Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

  1. #1

    Smile 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    as above...
    I'm planning to get a 450D with kit lens but just wondering what else is needed for macro photography..
    is the kit lens sufficient for city landscape photography?
    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by Junjie90 View Post
    as above...
    I'm planning to get a 450D with kit lens but just wondering what else is needed for macro photography..
    is the kit lens sufficient for city landscape photography?
    Thanks in advance
    Start using what you have first... no point catching the BBB virus so soon....

  3. #3

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    the kit lens is fine for landscape.
    if u are interested in doing macro, and won't want to spend the $$ on a delicated macro lens, eg. Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro

    You can consider either getting a closeup filter (+1/+2/+3/+4), or a closeup lens (Raynox 250)
    another alternative would be to get an extension tube (with eletrical contacts)
    The above mentioned can be used to add onto your kit lens.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    昭南島
    Posts
    2,074

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Raynox DCR-250 will be a good choice to start macro with your kit lens.

    1.) It is relatively inexpensive.
    2.) Small and light. Easy to carry around.
    3.) Image quality is good.
    4.) No circuitry to breakdown.
    5.) The adapter fits a variety of lenses. Good for potentially another lens you might get in future and also easier to sell if you find you don't like macro.

    Do consider it.

    In case you will ask about how the IQ is like. This is what I shot last night with it attached onto a 50mm. Acceptable?

    | Canong 480D mk II | EF 18-55mm LV mk XOXO marco + Bougainvillea-shaped hood |

  5. #5
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by parampita View Post
    Raynox DCR-250 will be a good choice to start macro with your kit lens.

    1.) It is relatively inexpensive.
    2.) Small and light. Easy to carry around.
    3.) Image quality is good.
    4.) No circuitry to breakdown.
    5.) The adapter fits a variety of lenses. Good for potentially another lens you might get in future and also easier to sell if you find you don't like macro.

    Do consider it.

    In case you will ask about how the IQ is like. This is what I shot last night with it attached onto a 50mm. Acceptable?
    Nice..

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Why you care?
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by parampita View Post
    Raynox DCR-250 will be a good choice to start macro with your kit lens.

    1.) It is relatively inexpensive.
    2.) Small and light. Easy to carry around.
    3.) Image quality is good.
    4.) No circuitry to breakdown.
    5.) The adapter fits a variety of lenses. Good for potentially another lens you might get in future and also easier to sell if you find you don't like macro.

    Do consider it.

    In case you will ask about how the IQ is like. This is what I shot last night with it attached onto a 50mm. Acceptable?

    @parampita
    I just brought the Canon 100mm but your shot is much closer and sharper than mine.
    Can I still at this Raynox DCR-250 on to my lens or please teach me how to get this result with my present 100mm.

    Thanks a million
    Happy New Year.
    Peter

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    昭南島
    Posts
    2,074

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Hi Peter, not true. I have the 100mm macro too. It is as sharp as any lens. I would suggest you try to practice on your vanilla 100mm first, cos once u add the Raynox onto it, the DoF will be a challenge to handle.


    Quote Originally Posted by tanyc168 View Post
    @parampita
    I just brought the Canon 100mm but your shot is much closer and sharper than mine.
    Can I still at this Raynox DCR-250 on to my lens or please teach me how to get this result with my present 100mm.

    Thanks a million
    Happy New Year.
    Peter
    | Canong 480D mk II | EF 18-55mm LV mk XOXO marco + Bougainvillea-shaped hood |

  8. #8

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    how much is this Raynox DCR-250?
    350D 17-55mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8, 580mkII

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Why you care?
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by parampita View Post
    Hi Peter, not true. I have the 100mm macro too. It is as sharp as any lens. I would suggest you try to practice on your vanilla 100mm first, cos once u add the Raynox onto it, the DoF will be a challenge to handle.
    Dear Parampita,
    Thank you for your advise, I will try again at SBG next tuesday again.
    Hope to it well.

    Thank you again and wish you and family a prosperous 2009.

    Cheers!!!
    Peter

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Why you care?
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by tanyc168 View Post
    Dear Parampita,
    Thank you for your advise, I will try again at SBG next tuesday again.
    Hope to it well.

    Thank you again and wish you and family a prosperous 2009.

    Cheers!!!
    Peter
    Use of my 'Canon 100mm Macro lens,I tried again and again until I got these. Anyone, please comments to helpme improve my Macro shooting with thankyou.


    Last edited by tanyc168; 2nd January 2009 at 10:34 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    昭南島
    Posts
    2,074

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Try to focus on the eyes. In your shot, the legs are so much sharper but the eyes kinda oof.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyc168 View Post

    Composition. Dun see much of the hoppe here. Generally dun shoot from the butt unless you have a compelling reason to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyc168 View Post
    | Canong 480D mk II | EF 18-55mm LV mk XOXO marco + Bougainvillea-shaped hood |

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    昭南島
    Posts
    2,074

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Try to focus on the eyes. In your shot, the legs are so much sharper but the eyes kinda oof.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyc168 View Post

    Composition. Dun see much of the hoppe here. Generally dun shoot from the butt unless you have a compelling reason to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyc168 View Post
    | Canong 480D mk II | EF 18-55mm LV mk XOXO marco + Bougainvillea-shaped hood |

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Why you care?
    Posts
    50

    Smile Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by parampita View Post
    Try to focus on the eyes. In your shot, the legs are so much sharper but the eyes kinda oof.



    Composition. Dun see much of the hoppe here. Generally dun shoot from the butt unless you have a compelling reason to do so.
    @parampita

    Thankyou so much for your guide.
    Thanks again

  14. #14

    Default Re: 450D+ kit lens - what to get for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by parampita View Post
    Raynox DCR-250 will be a good choice to start macro with your kit lens.

    1.) It is relatively inexpensive.
    2.) Small and light. Easy to carry around.
    3.) Image quality is good.
    4.) No circuitry to breakdown.
    5.) The adapter fits a variety of lenses. Good for potentially another lens you might get in future and also easier to sell if you find you don't like macro.

    Do consider it.

    In case you will ask about how the IQ is like. This is what I shot last night with it attached onto a 50mm. Acceptable?






    I took this with just a D90 + 105mm kit lens (and it was blowing around in the wind).
    How will a Raynox DCR-250 help me? Will the object look 2.5x bigger?

    I took this at the closest range the lens would allow me (45cm)?

    Last edited by TroyP; 21st January 2009 at 05:41 PM.
    ex-Nikon owner - now only iPhone :/

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •