Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Development of the images into photographs

Default Re: Development of the images into photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Raincheque View Post
    I do understand how the customs WB works. But sometimes the subject doesnt wait for me to find a white wall, shoot, customise the WB and then return for the shot.
    Hope you enjoyed your wedding dinner
    Usually, WB adjustment in camera is done per shooting, not per picture (exceptions exist). So it's part of the shoot preparations like selecting the right lens, ISO speed etc.
    Usually I do it in the beginning and at light around the main subject. For the last Malay wedding I attended I did the WB settings according the light at / around the stage where most of the pictures will be taken with the couple.
    You'll never get the WB 100% accurate for each shot but you can get a good average setting that only needs minimal additional adjustments later.

Hi Octarine,

Noted the pt on WB setting once per setting. But impossible to get it right EVERY time. *perfectionistic streak..

I was chking out a few photo labs in my area & 1 kind aunt @ the whampoa mkt pointed out my shot were bad to begin with! *shocked!!

Anyway, will bring my cam to her & seek her opinions. Her initial diagnosis is lack of flash.

Damage: 30c per 4R piece.

RC
    ~40D~18-250mm /3.5, 50mm /1.8, 10-22mm /3.5, 16-35mm /2.8L, 70-200mm /2.8L 2.0x extender, 580EX mkII

Why do you want to show her your cam? For what? Her diagnosis should make you think .. one glance and she got it spot on.
    Read about exposure and see what you can do within your target of "no flash". For any camera settings read your manual. Time for homework now that you have a lot of pictures and you see the shortfalls.

Yes Octarine,

alot of pics, alot of work to do..
    ~40D~18-250mm /3.5, 50mm /1.8, 10-22mm /3.5, 16-35mm /2.8L, 70-200mm /2.8L 2.0x extender, 580EX mkII

the pictures turn out much better, though a tad grainy, guess they up the exposure to brighten up the pictures..

will read thru the articles.. and getting a 580 soon........................

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Why do you want to show her your cam? For what? Her diagnosis should make you think .. one glance and she got it spot on.
    Read about exposure and see what you can do within your target of "no flash". For any camera settings read your manual. Time for homework now that you have a lot of pictures and you see the shortfalls.

the pictures turn out much better, though a tad grainy, guess they up the exposure to brighten up the pictures.
    Care to share one or two pics with intact EXIF data? Grainy could be from increased ISO which means you must do some noise reduction in post-processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I am sure you don't send the RAW file for printing right? You can use Infranview to resize your JPEG image ... a max of 800 x 600 image size should be enough....
    I might add that 800 x 600 is too small for a 4R print, and it is the wrong aspect ratio. You'll get an okay result, but definitely not optimal size. You'd usually send something like 1800 x 1200.

Hi Octarine,

I went back to the shop again, this time with BIGGER files, I saved them under 10/10 quality.

What do you mean by 'intact EXIF data'?

As for post-processing, I merely do my usual exposure/contrast/colour adjustment, plus the odd horizontal balancing and cropping.

Point to note(which I think MAY be the problem):
    The quality to save, I set it to 3/10. Thus resulting in the 100+ Kb. (The photolab guy insisted that it does not matter, but verdict soon)

The DPI, I set it to 350DPI, which I think is sufficient.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Care to share one or two pics with intact EXIF data? Grainy could be from increased ISO which means you must do some noise reduction in post-processing.

Hi Calebk,

my files are in excess of 1600 x 1200, which I found out from some websites that is the optimal pixel size for 4R.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I might add that 800 x 600 is too small for a 4R print, and it is the wrong aspect ratio. You'll get an okay result, but definitely not optimal size. You'd usually send something like 1800 x 1200.

Point to note(which I think MAY be the problem):
    The quality to save, I set it to 3/10. Thus resulting in the 100+ Kb. (The photolab guy insisted that it does not matter, but verdict soon)
    The DPI, I set it to 350DPI, which I think is sufficient.
    Change the lab please. People making such statements show a serious lack of knowledge. Your quality setting defines the compression ratio for the jpg compression. The more you compress the more detail information are lost - irretrievable! Lost information will affect your print result, what is lost due to your compression cannot be printed properly.
    Try for yourself: save a file in 3/10 and in 10/10 (always open from original). Check both at 100% magnification. The difference is clear.

Regarding size for printing: Just do a bit of maths. If you use 350DPI then you'll need 1400x2100 for 4R (4x6inch). 300dpi is recommended for quality prints.

EXIF data are data stored into your image files by the camera. It's an international standard and all camera manufacturers follow that. Apart from camera maker and type there are plenty of information stored about your camera settings: aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed, focal length of the lens and many other settings more. All good image viewers are able to show these data, Photoshop as well.
    These data can either be stripped off or kept in the image during processing. Check the settings of your image editor about EXIF data, sometimes also called Metadata. Please keep them for all images you want to post here asking for help. Without them we could only do guessing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12