Thread: Upgrade Recommendation

Default Upgrade Recommendation

Hi guys, it's been quite a while since I posted here. In a bit of a pickle right now, hope you guys out there can give me a little advice.

Little background on me. Started photography back in 2004 because it was one of the subjects I took in school. Got myself a 'prosumer' Nikon 8700 because I wasn't sure if I would stay with photography.

To cut a long story short, the photography bug got me good and I've been happily snapping away since then.

Now I think it's time for an upgrade and I'm pretty much stumped. So many models!!!

My current photography needs are as such:

1) I mostly shoot static objects such as products for ads or blogs, so a camera with colors that really 'pop' right outta the cam will be good.

2) I'm also doing quite a few event coverage jobs, mainly for a church choir and their gigs. Majority of the time, the event is held indoors with dim to yellowish lighting and a damn high ceiling. So a cam that works well in low light is essential. ( I know, can use tripod to shoot, but the singer's faces are usually blurred)

3) And last but not least, I love traveling and do so a lot, so a cam that's not to heavy to bring about is also good.

So now, my problem is, do I start out at entry level Dslrs? The prices I've seen are pretty good, The ones I'm eyeing are Oly e520 with the dual lens and flash bundle for 1.3k. The other ones I've seen are Sony's Alpha a350, decent price too.

OR should I just head into a Mid-range model now and not think about upgrading anytime soon? Please recommend a few models so I can go try em out.

Oh, important, my budget is damn limited, prefer to keep it under 2k, will mostly likely pay by CC installments.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for all your help!

Planet Gaia

Default Re: Upgrade Recommendation

The Nikon 8700 is a great cam. I am still using that cam too.

Both the Olympus E520 and Sony A350 are great cams. I'm sure you have done some homework and know the difference in the sensor, crop factor & other specifications. Do go to a shop to see which is more comfortable to your hands. Do check the 'user friendliness' of the cam (eg. ease in changing the camera settings).

Hope you'll get your cam soon.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

You might want to get a canon because they can set high ISOs without much noise, good for dim conditions.
    Looking for Photographers? | My Portfolio |

jurong west

i'm using the nikon 8700 too...just recently upgaded to canon 40d

in my opinion i would highly recommended the sony alpha or the panasonic g1 because both of this camera have vari-angle lcd and its light in weight..