Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: K20D...any users care to give realtime opinions?

Default Re: K20D...any users care to give realtime opinions?

all were taken using Auto WB. will check out WB settings tmw...

rather then a simple get together, i am thinking maybe a experienced K20D user can organise a QnA session on sharing K20D knowledge as well as CnC session of pics.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

still have to work on the white balance and the how the metering of the k20d works but almost there,

color

contrast

sharpness

does anyone know how to use the lcd tuning feature of the k20d?

tried out handheld shutter priority on birds...using 28-105mm f4-f5.6

took 20 plus shots and only the 5 you see below are closest to being in focus. If using tripod need to off the anti shake, how about monopod?

all photos are straight out of camera on Bright setting and only cropped.

exif data is intact. any advice to improve is appreciated.

my dear friend... all the shots are 1/30 or below...

anti shake is to counter handshake, not motion... the birds is moving, u need faster shutter to capture them... anti shake does nothing...

shoot at higher shutter... 1/100 at least...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

+1 on what flowerpot said...
    Use a higher ISO to allow a higher shutter speed to freeze subject motion and reduce handshake. You don't have to shoot at ISO 100...

i am curious why you use shutter priority there actually.

i would use aperture priority.

btw, go lower, then you might get a nicer background, i.e. the sky, rather than birds on grass. the depth of field will also look more shallow due to subject/background distance.

perspective is yours to decide, make full use of it.

played with the Burst Shooting and continuous shooting...odd that only Continuous shooting (Low) can take pictures till the memory card fills up but the other modes were capped (i wonder if anyone has a custom firmware that fixes this?). Burst shooting was really scary, before i knew it 300+ photos were taken before the buffer stopped to transfer to memory card.

practiced at Sentosa Flower 2009.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467686

24-105mm is pretty good, did not even get to much utilize the telephoto and wide angle lenses i brought. its like 95% of the time 24-105mm is just nice.

opinions?

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5

I am thinking the 17-70mm is the more value for money for everyday lens. can replace the 18-55 and 24-105 to go back to 2 lens system. an 18-100-ish F/2.8 would be nice if there was one.

hmm, bluish outlines..only happens on sunny days and if crop aggressively.
    Last edited by Reportage; 28th January 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    opinions?

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
    depends on your purpose.

28-75 is a very nice range for street, and the f/2.8 will help in isolation. the 17-70 will give you more coverage at the wider end, if you might need it.

both are good lenses though.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    depends on your purpose.

28-75 is a very nice range for street, and the f/2.8 will help in isolation. the 17-70 will give you more coverage at the wider end, if you might need it.

both are good lenses though.
    Just what i was thinking.

found an interesting effect, it appears P-TTL works with the Sigma 530 DG ST flash only that the flash zoom head will be automatically set only if using Sigma or Pentax lenses else will be set at default....no wonder been getting strange results using the sigma flash with tamron lenses. Basically i am limited to using either full power or 1/16th if using tamron lenses.

also it seems the K20D AWB doesnt seem as smart as Canon`s. more accurate to set white balance manually for jpg or take Raw.
    Last edited by Reportage; 29th January 2009 at 03:59 AM.

found an interesting effect, it appears P-TTL works with the Sigma 530 DG ST flash only that the flash zoom head will be automatically set only if using Sigma or Pentax lenses else will be set at default....no wonder been getting strange results using the sigma flash with tamron lenses. Basically i am limited to using either full power or 1/16th if using tamron lenses.

also it seems the K20D AWB doesnt seem as smart as Canon`s. more accurate to set white balance manually for jpg or take Raw.
    That's strange, I didn't have a problem with PTTL when I was using my Sigma 530 Super and Tamron 90mm on the K100D. Could it be some sort of compatibility issue with the K20D? I'll try Sigma 530 Super, Tamron 90mm on the K20D when I have the chance and see if I face what you described.

hmm, bluish outlines..only happens on sunny days and if crop aggressively.
    That's probably chromatic aberration. Quite normal in scenes with high contrast edges. It should be minimal when using a good lens, but you probably can't be 100% free of it.

another box arrived today.

guess my system is now fully operational.

Doesn't one just love it when those brown boxes appear at home suddenly

Wow, BIG Box, what's in it?

this and that..

anyway took the camera for its first event which is the SOYA 2009. found a couple of issues and quirks with the K20D that might faze a newcomer.

1) dont trust the AWB if there is a mix of fluorescent, ambient especially if the stage is using ambient light. Starting to feel its more of a hindrance. Only use AWB if shooting Raw.

2) The autofocus and tracking seems kind of slow even at 1/4000 shutter speed for an average lens. should be better with f/2.8 lens and SDM. Also i find it faster to use manual focusing if a lot of things are going on.

3) Whitewash is very easy with the K20D. By default it underexposes yet if increase exposure the subject may look okay but background sky is practically white. even more if using ISO rather then flash. I am thinking rather then a UV filter, it needs a GND filter to be always on for day shoots especially in presence of strong light if looking for decent sky.

4) The 1.6mb limited burst mode is damn useful to catch what the 3fps 14mp mode is too slow to catch just that of course should have developed an autofocus that could keep up. Even AFS.S had problems but of course quality of lens does play a part also.

5) there is definitely a huge difference between fine sharpening and normal sharpening if enlarge or crop aggressively.

6) also found out why the lcd preview gives weird pictures that doesnt match the histogram or actual output, for some reason it just doesnt work for adobe RGB but the colors work better on sRGB mode. Mine theory is that its because of the lcd used. Another point to use Raw rather then jpeg for important shots.

above are basically the major points i found so far that is irritating for an event like SOYA 2009. The Pentax K20D is like a film SLR which just has digital tech + live view bolted on like an after thought. It does have character though since more or less i now know what will work, what would not work and what would be horrible. Have a few more events lined up for Feb and Mar to test the camera even further. Mostly used P, Tv to capture all the movement that is going on, Av for when things were slower.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470492
    Last edited by Reportage; 1st February 2009 at 08:17 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast