
    life's like that.. got money thn can do like this.. hehe!

lol true.. we always want more.. XD
    but, as this is a hobby i believe its worth investing..
    (nd since im a student dont have income... its my parents money...)
    so wanna make the best deceision for the long run

sorry for going OT x)

TS gone missing liao...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    TS gone missing liao...
    We scared the TS away...

in my opinion, if you are a enthusiat and dont have to submit high quality pictures to yr clients, then i think D90. Furthermore you can get to play with the movie mode. The D300 is more semi-pro level and is less forgiving in terms of mistakes. Because of its resolution and sharpness, slight handshake ruins the entire pic.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

oiii... hehehe.... i am here... actually i want to upgrade from my D60 to D90??
    I want to trade in my D60 to D90 at camera store in Peninsula Plaza... BUt i still confuse whether to trade-in or not...

is there so many differences between D60 and D90 in term of the image quality?
    Actually i dont really care about the video capability of the D90...

Quote Originally Posted by indomie View Post
    oiii... hehehe.... i am here... actually i want to upgrade from my D60 to D90??
    I want to trade in my D60 to D90 at camera store in Peninsula Plaza... BUt i still confuse whether to trade-in or not...

is there so many differences between D60 and D90 in term of the image quality?
    Actually i dont really care about the video capability of the D90...
    forget the trade-in. You'll get a MUCH better price selling it here in CS.
    Alpha

Exclamation Re: Nikon D90 or D300 ??

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    in my opinion, if you are a enthusiat and dont have to submit high quality pictures to yr clients, then i think D90. Furthermore you can get to play with the movie mode. The D300 is more semi-pro level and is less forgiving in terms of mistakes. Because of its resolution and sharpness, slight handshake ruins the entire pic.
    I second that opinion bro. Well, to the thread starter, if you want a lesser headache, get the D90. If you have not so much stress now and want to stress your brain further, get the D300. I switched from D80 to D300 and the settings etc are quite different. I had a headache initially tuning my D300 to get sharp images. To be exact, I took 1 whole month figuring this out.

Think about your budget bro. However, if you think you will eventually get the D300 one day, then just go for it now. My 2 cents....

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    The size & weight would be very important if you freq bring your dslr during travels...
    i concur, having carried my D80 on treks and mountain climbs, i even feel that the D80 is heavy, much less a D300 or D3, no offence but getting a D300/D3 when your needs doesn't require such systems is simply for bragging rights

my vote goes to the D90 as its video capabilities is a major plus for my travels and i don't buy the notion that an electronic device has to be limited to 1 single purpose especially since technology advancement had proven it wrong with common-place electronics such as the all-in-one iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by xintothezonex View Post
    once you have a d60.. u will wana d90..
    once you have a d90.. u will next wana a d300..
    get d300.. u want to go full frame and then get d700..
    have d700.. thn want to buy d3x..
    life's like that.. got money thn can do like this.. hehe!
    spend that money on a trip to an exotic land! you'll take far better photos than what your next upgrade could offer! lol

Hope the BBB virus has not bitten you .....

If you really need one to upgrade go for it as per your pocket size ....

If you click 10 snaps a month and want to buy d300 or d700 or d3 well its luxury ....i donot mind that if you can afford it all depends what ur need's are and why you're looking for an upgrade .

by the way d100 is on the way

now re ur actual question d90 n d300 both are 2 very different breeds.with no 2nd thought's d300 is much superior than d90 ..all depends on teh pocket size

Cheers
    Personality can open doors, but only character can keep them open

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    i concur, having carried my D80 on treks and mountain climbs, i even feel that the D80 is heavy, much less a D300 or D3, no offence but getting a D300/D3 when your needs doesn't require such systems is simply for bragging rights
    I agree...

D90 for me.

D90.....I'm having one...so far so good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    spend that money on a trip to an exotic land! you'll take far better photos than what your next upgrade could offer! lol
    cant agree u more..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast