Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDR lovers, what is your views?

Default Re: HDR lovers, what is your views?

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I don't love/hate a photo just because its done the HDR way, but simply because it looks nice/not nice.

Perhaps the problem is that for every well done HDR, there are many others who have jumped onto the idea and overdid it.

Of course, the idea of "well done" and "overdone" is subjective, but we would be kidding ourselves if we feel that photography is anything but subjective.

This argument can be extended to arguments like film vs digital, post processing vs no processing. I'm for all styles, so long as it looks good.
    Right, it will be so anal if one would condemn any style totally. Talk about fake? Human eyes can see infared lights?

Updated the toxic HRD code to include colour.

Original image

Tone-mapped image

Update: Trying to make tone reversals more subtle, tone map at full strength.

Update: Adjusting parameters to get realistic image.
    Last edited by ArchRival; 6th January 2009 at 09:02 PM.

Tone mapped on single image, original at left, tone mapped at right.
    This is the interior of a mosque at Khan al Khalili in Egypt.

There are undoubtly scenes where the dynamic range is simply too wide to be captured. But the adoption should be to enhance a good composition that is otherwise DR limited. Manual HDR techniques have been concieved and developed since 1930s. Everyone appreciates a wider dynamic range for the occassion. But, contrast and a low dynamic range can be beautiful and artistic and has been used creatively for yrs.

The irony of course being that HDR was supposed to be a tool to achieve what our eyes naturally percieves, is more often than not extremely enthusiastically overused, producing a flood of non realistic tonal range / overcontrasty / undercontrasty / reversed tone etc than to settle for something more balanced. The bad ones are .. bad. The ones that attempts to over surrealise things starts to look like a 3D rendering art work / realistic looking cartoon / graphics by a 3D program. ( Of course subjective. Some opine that thats what they want to achieve anyway. Peace out for those who loves the look. And peace out to people who hates that look ).

Do not use it as a novelty but to use it as an applied solution for a good composition that will do well with it.

Meanwhile enjoy shooting and keep it fun as it should be.

Ryan

To be honest, I'm not really into any of the HDRs that I've seen here so far, but I've seen some good ones here :

http://abduzeedo.com/20-beautiful-hdr-pictures

Seriously the PS talents out there is astounding.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Right, it will be so anal if one would condemn any style totally. Talk about fake? Human eyes can see infared lights?
    the problem lies with the conceptualisation

i have seen hdr , and i have seen hdr

there is unnatural hdr that is executed with a certain end result in mind

there is also unnatural hdr that is mashed into existence by a headless chicken approach

i am certain that leonardo da vinci, picasso, all the great masters took the first approach rather than the second. photography has a lot to do with vision. and there is no such thing as an accidental vision in art, at least not in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post

OT, i like the above but found another very similar non-HDR press photograph.

REUTERS/Arko Datta

An Indian Muslim reacts during a Muharram procession to mark Ashura in Mumbai January 8, 2009.

To be honest, I'm not really into any of the HDRs that I've seen here so far, but I've seen some good ones here :

NICE!!!! The HDR has a certain creative style and colour accent. I am not surprise in time to come there will be a market and creative segment that is dedicate or catered to it. Commercially and as an art form.

huh? what is a natural looking hdr?
    find me on |flickr|?

These are nice...it has both natural and artsy types. Nice.

PS - the 4th one has the Dragonised feel.

Last edited by lastboltnut; 10th January 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12