Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: mp3 player?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default mp3 player?

    Hello all,

    I am thinking of getting a mp3 player. Budget: $150 ~ $200. I am thinking of either the Sandisk Sansa range or the Creative Zen X-Fi. However, I am still open to other recommendations.

    I don't intend to view mp4s on the player, but if it does have the function, I would not mind.

    Thanks in advance for replies/suggestions.

  2. #2
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    ipod lor or Sony?

  3. #3

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    I like my Sandisk Clip.
    Compact and does what I need it to - play music!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  4. #4

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    The Sanza got some greeat reviews. Expandable memory too.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    you could try the sonys.
    I have one and really like it. Dropped it once or twice, no problem so far.
    The sounds nice too. much better than my Hp's
    but firstly, what is the size of the mp3 player that you are aiming for? as in, do you want a 8gb player or will any size do?

  6. #6

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Knight View Post
    you could try the sonys.
    I have one and really like it. Dropped it once or twice, no problem so far.
    The sounds nice too. much better than my Hp's
    but firstly, what is the size of the mp3 player that you are aiming for? as in, do you want a 8gb player or will any size do?
    Yeah, the sonys are getting rave reviews for sound quality. So is the Sandisk though.

    In any case, Creative/Sandisk/sony will still sound better than an iPod. :P
    Alpha

  7. #7

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    I find Sony Ericsson phone is a good mp3 player.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  8. #8
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    ipod lor or Sony?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Yeah, the sonys are getting rave reviews for sound quality. So is the Sandisk though. In any case, Creative/Sandisk/sony will still sound better than an iPod. :P
    As mentioned by many bros here, iPod's SQ is not up to par. Hence, out of the equation. Sony? Can consider. Any models to recommend?
    Last edited by Canew; 2nd January 2009 at 01:27 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    I like my Sandisk Clip.
    Compact and does what I need it to - play music!
    My sentiments too! How much you paid for the Sandisk Clip, adamadam? And where did you purchase it?



    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The Sanza got some greeat reviews. Expandable memory too.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence for the Sandisk Sanza, Rashkae.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Knight View Post
    you could try the sonys.
    I have one and really like it. Dropped it once or twice, no problem so far.
    The sounds nice too. much better than my Hp's
    but firstly, what is the size of the mp3 player that you are aiming for? as in, do you want a 8gb player or will any size do?
    Any particular Sony model to recommend Grey Knight?
    Size? Anything above 2 GB will do for me. After all, mp3's are compressed. For non-compressed format, I use my iRiver portable CD player. The reason why I am looking for a mp3 player all of a sudden is because I find that the portable CD player not that 'portable' if I am not carrying a bag along. Hence, mp3 player.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    I find Sony Ericsson phone is a good mp3 player.
    Hmmmm, I am a Nokia phone user, hence this option is out for me. Thanks for recommending, anyway, megaweb.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Any comment on the Creative Zen Mosiac? The price is attractive. Link: http://sg.store.creative.com/product...=213&pid=17897

  13. #13
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    I also read in Stuff magazine that Ogg Vorbis is slated to replace mp3. Any comments on this format?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    UPDATE: Went out to give the Creative X-Fi today at the Creative Shop at Plaza Singapura. Somehow, the SQ from the X-Fi (which has quite a good rating) did not exactly impress me. Don't get me wrong, it is good, but seem to lack the 'oommppphhh.' BTW, the mp3 was encoded in 320 kbps bit rate. Maybe I've been listening to CDs for too long...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Any particular Sony model to recommend Grey Knight?
    Size? Anything above 2 GB will do for me. After all, mp3's are compressed. For non-compressed format, I use my iRiver portable CD player. The reason why I am looking for a mp3 player all of a sudden is because I find that the portable CD player not that 'portable' if I am not carrying a bag along. Hence, mp3 player.
    i got this:

    http://www.sony.com.sg/product/nwz-a726

    but the earpiece/headphone/IEM/ whatever you use to listen, makes a big difference.

    I tried all of the above and still like headphones best. I'm using my dad's sennheiser PX 200 for the moment and am loving the sound coming out of my player!

    hope this helps

  16. #16
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Knight View Post
    i got this:

    http://www.sony.com.sg/product/nwz-a726

    but the earpiece/headphone/IEM/ whatever you use to listen, makes a big difference.

    I tried all of the above and still like headphones best. I'm using my dad's sennheiser PX 200 for the moment and am loving the sound coming out of my player!

    hope this helps
    Thanks for the pointer and advice, Grey Knight.

  17. #17

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    I also read in Stuff magazine that Ogg Vorbis is slated to replace mp3. Any comments on this format?
    eeeh. My 5-year-old iriver supports Ogg, but you still don't see it mainstream. Ogg is a good format that will never be successful unless it makes it to the large players like creative, sony and Apple.
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Any particular Sony model to recommend Grey Knight?
    Size? Anything above 2 GB will do for me. After all, mp3's are compressed. For non-compressed format, I use my iRiver portable CD player. The reason why I am looking for a mp3 player all of a sudden is because I find that the portable CD player not that 'portable' if I am not carrying a bag along. Hence, mp3 player.
    You may also wan to consider Cowon. Their X5 had the best audio quality at the time, and their new stuff looks nice:

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12..._pmp_cowon_s9/

    Sony S series:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12...kman_nwz_s639/

    Sandisk:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06...ew_sansa_fuze/
    Alpha

  19. #19
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    eeeh. My 5-year-old iriver supports Ogg, but you still don't see it mainstream. Ogg is a good format that will never be successful unless it makes it to the large players like creative, sony and Apple.
    Ah! Now, I know better.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You may also wan to consider Cowon. Their X5 had the best audio quality at the time, and their new stuff looks nice:

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12..._pmp_cowon_s9/

    Sony S series:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12...kman_nwz_s639/

    Sandisk:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06...ew_sansa_fuze/
    Thanks for the links, Rashkae.

    From the 2nd link that you posted, it is gathered that the S Series is better than E Series. But from there is also the A Series. Is A Series the best?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: mp3 player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Thanks for the pointer and advice, Grey Knight.
    no prob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •