Thread: Flatbed scanning...

Default Flatbed scanning...

Hi guys, need your input here...

Whenever I scan those b/w drawings using flatbeds, the white background becomes 'grey' after the scan. Meaning when I tried to print it and instead of getting a white background, it get a somewhat grey background. How do I eliminate that? Can any suggest an easy way to do it?

Thanks!

Adam... forget your PS skills liao ah? What I usually do is adjust the levels... The white dropper and black dropper tools are very useful~

Originally posted by Flare
    Adam... forget your PS skills liao ah? What I usually do is adjust the levels... The white dropper and black dropper tools are very useful~
    Elaborate leh

Any more ideas from the rest?

Ok... You scan the picture... import to photoshop... select adjust levels (u know where right), there'll be 3 dropper tools to the right of the histogram. Use the white dropper at the grey back ground which should be white... fine tune with the histogram and presto... photo quality

What scaner do you have ?
    Do you scan with the top cover open ?
    Try to add one white papper behind the scanned paper .
    Olympus C2100 X3 - E100RS - C220
    IS/L lenses ALL :-D

Originally posted by Flare
    Ok... You scan the picture... import to photoshop... select adjust levels (u know where right), there'll be 3 dropper tools to the right of the histogram. Use the white dropper at the grey back ground which should be white... fine tune with the histogram and presto... photo quality
    I'll try it; thanks Flare!

To the rest; any more ideas to share?

Default Re: Flatbed scanning...

Originally posted by AdamGoi
    Hi guys, need your input here...

Whenever I scan those b/w drawings using flatbeds, the white background becomes 'grey' after the scan. Meaning when I tried to print it and instead of getting a white background, it get a somewhat grey background. How do I eliminate that? Can any suggest an easy way to do it?

Thanks!
    Ah, let me guess what's the problem. The scanner's exposure meter is also calibrated to 18% gray. So if you scan a drawing with white background, the meter is fooled, so the background becomes white.

Press the [+/-] button on the scanner and rotate the command dial ....

ok, that's rubbish. So, after you scan, load the pic into photoshop, open Levels, click on white eyedropper, then click on what should be white. That should fix it. Alternatively, adjust the white point in the scanner software.

Regards
    CK

Thanks to all! In fact, I think I can thank you on the behalf of the teachers as I'll be sharing this trick with them!

TQ! TQ!