Thread: Recommend Books On Workflow

Default Recommend Books On Workflow

Hi,

I need some recommendations for books on special work flows for desired results on Lightroom 2 or CS3/4.

Am very newbie in photoshop, so would really appreciate your advices on books that are easy to follow.

Thanks.

Default Re: Recommend Books On Workflow

Hi!

For Lightroom 2, I recommend

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book:
    The Complete Guide for Photographers by Martin Evening

Alternatively, for Adobe products, the following website is really effective.

http://www.lynda.com/cs4u/

They teach you how to operate various software via Quicktime Movies. It is like having your own personal tuition teacher show you how to operate your software. The important thing is that they show you where to click with your mouse button, something which no book can do.

There is a free Lightroom Workflow video [Lightroom overview ] at

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=539

On a side note, I discovered this website by a roundabout way. I was looking for a software training website for Adobe Acrobat 9. I was so impressed by the videos at Lynda.com that I decided to try out their other training videos (e.g. lightroom and photoshop) too.

Cheers!
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

In my opinion, one if the best books to start off with is Tim Grey book on Workflow.

Photoshop CS3 Workflow for Digital Photographers' Guide by Tim Grey. I think his updated CS4 edition is also available now.

Here's more about Tim Grey: http://www.timgrey.com/books/index.htm

For CS3, there are many copies in the public library, so no need to buy. It's a good book for laying a sound foundation. I bought the CS2 version while I was using CS1, and will be borrowing the CS3 version from the National Library when I start using CS3 soon.

One good thing about using software one version 'older' is that there are plenty of books available in the library, no need to compete with other borrowers, and no need to buy.

For Lightroom 2, I'd recommend "Photoshop Lightroom 2 for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby. Very easy to read due to his style, a bit like story-telling, with screenshots of each step. Covers workflow pretty well from importing raw files, to developing, to editing, to slideshow and printing. And he even includes examples of how he works in real life at the end (for landscape, wedding, etc).

I managed to borrow it from the library, was lucky 'cos I think it's actually quite popular and frequently on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    Hi!

For Lightroom 2, I recommend

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book:
    The Complete Guide for Photographers by Martin Evening

Alternatively, for Adobe products, the following website is really effective.

http://www.lynda.com/cs4u/

They teach you how to operate various software via Quicktime Movies. It is like having your own personal tuition teacher show you how to operate your software. The important thing is that they show you where to click with your mouse button, something which no book can do.

There is a free Lightroom Workflow video [Lightroom overview ] at

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=539

On a side note, I discovered this website by a roundabout way. I was looking for a software training website for Adobe Acrobat 9. I was so impressed by the videos at Lynda.com that I decided to try out their other training videos (e.g. lightroom and photoshop) too.

Cheers!
    Hi, thanks a lot for your recommendations. I went straight to Funan to get this book and has since been reading it. The shop owner recommended this too. Its kind of general though but it really does explain everything.

I will now look into the video website. Thanks so much.

Do you also know of any books whereby they try to show you the steps into getting a special effect? (For example like soft focus effect etc.)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by humbee View Post
    In my opinion, one if the best books to start off with is Tim Grey book on Workflow.

Photoshop CS3 Workflow for Digital Photographers' Guide by Tim Grey. I think his updated CS4 edition is also available now.

Here's more about Tim Grey: http://www.timgrey.com/books/index.htm

For CS3, there are many copies in the public library, so no need to buy. It's a good book for laying a sound foundation. I bought the CS2 version while I was using CS1, and will be borrowing the CS3 version from the National Library when I start using CS3 soon.

One good thing about using software one version 'older' is that there are plenty of books available in the library, no need to compete with other borrowers, and no need to buy.
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for the link. I would make a trip down to the library soon. You are right on the part about using a version later. I heard that there are improvements and changes on CS4 but for a newbie like me, maybe i might not even use it, and soon there will be CS5.

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    For Lightroom 2, I'd recommend "Photoshop Lightroom 2 for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby. Very easy to read due to his style, a bit like story-telling, with screenshots of each step. Covers workflow pretty well from importing raw files, to developing, to editing, to slideshow and printing. And he even includes examples of how he works in real life at the end (for landscape, wedding, etc).

I managed to borrow it from the library, was lucky 'cos I think it's actually quite popular and frequently on loan.
    Hey, thanks for your recommendation. I remember using his CS2 book on workflow too. Haha, think its a must-buy! Was wondering is it more pratical to buy his workflow book on CS3 rather than Lightroom 2?