Thread: Memory size & nos of shots

Default Memory size & nos of shots

Please help to explain this. My D300 says 303 shots + 15 buffers for a 8GB card to shoot RAW 14bit. On a recent trip, I shot 526 (including buffer). How this happen?

THe average size of each pic is 15MB thus 8GB would translate to approximately 533 shots Why does the cam says 303 + 15 shots and yet I can shoot 526?

The D300 manual says 75 shots + 21 buffer for RAW Loseless compressed 14bit for a 2GB card based on 16.7MB per pics. Mathematically, it would translate to approx 119. Why the variance?

Thank you,

KK

Default Re: Memory size & nos of shots

Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    Please help to explain this. My D300 says 303 shots + 15 buffers for a 8GB card to shoot RAW 14bit. On a recent trip, I shot 526 (including buffer). How this happen?

THe average size of each pic is 15MB thus 8GB would translate to approximately 533 shots Why does the cam says 303 + 15 shots and yet I can shoot 526?

The D300 manual says 75 shots + 21 buffer for RAW Loseless compressed 14bit for a 2GB card based on 16.7MB per pics. Mathematically, it would translate to approx 119. Why the variance?

Thank you,

KK

I am surprise you are so anal mathematically that you did not take out a calculator and actually add up all the byte per photos to see if they add up to the same total of 8 GB. heheheheheheheheh..

You have to take some lessons in graphic photo files. Not all photo files are of the same size. Why? It depends on the information that was capture and then converted into byte that results in the final file size.

This can be even more exaggerated if you shot in jpg. With compression involve this will give you even more uneven result file sizes across your entire series of photos you shot and store in that 8gig card. If you shoot a photo that has say a dark background like a shot of a person shot against a sea with a dark sky and body of water. Now you take another shot of say a very colourful scene in the brigh sunlight with a background that is a super colourful giant banner...and then you take another photo in day time with a muted colour scene like a bluish tint for example. If you look at the photo's file size for each one..they will never be the same..in fact you will see big difference. The most colourful one with the most intricate details will usually be the one with the highest file size.

It is not always about mathematics...there are so many issues that are involve lah. IDEALLY the manual of course will say so but that is just a guideline. How you set up your D300 to function will also increase it's file size and yes...even how long your battery will last and for how many frames it can shoot before it runs out of charge. If you don;t know how that is so? Well... just use my explanation about file size and extrapolate on that and you will know. If not I guess you have to type out another question here again heheheh...

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I am surprise you are so anal mathematically that you did not take out a calculator and actually add up all the byte per photos to see if they add up to the same total of 8 GB. heheheheheheheheh..

You have to take some lessons in graphic photo files. Not all photo files are of the same size. Why? It depends on the information that was capture and then converted into byte that results in the final file size.

This can be even more exaggerated if you shot in jpg. With compression involve this will give you even more uneven result file sizes across your entire series of photos you shot and store in that 8gig card. If you shoot a photo that has say a dark background like a shot of a person shot against a sea with a dark sky and body of water. Now you take another shot of say a very colourful scene in the brigh sunlight with a background that is a super colourful giant banner...and then you take another photo in day time with a muted colour scene like a bluish tint for example. If you look at the photo's file size for each one..they will never be the same..in fact you will see big difference. The most colourful one with the most intricate details will usually be the one with the highest file size.

It is not always about mathematics...there are so many issues that are involve lah. IDEALLY the manual of course will say so but that is just a guideline. How you set up your D300 to function will also increase it's file size and yes...even how long your battery will last and for how many frames it can shoot before it runs out of charge. If you don;t know how that is so? Well... just use my explanation about file size and extrapolate on that and you will know. If not I guess you have to type out another question here again heheheh...
    I am quite new to digital photography - my 1st DSLR the D300 came into my life last Feb - but I do know that different scene will result in different file size. Nikon's answer was similar to yours but it does not answer my question. Put aside the mathematics, how do you explain that I can shoot 526 pics when the counter said only 303 + 15? All shots are in RAW 14bit with sizes from 13MB to 16MB. I am not trying to do a mathematical discourse on bits vs bytes but want to be sure that I don't run out of shots especially when I am underwater. Up to this recent trip, I have religiously change to a new card when I am close to 300 shots. Thank you.

I am quite new to digital photography - my 1st DSLR the D300 came into my life last Feb - but I do know that different scene will result in different file size. Nikon's answer was similar to yours but it does not answer my question. Put aside the mathematics, how do you explain that I can shoot 526 pics when the counter said only 303 + 15? All shots are in RAW 14bit with sizes from 13MB to 16MB. I am not trying to do a mathematical discourse on bits vs bytes but want to be sure that I don't run out of shots especially when I am underwater. Up to this recent trip, I have religiously change to a new card when I am close to 300 shots. Thank you.
    okay check this out.... have you enabled Raw + Jpeg? That means for each raw you shoot, it will also add a jpeg version as well. I do that sometime with my D70. That would double my total.

