Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Saving digital images

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenary East
    Posts
    91

    Default Saving digital images

    Hi all,

    Can anyone pls clarify what is the acceptable image size to be saved for a 4R size pix?

    Will my pix be affected if the original size 1600 x 1200, and then i resize it to 2550 x 1820?

    Lastly, is it advisable to save an image as a TIFF format prior sending it for printing?


    Muchas gracias

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikaMatin
    Hi all,

    Can anyone pls clarify what is the acceptable image size to be saved for a 4R size pix?

    Will my pix be affected if the original size 1600 x 1200, and then i resize it to 2550 x 1820?

    Lastly, is it advisable to save an image as a TIFF format prior sending it for printing?


    Muchas gracias

    4R? 1600 x 1200 should be good. Just that unless the shop provides 4:3 ratio printouts, you might need to crop it to 3:2 ratio, that's about 1600 x 1066, else the shop will crop for you. You don't have to resize it to 2550 x 1820.

    If I'm not mistaken, most shop will charge extras for TIFF format. Some might not even accept it.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenary East
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Togu,

    Muchas gracias for the enlightenment. I'm kinda new to saving files for digital formats so tt's y i ask such question.

    Hope my pix will turn out nice once it's being edited in PS and then sent for printing

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by togu
    4R? 1600 x 1200 should be good. Just that unless the shop provides 4:3 ratio printouts, you might need to crop it to 3:2 ratio, that's about 1600 x 1066, else the shop will crop for you. You don't have to resize it to 2550 x 1820.

    If I'm not mistaken, most shop will charge extras for TIFF format. Some might not even accept it.

    what's wrong with TIFF?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikaMatin
    Togu,

    Muchas gracias for the enlightenment. I'm kinda new to saving files for digital formats so tt's y i ask such question.

    Hope my pix will turn out nice once it's being edited in PS and then sent for printing

    No problem,

    If possible , post the photos too.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by defn
    what's wrong with TIFF?
    Er... not too sure about that tho.

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by defn
    what's wrong with TIFF?
    Nothing wrong with TIFF files.

    Its just they are too big for almost all the labs to handle without impacting on their service. Fuji Frontiers, Kodaks n Noritsus, Konica and Agfa labs ALL can handle TIFF files. Its just the nuisance of opening those files taking up so much longer a time that it prevents their machines from printing other customers' jobs.

    So it makes business sense, they have every right to charge more (make up for the opportunity cost) or to reject those jobs outright (too severe an impact on their ops).

    When I say "their service", I am referring to their business workflow. Not their computer system's services. For the good busy labs, this will be a severe crimp on their service as they will be forced to spend longer time on the TIFF customer's print job. Hence it is actually kind of unfair to send TIFF files to them.

    Finally, at 4R, TIFF files are a plain waste of storage and time. You are not going to see any difference.
    Last edited by Azure; 29th September 2003 at 06:58 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    4R tiffs files are like 5mb on average and shouldn't impact any services.

    Also do save your images in 300 dpi at 4R sizes. That will ensure you get a better quality (of course your original image should be of high resolution).
    Some machines will have moire patterns printed if you give them at other dpi.

    I'm not sure if the lab have to do a double job to convert it or the machine does it. I know Fuji Frontier machines print at 300dpi.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •