Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full frame vs DX (cropped) trend

Default Re: Full frame vs DX (cropped) trend

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    but the debate can help me analyse whether to invest in FF compatible lenses
    No need to debate. Just get wat you need for the budget you have.

If you have more money, then get the FX lenses such as 17-35. If you are limited and need wide, then go for 12-24.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    can the size still be as slim and compact??
    Well you never know... since their is already SIGMA DP1... just need to make it smaller with a zoom lens...

I'd say even full frame LENS not body, will obsolete (more accurately discontinue)... at least depreciate significantly.

All things lose value, even if you invest in FF lenses now doesn't mean you won't upgrade them... if they're too long for your uses now, it'd be worse.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

I think would be best to buy when you need it...

For all pns to have APS-C sensor, could be a reality sometime soon. I mean DP-1 has already done that. However, will these cameras still be compact? APS-C is big, meaning the pns camera has to be bigger to house the sensor.

DP-1 seems compact because it uses a prime lens, not zoom lens. I'm sure people still want compact cameras.

I believe the hype about using FX with your old FF lenses is slightly overrated. People have tested using D3 and their old lenses, and the performance is sometimes worse than with DX. So if you want FX with good performance, you need those newly-produced FF lenses, which are still too expensive la.
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    For all pns to have APS-C sensor, could be a reality sometime soon. I mean DP-1 has already done that. However, will these cameras still be compact? APS-C is big, meaning the pns camera has to be bigger to house the sensor.

DP-1 seems compact because it uses a prime lens, not zoom lens. I'm sure people still want compact cameras.

I believe the hype about using FX with your old FF lenses is slightly overrated. People have tested using D3 and their old lenses, and the performance is sometimes worse than with DX. So if you want FX with good performance, you need those newly-produced FF lenses, which are still too expensive la.
    But having old cheap FF lenses which were made for film does very well on a DX crop camera.

This is the main reason why I like it... I dun get any of the corner issues...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

even if u're on crop body my advise is to go for FF compatible lenses. you'll not get the visible vignetting as on some of the crop factor lenses
    My flickr! Album - Sony a6000 (CZ 24-70) / CZ 85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/montoyasg/

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    But having old cheap FF lenses which were made for film does very well on a DX crop camera.

This is the main reason why I like it... I dun get any of the corner issues...
    Yup that's the best thing about DX. Avoid the bad stuffs at the corners i.e. corner blur, corner CA, vignetting... And get the sharp centre in frame. Sweet!

I doubt somebody would want to use the cheap old FF lenses on D3x/D3/D700.
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post

I doubt somebody would want to use the cheap old FF lenses on D3x/D3/D700.
    Many old (not necessarily cheap) film lenses do not do justice to the resolution of even D3/D700.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Many old (not necessarily cheap) film lenses do not do justice to the resolution of even D3/D700.
    Not that bad bah.... I use the 24-85 AFD 2.8-4, that's for the 35mm SLR isn't it ? Pretty old isn't it ? Not bad too The freaking 50mm is also damn old. Of course unless you are referring to AIS ? Woooo that's old, never used any so far.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Not that bad bah.... I use the 24-85 AFD 2.8-4, that's for the 35mm SLR isn't it ? Pretty old isn't it ? Not bad too The freaking 50mm is also damn old. Of course unless you are referring to AIS ? Woooo that's old, never used any so far.
    The 24-85/2.8-4 is not that bad. Just that I get better shots with 17-55/2.8 on DX. That's why I say many film lenses do not do justice to D3/D700. Never say that they are unuseable.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th January 2009 at 03:27 PM.

The 24-85/2.8-4 is not that bad. Just that I get better shots with 17-55/2.8 on DX. That's why I say many film lenses do not do justice to D3/D700. Never say that they are unuseable.
    Well maybe you have high expectation In any case, I don't use it for serious work, just a nice and light medium zoom for walking around. Also good to function as an acceptable macro lens. But I must say the colour rendition seems pretty good, warm feeling

Any serious work I will just break my back with the 24-70 f2.8 of course

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Well maybe you have high expectation In any case, I don't use it for serious work, just a nice and light medium zoom for walking around. Also good to function as an acceptable macro lens. But I must say the colour rendition seems pretty good, warm feeling

Any serious work I will just break my back with the 24-70 f2.8 of course
    Well, after paying good money for FX body, of course I have high expectations! Otherwise, sticking with DX is a cheaper option. You should see my disappointment with many of the film lenses my dad collected over the years since F3.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 8th January 2009 at 05:38 PM.

Well, after paying good money for FX body, of course I have high expectations! Otherwise, sticking with DX is a cheaper option. You should see my disappointment with many of the film lenses my dad collected over the years since F3.
    Okay sure Perhaps it's different for me

Despite all these debates etc...those on DX will want to move on to FF if given the chance....it's a matter or when......Why? FX is the only thing that manufacturers can set their high-end and mainstream line up apart now.....of coz with more budget poured into the high end range...early adopters get to enjoy the benefits of technology advancement

So, if you are budget constraint or do not intent to invest heavily in photography as hobby...there is nothing wrong by sticking to DX....you still take nice pictures and relatively noise free images.....you can also shoot as wide and as far(in fact further with crop) with the right DX lenses available today....However if you have deep pocket or live by photography.....there is a high probability that you are already jumped onto the bandwagon to enjoy the best the first hand.

But if your are on budget constraint but itching on trying out new thing..."like my self", then it's important that you have a purchase plan and draw a time horizon....I do not own many lenses to begin with, and I started buying my first FF lens(pro lens to be exact) when I felt my kit lens no longer satisfied my expectation....it was a very expensive investment(expense rather), more expensive than my cam body but it worth every penny because I took so many valuable images with it, eating grass right after that is inevitable.....then I purchase my next FF lens again many months later and I gone through the same eating grass life cycle.....and until today, I finally can afford my first FF body and straight away my collection of lenses rediscovered their purposes....It should keep me busy for the next few months as there are plenty more new things for me to discover.....all these joy and excitement experiences are really indescribable and to me it's priceless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12