Could your D300 and the CF card you use be not 100% compatible..that it is not able to see all 8gig of it?
    Last edited by sammy888; 2nd January 2009 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    okay check this out.... have you enabled Raw + Jpeg? That means for each raw you shoot, it will also add a jpeg version as well. I do that sometime with my D70. That would double my total.

Could your D300 and the CF card you use be not 100% compatible..that it is not able to see all 8gig of it?
    Nope. It was RAW only. If I set it to RAW + JPEG, the count is lower. If I set it to JPEG, the count is very much higher. It could be a compatible problem. I have 2 Sandisk Extreme III and 1 IV and they all give the same result. I will try to borrow other sizes of memory cards to check the count.

What about other D300 users? Do you guys encountered this situation? Thx.

Can those doing underwater photography lug along a second camera with another 8gb loaded?
    Or even a third and fourth camera?

I don't dive.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamK2008 View Post
    Can those doing underwater photography lug along a second camera with another 8gb loaded?
    Or even a third and fourth camera?

I don't dive.
    A second camera will be for reason of lens/scene options - macro and wide for example, as one cannot change lens underwater - rather than to extend the memory size. A 8GB (even with 303 shots) is more than adequate on one dive (usually not more than an hour).

Smile Re: Memory size & nos of shots

frankly if you shoot in raw, the file sizes are more or less the same, little difference.

I experience the same situation. if you take a few photos and check the counter, the #shots remaining decreases lower than the actual situation.

btw, should it be due to the camera model or CF card, i use D300 with SanDisk (the red & black model)
    Last edited by delsol; 11th January 2009 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by delsol View Post
    frankly if you shoot in raw, the file sizes are more or less the same, little difference.

I experience the same situation. if you take a few photos and check the counter, the #shots remaining decreases lower than the actual situation.

btw, should it be due to the camera model or CF card, i use D300 with SanDisk (the red & black model)
    This begs the question: does everyone religiously use the counter guide to replace a new card or it is a practice to push beyond zero count?

Well depending on your shooting style lor. If you thinks thers gonna be alot to shoot and no chance in the near future to change out a card and you got time now why not?
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    Well depending on your shooting style lor. If you thinks thers gonna be alot to shoot and no chance in the near future to change out a card and you got time now why not?
    I think you have missed my point. My question is: do you replace your card when the counter reached or near 0? Or continue to shoot without changing out the card, as I have did in this recent trip, such that I managed 526 shots?

If u change ISO setting the number of shots will change too .... check it out

As raptor84 mention, it really depends on your shooting style. As for me, it depends on the shoot. If it for fun, I normally take unit it has no memory ; no pictures can be taken. On assignment, I know I have a lot to shoot and no chance to change in the near future, I will change.

As for the counter, my Sony is also the same, it can state the number of shoots left I can shoot but usually I can take twice of that. When I was using Canon, it is more accurate in their estimate of shoot left; +/- 5 shots.

Thank you,

KK
    Well.. The 303 shots that is displayed on your camera is basically a theoretical estimate of the number of photos that you can capture with the 8GB card.. It is not a exact representation of how many photos that can be captured.. Hence, the difference in the number of photos displayed on your camera and the number of photos you actually capture..

I think you have missed my point. My question is: do you replace your card when the counter reached or near 0? Or continue to shoot without changing out the card, as I have did in this recent trip, such that I managed 526 shots?
    I think you misread raptor84's post. He meant that if the counter is nearing and you have the time to change your card now, why not? Rather than trying to shoot till the counter drops to zero and miss a photo opportunity when you need to change it later? There's no hard and fast rule as to when to change the card.

Quote Originally Posted by raghnall View Post
    I think you misread raptor84's post. He meant that if the counter is nearing and you have the time to change your card now, why not? Rather than trying to shoot till the counter drops to zero and miss a photo opportunity when you need to change it later? There's no hard and fast rule as to when to change the card.
    Thanks yea that was what I meant But yea sometimes my 5D will show only 220 on an empty 4gb car but can still shoot like close to 300. After awhile you also tend to know roughly how much your cam can take per card . Easier to estimate with RAW alone as the compression (for canon anyway) dosesnt cause the file size to deviate much.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Thank you everyone. You have answered my question. Another lesson learnt in digital photography.

vince123123
    Guests

Sometimes its a bug, my D100 can only show 300+ on an 8GB card, but on a 1GB card, it shows 102 free.