Thread: Lone Fisher (B&W)

Default Lone Fisher (B&W)

Hi all,

I took this photograph yesterday when I passed-by a lake near my place. I notice this man sitting alone, and give me this idea of taking a picture of him for post-processing into B&W. Deliberately positioned the subject at one corner with large area of the frame filled by the lake. I want to present a feel of loneliness of the fisher who waited patiently for a catch or two.

This photo was taken with:
    Canon 450D w EF-S 18-200mm at 200mm
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Exposure: 1/160s
    ISO: 200

C&C most welcome.

Default Re: Lone Fisher (B&W)

I like the idea. But, get rid of your 'logo' or watermark cos it's blocking your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    I like the idea. But, get rid of your 'logo' or watermark cos it's blocking your subject.
    Hi ArcticFox, thanks for commenting. Glad that this photo works for you.

I'd prefer

- a little more space around him i.e. not so close to the edge of the frame.
    - cropping away the far shore
    - shooting from a little further right if possible, to have him against the water
    - a little more contrast -- it's a little flat right now

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    I'd prefer

- shooting from a little further right if possible, to have him against the water
    I agree with the more breathing space, too tight I feel too. I would like to see more land too. place the fisherman "further" away from you, you can prone down to get this shot. Is the far away land suppose to be that dark, because the dark land gives a top framing which then don't have the wide open feeling. The wide open feeling is like taking a shot of the horizon where sky meets water only. That's a feeling of plain, large, and your subject is like a miniature in it

2 cents worth.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    I'd prefer

Thanks Edwin for the suggestions. I think these will definitely improve the quality of the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    I agree with the more breathing space, too tight I feel too. I would like to see more land too. place the fisherman "further" away from you, you can prone down to get this shot. Is the far away land suppose to be that dark, because the dark land gives a top framing which then don't have the wide open feeling. The wide open feeling is like taking a shot of the horizon where sky meets water only. That's a feeling of plain, large, and your subject is like a miniature in it

2 cents worth.
    Thanks David. I agree that the far away land is not adding to the wide-open feeling. Hence I have crop this photo with a 16X9 dimension. It is a small lake actually. Miniature subject is a good idea. I will try it next time.