Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: I want to be a firefighter too..

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    571

    Default I want to be a firefighter too..

    Here is a picture where the kid took away the water mist gun from the fireman!
    His action looks like even a baby too can handle the water mist gun and he can
    also become a fireman.

    Besides any other critique for this picture, here I like to learn how can I capture the
    background sky where clouds can be seen.
    Here in this picture the sky is all whitish.
    Please advise..
    Any other comments about this picture are also welcome.
    Thanks.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,002

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    are there clouds in the first place? or it was an overcast sky? to retain details in the sky.. you can meter the sky.. and use fill flash to lift the shadows of the subject(s)..

    i shan't critique on the composition of the picture as the picture is just a snapshot to me..

  3. #3

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Try 'burning' the sky to reveal clouds

  4. #4

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    nice shot btw

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Give more space to the right since your subject is looking towards right for better composition
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  6. #6
    Member emirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gutter .....
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    hey that's cute
    IF

  7. #7

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Move to the right and get the eyes of the child.

    Include the whole of the water mist gun if possible (not sure how big that is).

    Fill the frame with the two people, the sky is uninspiring, the background also adds nothing.

  8. #8

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    In SG, we associate that uniform as SCDF = fireman. It may not apply to foreigners; so the man in blue could be a police officer. A fireman's outfit is more elaborated; and the safety hat / helmet is distinct. He was not wearing any to show that he's a fireman. IMHO, he could/should/may not even be ncessary. The kid alone is potraying his ambition, his posture could have been improved. He was looking away; I see that as being shy. Compare one with a boy firmly holding a functioning water mist gun in action.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Quote Originally Posted by ssping83 View Post
    are there clouds in the first place? or it was an overcast sky? to retain details in the sky.. you can meter the sky.. and use fill flash to lift the shadows of the subject(s)..

    i shan't critique on the composition of the picture as the picture is just a snapshot to me..
    Quote Originally Posted by nickoooooo View Post
    Try 'burning' the sky to reveal clouds
    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Give more space to the right since your subject is looking towards right for better composition
    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Move to the right and get the eyes of the child.

    Include the whole of the water mist gun if possible (not sure how big that is).

    Fill the frame with the two people, the sky is uninspiring, the background also adds nothing.
    thank you for the comments..
    hope to get more comments on this pic and for my other new post pic in the
    other threads frm you guys!
    thanks.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Quote Originally Posted by nickoooooo View Post
    nice shot btw
    Quote Originally Posted by emirates View Post
    hey that's cute
    thanks guys..
    cheers!

  11. #11

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Looks so brave man...Great shot

    There are certain personal attributes you will need to help you fulfill your role as a firefighter. These include confidence, resilience, adaptability, ability to communicate effectively, integrity and have a commitment to diversity.

    ________________________
    Become A Firefighter
    Last edited by Smith06; 17th February 2009 at 01:16 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Give more space to the right since your subject is looking towards right for better composition
    That's not universally true. It depends on what's to the right. The subject's eyeline is pointed strongly towards the right. So, if there's anything object that's boring or ugly on the right side, then it becomes the centre of attraction for the wrong reasons.

    Also, by putting the boy on the right, the viewer will try to seek balance by panning to the left, where the fireman is. That's when one notices his helpful demeanor.

    So, it would be impossible to say if giving more space to the right will improve the composition, without knowing what 's actually on the right. My guess is, there's just more cars in the carpark... which is boring. Then giving more space would reduce the quality of the picture.

  13. #13

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    IMHO, I believe this photo was took in an event organized by the SCDF, TS had the opportunity to shoot in this event and I think there is not much time for him to think so much during the event for his shoot or else every possible moment will be missed.
    Canon 450D | EFS 17-85 IS USM f/4.0-5.6
    My Flickr

  14. #14

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryray View Post
    IMHO, I believe this photo was took in an event organized by the SCDF, TS had the opportunity to shoot in this event and I think there is not much time for him to think so much during the event for his shoot or else every possible moment will be missed.
    It is true that event and journalistic photography is very tricky. There's usually a lot going on in such events, and it is very difficult to think and compose.

    However, it is not an excuse to say that because there is so much going on, the photographer will be forgiven for less-than-ideal composition. The audience is always critical.

    The ability to think on your feet and compose well comes from knowledge and experience. Personally, though I have the time to read up on the knowledge, I don't have the time to go out and gain the experience due to work and family commitments. But you will notice that good photojournalists with experience under their belt can go into any chaotic event and come out will greatly composed pictures. That is why they are highly sought after and well paid.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Hi,

    Looks like you have done a bit of post processing on the photo to get it here.

    Nice photo.

    Due to the settings you chose, it may not lend to doing much about the clouds/sky.

    Unless you do some heavy PS work, I would be happy to leave it as it is

    Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  16. #16

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    I am wondering what does " fluffy clouds and deep blue sky " is going to help in this picture ?
    If, without reading the description, one would have wonder what is that piece of equipment ? Or how many viewers will know that it's a water mist gun. As someone mention, it's a snapshot alright. Should have been shot in portrait format, cars, buildings, sky and clouds are not necessary.

  17. #17

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Your picture looks fine. After all, the important thing is that the boy and firefighter are in focus, etc.

    If you desire photos like you inquired about you need to study up on fill flash. In addition, the lens you were using and the distance focused upon would never allow the backgrouund to be in foucs.

    However, if you used a 17mm lens - figured the correct exposure for the brighter area, then figured the correct exposure for shadow, and closed down your f-stop one or two stops
    you might be able to get photo you desire. Some electronic flash will do this for you - i.e., nikon f6 with 800 flash. Even Vivitar 283 with adjusting module in place of metering module.


    good luck



    Quote Originally Posted by xintothezonex View Post
    Here is a picture where the kid took away the water mist gun from the fireman!
    His action looks like even a baby too can handle the water mist gun and he can
    also become a fireman.

    Besides any other critique for this picture, here I like to learn how can I capture the
    background sky where clouds can be seen.
    Here in this picture the sky is all whitish.
    Please advise..
    Any other comments about this picture are also welcome.
    Thanks.


  18. #18
    Member lamergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fratton Park, Portsmouth
    Posts
    1,511

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Try to cut out the fireman but enuf to let the viewers know that he is a fireman and focus on the action of the kid taking the gun since you wanted to focus on the action of taking the gun

  19. #19

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Quote Originally Posted by nickoooooo View Post
    Try 'burning' the sky to reveal clouds
    unless he's using film or S5pro, that's not likely to help. at all

    for the avg digicam, once the highlights are gone, they are gone. if got the RAW file, maybe can recover about a stop or so, though..

    one way is to underexpose a bit and boost the shadow areas. provided one shoots at low iso otherwise that would cause too much noise. or, as someone else suggested. fill flash

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: I want to be a firefighter too..

    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Hi,

    Looks like you have done a bit of post processing on the photo to get it here.

    Nice photo.

    Due to the settings you chose, it may not lend to doing much about the clouds/sky.

    Unless you do some heavy PS work, I would be happy to leave it as it is

    Cheers
    hie there.. thanks for the comment.
    Anyway the pic i did is just change the brightness and color nothing else.
    Dont really know how to edit more. Quite suck bout post processing.
    Thanks again.
    Got more tips and advice on how to use fill flash.
    Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •