Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC question - CS3 on 6GB RAM, monitor recommendation

Default Re: PC question - CS3 on 6GB RAM, monitor recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    just cpu, mobo, ram, gfx card... 2.5k gone lor...
    ya... 6mths ago, i upgraded mine quad, spends about 1.4k(chip+mobo+ram+VGA+PSU)

now waiting for HDD price to go down, so that i can raid them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    I go low end GB-UDP3, 1066 ram, cheap Powercolor 4850 and the likes nia lar.... Thinking of just 2 x 500GB Caviar Black for backup/PS work. Wah lao, store wedding couples pix for > 6 months for what.

You are right, its more for games. Mid pack performance enough.

Yeah haven't factored in casing and PSU. 500W enough?
    depends on yr VGA card... the most taxing on my PSU is the graphics and maybe HDD.

used to run a 450 with current setup and OC abit no problem, but i don't dare to add in more HDD as my limited has reached about 350~380 watts of usage.

GOto antec website and check your power supply recommendation.
    They also have an estimated power usage for each devices.

I go low end GB-UDP3, 1066 ram, cheap Powercolor 4850 and the likes nia lar.... Thinking of just 2 x 500GB Caviar Black for backup/PS work. Wah lao, store wedding couples pix for > 6 months for what.
    I guess people may be surprised that even though much income comes from the pix, I don't put accuracy that high up coz ultimately it boils down to style (and actually I tend to overexpose a lot - couples like that more and it tends to bring in more $$$.....I tend to be accurate and the pix were boring....funny right?)

Giga-UDP3 with i7-920 = 774. But then one can pay much more for o/c needs I guess and the need for faster RAM. Costs would go significantly up.

You are right, its more for games. Mid pack performance enough.

no point get a lousy mobo... i'm using a Asus P6T. comes with SAS port. just in case u wanna raid SAS or use SAS as boot and the rest as Raid 5/10
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    no point get a lousy mobo... i'm using a Asus P6T. comes with SAS port. just in case u wanna raid SAS or use SAS as boot and the rest as Raid 5/10
    Ya, get a good mobo. me using gigabyte p45 DS4p

*Getting ready to sell my sigma 70-200/2.8 too*

Maybe I'll just do more homework/take a breather till April where I have more time to dabble...

I won't be playing with RAID. Have very bad memories when I was sysadmin way back in 1999/2000 with RAID 5. LOL!
    Last edited by 2100; 4th January 2009 at 06:51 PM.

I'm using a P6T too!

Best to check RAM compatibility with the qualified vendor lists. These new X58 mobos are quite sensitive to RAM timings/speeds - especially if you're thinking of overclocking

Get 2 or more hdd for multitask. Motherboard must get a reliable one. Gigabyte and intel not bad.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Does CS3 have any max memory utilisation limit? Seriously I don't think my usage/filters/actions take up that much memory and 1-2GB for PS itself would be very good....just that get 6GB once and for all settle lar....more power to the OS and cache (coz currently running on 2GB XP Pro anyway). Also wanna return to playing games.
    Photoshop CS3 is only 32bit (no 64bit version... for that you need a Windows version of Photoshop CS4), and I believe utilizes up to ~3.5GB... can't remember exactly but should be thereabouts... what you can do with excess RAM is create a RAM disk as a primary scratch...
    its not just the wattage but also the quality of the PSU that matters...

get the dell 24" lcd screen or eizo 24" (only if u want on the high-end side)

Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks View Post
    Best to check RAM compatibility with the qualified vendor lists. These new X58 mobos are quite sensitive to RAM timings/speeds - especially if you're thinking of overclocking
    Will be doing up the system with a single shop, so everything just leave it to them. Won't be overclocking....been through that route over 10 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12