Thread: 5D4N HK + Bangkok for $538. Good deal?

Default 5D4N HK + Bangkok for $538. Good deal?

Here's what I've gathered so far:

Airline: Thai Airways

2 Nights stay at Hongkong
    - Hotel: Dorsett Seaview
    - Includes: Hotel Transfer, Half Day City Tour
    - No Breakfast
    - Extension per room per night: $100

2 Nights stay at Bangkok
    - Hotel: Bangkok Palace
    - Breakfast Included

Plane flies to HK via BKK (on transit). For example, plane leaves SG for BKK by 8am. You'll be in transit to HK by 10.20am, ETA: 2.20pm. Total time from SG - HK: 6 hours 20 Minutes

I'm planning to take my wife and daughter on this tour on the 2nd week of December. Thinking of extending the stay at HK for 2 more nights to cover lots of things in HK as much as possible. As for BKK, I guess 2 nights is more than enough.

Anyway, do you think the above is a good deal? Would appreciate to hear advises from people who've been to HK and BKK (itinerary, places to visit, eat etc). Feedbacks from those who've stayed at the above hotels would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

:Later,

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy
    Here's what I've gathered so far:

Airline: Thai Airways

2 Nights stay at Hongkong
    - Hotel: Dorsett Seaview
    - No Breakfast
    - Extension per room per night: $100

2 Nights stay at Bangkok
    - Hotel: Bangkok Palace
    - Breakfast Included

Plane flies to HK via BKK (on transit). For example, plane leaves SG for BKK by 8am. You'll be in transit to HK by 10.20am, ETA: 2.20pm. Total time from SG - HK: 6 hours 20 Minutes

I'm planning to take my wife and daughter on this tour on the 2nd week of December. Thinking of extending the stay at HK for 2 more nights to cover lots of things in HK as much as possible. As for BKK, I guess 2 nights is more than enough.

Anyway, do you think the above is a good deal? Would appreciate to hear advises from people who've been to HK and BKK (itinerary, places to visit, eat etc). Feedbacks from those who've stayed at the above hotels would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

Price wise looks OK. HK is quite expensive, so if you factor the airline ticket and the hotel, the price looks OK.

Dunno what is your focus in the travels ( photography or relaxation or shopping ), but 2 nights for both places seems quite rushed.

HK has enough sights to keep you occupied for at least 4 days. Victoria Peak, Ocean Park, lots of malls and pasar malams, temples ( which is more lively than ours ), Giant Buddha ( forgot the name ), etc. Pick up a Lonely Planet guide and plan your trip from there. Take a day trip to Macau and Shenzhen too.

BKK has plenty of Wats (temples), if that's your thing. Grand Palace, Wat Phra Keow, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, etc etc etc. Loads of them. Good photo ops there, although your wife and kid may get bored after seeing more than 2 wats. Take a ferry ride ( public one is dirt cheap, something like 20-50 cents for the entire length of Chao Phraya river ). Visit Jim Thompson's house, Vivamek Mansion, the royal barges, watch a Muay Thai ( Thai Boxing ) match ( expensive for foreigners : 800 - 1200 Baht ). Don't recommend bringing your daughter as it is noisy, voilent, and rowdy. If your wife will allow you, visit a gogo bar at night ( at Nana Plaza and Patpong ) for more naked dancing women than you will ever see again in your life :-) Makes bar top dancers look like a bunch of nuns. No photos allowed, but it's an experience of a lifetime. :-)

I spent 7 days in Bangkok, and enjoyed it, visiting 2-3 places per day. Friendly people, great service, cheap food and accomodation. Lots of con men ( be careful about strangers approaching you and offering you big discounts on tuktuk rides due to religious holiday, government subsidy, etc.They are all scams ! ), pollution and traffic jams though. When approached by strangers, never say that this is your first trip to Bangkok. Say you've been there before, and you've already been there several days. Another scam is when they tell you that place of interest you are going to is closed. They will tell you this and then recommend you go to some other place. Then, conveniently, a tut tuk ( a 3 wheeler vehicle ) will appear and take you there. This is another scam. In all cases, their aim is to get you onto a tuk tuk, which will bring you to some other place and pressure you to buy expensive overpriced items. So never accept rides from strangers even if they tell you they are teachers, students, and other respected occupations.

Tip : when you reach the hotel, ask the staff to help you write down the Thai names of places you want to visit. Show them to the taxi driver or passer-bys when you are looking for the place. Most Thais don't speak English, so this is an easier way to tell them where you want to go. Again, look at a good guide book before deciding on how many days you want to spend there. It's really cheap anyway, so it's better to stay too long than too short. A decent mid sized hotel ( 100-200 rooms) is as low as S$50 a nite, while a really small home-style hotel (< 30 rooms) is as low as $20 per night. You can get good hotel deals on the Internet.
    Last edited by chriszzz; 21st September 2003 at 02:59 AM.

Hi chriszzz,

Thanks a lot for the info and suggestions!

I actually wanted to just take my family to HK (after realizing that South Korea Winter Packages -- even those advertised at NATAS -- are actually priced at above $1K) but thought that a side-trip to BKK would be great. Focus-wise, just the usual sightseeing with (hopefully) just a bit of shopping ( can ladies live without it? ). I expect to do quite a bit of snapping photos, but not to the extent of errr... spoiling the fun.

Thanks again.

a return singapore airlines ticket to hk (3 hours) will cost 450 each already (must buy 3 to get this price)

Quote Originally Posted by Helbreath
    a return singapore airlines ticket to hk (3 hours) will cost 450 each already (must buy 3 to get this price)
    It's a good deal then, albeit one has to be on air longer to reach HK.

2 nites kinda short leh

i will extend at least 1-2 nites

Dorsett Seaview

a small hotel, the tv above the bed. very small.....the bed fits the whole room.

but then i feel clean and ok , anyway most of time not there.

ohya, normal room no seaview........might not even have window.

i not sure if the same goes for urs, but i been there on last christmas^^
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    2 nites kinda short leh

i will extend at least 1-2 nites
    Yeah. I will be opting for a 2 nights extension at HK. So that would be 5D4N... hope more than enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by digi~ET
    Dorsett Seaview

a small hotel, the tv above the bed. very small.....the bed fits the whole room.

but then i feel clean and ok , anyway most of time not there.

ohya, normal room no seaview........might not even have window.

i not sure if the same goes for urs, but i been there on last christmas^^
    Yeah.. that's what I read at asia-hotels.com.hk too. But based on our past travel experience, we return home to the hotel mainly to sleep. So I guess should be okay.

BTW, to those who might be interested in this offer, I've called the travel agent and was told that Hotel Accomodation can be changed if required (with top up)

i've been to BKK and HK twice.

If u are looking for shopping, BKK is the place. items in HK are priced abt the same as Spore. but for BKK, it's a shopping heaven!! if u happened to visit BKK over the weekend, go to Catuchak (weekend market).. something like that.. it's located at the last stop of their MRT.

HK is very similar to singapore in many senses.. just go to the lib and borrow one of those travel guide.. go to the places they suggested and that's abt all.. but if time permits, i recommend would Macau rather than ShenZhen. It was once ruled by Portugal and the building there still has the look.. very nice..
    oh yah, talk abt HK.. of cos!! it's a food heaven!! but that's provided u know how to appreciate chinese food

As for the hotel, i'm not sure abt the one u mentioned. but i prefer prudential in HK. the room is not very big but spacious enough to walk! some hotels in HK has really small room!!

having said all these, i would not recommend u for a trip to HK in dec cos it's going to be cold and wet! outdoor activities might be limited due to the weather.. and the fav night market might be affected by the weather too.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea
    but if time permits, i recommend would Macau rather than ShenZhen. It was once ruled by Portugal and the building there still has the look.. very nice..
    Heh, we're trying to contact a friend in HK who might be able to take us to Macau for a 1 day trip. As for Shenzhen, heard that there really isn't much to do there so we're skipping it.

having said all these, i would not recommend u for a trip to HK in dec cos it's going to be cold and wet! outdoor activities might be limited due to the weather.. and the fav night market might be affected by the weather too.
    I'm afraid we'll have to try our luck then coz December is the nearest -- and quite long at that -- school holiday. Besides, I'd somehow like to see how HK looks like during the Yuletide season (same for Macau).

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Pinoy; 22nd September 2003 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy
    Heh, we're trying to contact a friend in HK who might be able to take us to Macau for a 1 day trip. As for Shenzhen, heard that there really isn't much to do there so we're skipping it.

I'm afraid we'll have to try our luck then coz December is the nearest -- and quite long at that -- school holiday. Besides, I'd somehow like to see how HK looks like during the Yuletide season (same for Macau).

Thanks a lot!

if got time.......go the off shore island ...hahah...nothing much but see the life of the people there..., so simple^^
    the ambulance and car all so cute^^ feel so relaxed there!

btw...the island i mention is "chang zhou" .....but careful..there is a haunted house^^hahaha...
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

To those who have asked and are interested, the travel agent is Gunungraya. You can call Sai Chin (very helpful and accomodating lady, I must say) @ 62617811.